Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Using long lens with BlackRapid Strap and monopod.

kabraxcis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using long lens with BlackRapid Strap and monopod.

So I am a big fan of BlackRapid (or other) straps, but also a fan of monopods.

When I used to use my 400/5.6 or a 80-200/2.8 I could afford to just mount the blackrapid on the body and the monopod on the lens, since I'm toting the monopod most of the time anyways.

However, I'm hesitant to do that with heavier lenses. And I haven't seen a picture of someone with a strap and monopod on such a lens. Is it possible? Why does nobody do it?

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using long lens with BlackRapid Strap and monopod.

I did it either way, but also had a short safety strap connecting the two connectR's in case the camera body accidentally separated from the lens.

Jan 13, 2015 at 04:50 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using long lens with BlackRapid Strap and monopod.

I do it when hiking with long lenses and tripods. However, note that there are two kinds of strap connections to your camera/lens. Both kinds connect to your threaded mount, but one kind monopolizes the mount and requires you to disconnect the strap to connect to your monopod/tripod. The other uses a connection setup with a built-in monopod/tripod plate (e.g., Arca Swiss style plate), which allows you to connect to your monopod/tripod without screwing/unscrewing anything. I use the plate type because (1) it is much more quick and convenient, and (2) safer because your camera/lens combo is always on the strap--and there is less chance of dropping your camera or lens while screwing/unscrewing connections. If you choose this type, be sure to get a strong one that attaches to the camera/lens base mount and not to the strap eyes.

Imagemaster's advice adds further safety.

Jan 14, 2015 at 03:33 PM
mallardg500
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using long lens with BlackRapid Strap and monopod.

I use OpTech Uni Loop (check their catalog) with the male side strapped to my lens and the other end to my body (adjusted to very short - 2X TC). My sling strap is attached on the foot of the lens which is arca type so the sling uses female arca. I shoot handheld a lot - I find this is the best way since I don't have to worry with too many straps. The Arca replacement foot has enough space for both monopod mound and strap so it's quite clean. The Uni Loop comes handy in the event you accidentally pressed the lens release.. I can take some picture if you want to see it.

Phoo

Jan 14, 2015 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.