Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

I found my uncropped 7D images better than my cropped 5D3 images. JMO.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

I use a 1.4x TC on FX first and then go to the cropped body rather than using a 2x on FX.

EBH

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:43 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

I agree with most of the points of skibum5. Smaller pixels will always yield more detail than larger pixels at focal length limited shots, provided the lens is sharp enough. Also, extending the "reach" via higher pixel density is preferable to optical TCs because of AF concerns.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:49 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

I suspect most here are talking about 1.4x II or III vs cropping, given that you are considering the FD 1.4x, It is worth a try to use the bare lens on a 70D / 7DII w/o TC first (rent?). Enjoy.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:59 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

I'm not all up on comparing crop vs non crop images to determine which is the better image as most who have posted here, but I use it all; 1.6 crop and 1.4tc, full frame with 1.4 and even no TC on occassions. I'm greedy and I want as much reach as I can possibly get with whatever camera I use that day. All those combinations produces the results I want. No matter what, I am going to have and will always probably need a TC for my style of shooting because I want it all. I want to do the least amount of cropping as possible, which is my shooting style.

Jan 14, 2015 at 08:58 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

So to answer the OP, there is no consensus.

Jan 14, 2015 at 09:54 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

kabraxcis wrote:
Time for me to find a FD 1.4xA

Most of the discussion here has been with the newer TCs. I suspect that they are optically much better than the old FD TC.

Back in the day (2004?) I shot nesting bald eagles with a Canon D60, 400mm f/5.6 and 1.4 TC. I had a tripod under the lens and a monopod under the camera. It was manual focus, of course, and I held my breath like a sniper before I clicked the shutter. The results were amazingly good. Yours should be much better.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

kabraxcis wrote:
I see, that makes sense. So I was wrong, got to look into a converter now.

Camera and lens in point were

6d, FD 800/5.6, 7d2 as crop body

since it's an FD lens, AF speed isn't of issue at all, and with nesting eagles I doubt fps is critical.

Time for me to find a FD 1.4xA

Since your FD lens is probably already set up for EOS body, perhaps you can you get better image quality by purchasing the EF 1.4X extender (VII or VIII)?

Also, since you are manually focusing and tripod limited anyway, you might consider an EF (or FD) to Sony E-mount adaptor (about $20) and a Sony A6000 body, a 24MP crop. It has good manual focus assist capabilities, 11FPS, and WI-FI. It is not as rugged as a 7DII, but may be close to the 6D. If interested you might ask about this setup in the Alternate or Sony forums.

Steve

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

Kabraxis, how are you adapting your FD lens to your EOS body? Shooting eagles you're wanting infinity focus which I hear requires adaptors with lenses which can cause optical degradation. Just curious what your solution has been.

Jan 14, 2015 at 01:28 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

The thing is my FD lens isn't converted to EF mount yet.

The EdMika 0.7mm adapter allows for infinity focus on longer lenses because they are designed to focus past infinity

Jan 14, 2015 at 02:04 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

kabraxcis wrote:

The EdMika 0.7mm adapter allows for infinity focus on longer lenses because they are designed to focus past infinity

If you choose to go with the Sony mirrorless, there are direct FD to E-mount adaptors that pretty inexpensive.

Steve

Jan 14, 2015 at 02:37 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What's the consensus on Teleconverter vs Crop(Body)?

kabraxcis wrote:

You should be able to mount the EdMika adapter on an EF 1.4 teleconverter.

Jan 15, 2015 at 08:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.