New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

Nortoons

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help me identify an old large-format film camera I saw for sale at an antique shop recently. I was quite taken with how nice it looked, and I snapped one photo of it (I should have taken more), and now I'm curious what kind of camera it was. The antique shop isn't close enough to warrant a trip back just to see what kind of camera it was (unless I'm absolutely unable to find anyone who can help me identify it), so I was hoping someone with a lot of knowledge of large-format cameras might be able to help! Anyway, here is the photo I took:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jr_norton82/15743106241/sizes/l

The lens is made by Wollensak in Rochester, NY, but I'm sure there are lots of different large format cameras with Wollensak lenses on them. It looked to me to be an 8x10 large format camera. Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to give me!

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:21 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

The folks at www.apug.org can answer this question with ease.

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:52 PM
Nortoons

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

Thank you for the advice! I'll try asking there, too!

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:55 PM
Simon Kennedy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

It looks lovely...

Jan 13, 2015 at 05:02 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

based on the size of the back, looks like an 8x10 view camera

lots of old ones made with wood

Google images link

Jan 13, 2015 at 05:13 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

Looks like a typical tailboard camera of that era. Useful for studio stuff, but since it doesn't fold, a bit of a hassle to use in the field. Would be interesting to play with but expect a lot of DIY to get it running properly. (shutter and bellows would be the first things to look at.) Probably late 1800s early 1900s vintage.

Jan 15, 2015 at 04:08 PM
bikemore
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

Or the Large Format Photography Forum

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM
tjack
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

Looks like it could be either a Burke & James or Ansco 8x10 or possibly 5x7.

The wood has probably been stripped and re-stained.

Do a search in google images, saw a few similar but could have been modified some too.

Jan 18, 2015 at 05:14 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

I would say that you may have better luck with Large Format Forum than with APUG. But, there are or were knowledgeable people on APUG that may be able to help. It is years since I participated on either forum and unfortunately, I am not familiar with that particular camera to be of any assistance.

Rich

Jan 18, 2015 at 05:18 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

This camera was made around 1900. Not earlier than than 1895, and no later than 1910. There were many makers then. This model is very unusual because of the long rectangular lens board. It might have been a stereo camera. In fact, I'm fairly sure of that (but not positive.) Take the back off and see if there's any grooves etc. for a divider down the middle so it could make two photos on one negative. Measuring the ground glass will give you the format. If it measures 5x7 or 8x10, it will probably be an American made camera. If it measures something weird like 6.25 x 8.75 inches, it will be British. (They used half plate and whole plate as format sizes.) By determining if it's American or British, and if it was stereo or not, you can begin to look up cameras of that era on the internet. My hunch is it's an American camera because of the pneumatic shutter. Wollensak and Bausch & Lomb were the two big lens & shutter makers at the time.

I don't think the camera is a tailboard, because there is a knob to adjust it on the front standard.

Kent in SD

Jan 18, 2015 at 08:34 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

The three things that make this camera a little different are (1) the long rectangular lens board (not square) (2) the double brass locking nuts on the front standard (3) the "S" curved lens board keepers. Here's a link of a site that has many middle period American view cameras. You'll have to sort through them brand by brand:

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/index.htm

Kent in SD

Jan 18, 2015 at 08:54 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help identifying an old, large-format film camera

I defer to Kent's much more knowledgeable data. ;-)

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.