New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · ICC Profile Problem

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ICC Profile Problem

I have been making prints professionally for over 10 years now, and do post production for a whole load of fine art gallery photographers. I even teach color management professionally. But this one is really frustrating me!

In PS CC 2014, when I load an ICC profile into the proper location: Windows/System32/Spool/Drivers/Color, AND install the profile, it is NOT showing up in my PS soft-proofing option: View/Proof Setup/Custom/Device to Simulate.

This has never happened before. I have tried a couple different profiles.

They also do not show up in Camera Raw soft-proofing or Lightroom. I use Camera Raw BTW...

Any help would very much be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

Jan 12, 2015 at 06:23 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ICC Profile Problem

Here are two quick thoughts:

- Possible corruption of profile. There are utilities like those from Colorthink that will do diagnostics on profiles.

- Profiles have the file name and they usually have an internal name/description. Sometimes those things are different. So if you haven't already, you may want to do a double-check of the list of profiles in the soft-proof to see if maybe the profile is really there, but under a slightly different name. Again, there are also diagnostic utilities that will show internal profile names as well as the external file name.

Jan 12, 2015 at 07:23 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ICC Profile Problem

Are these version 2 or version 4 profiles? Did they used to show up in older versions of Photoshop? Have you run the profile doctor function in ColorThink Professional? Every single profile I've used successfully in earlier versions of Photoshop, Linocolor, Trident, etc, all show up and work fine in Photoshop CC 2014, but on a Mac and not PC. Maybe it's a platform issue as well.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:35 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ICC Profile Problem

Are these version 2 or version 4 profiles? You should be using v2, not v4. Did they used to show up in older versions of Photoshop? Have you run the profile doctor function in ColorThink Professional? Every single profile I've used successfully in earlier versions of Photoshop, Linocolor, Trident, etc, all show up and work fine in Photoshop CC 2014, but on a Mac and not PC. Maybe it's a platform issue as well.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ICC Profile Problem

Thanks both of you.

Peter Figen wrote:
Are these version 2 or version 4 profiles? You should be using v2, not v4. Did they used to show up in older versions of Photoshop? Have you run the profile doctor function in ColorThink Professional? Every single profile I've used successfully in earlier versions of Photoshop, Linocolor, Trident, etc, all show up and work fine in Photoshop CC 2014, but on a Mac and not PC. Maybe it's a platform issue as well.

How do I know what version they are? I cant find that in properties.

These are more recent profiles so i did not use them in old versions of PS. They are from West Coast.

I don't have Colorthink Pro. Should I get it?

Jan 13, 2015 at 05:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ICC Profile Problem

Mark Metternich wrote:
They are from West Coast.

Have you asked them yet? They might have run into this before and have an answer ready.

I've run into the profile/file name confusion before, so that is worth checking, too.

Jan 13, 2015 at 05:39 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ICC Profile Problem

Anyone who deals with profiles on a regular basis other than the ones that ship with Photoshop should probably have ColorThink. It's the best tool out there for examining, troubleshooting and organizing. www.chromix.com will get you there. If it is a naming issue, and that's something I would doubt coming from a commercial lab, ColorThink would easily fix that. If it's a version two vs. four issue, then they have to rebuild the profiles. I've been making and using custom profiles for close to twenty years now and have never ever seen a corrupt one, although anything is theoretically possible. Just not likely. If West Coast is using X-Rite software, then it's very likely they made version four profiles, as X-rite, for some stupid reason still defaults to that option, and too many folks using that software have no idea either how to change it or why you would want to.

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:26 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ICC Profile Problem

Hi Mark
Have you verified that the .icc or .icm file is acutally there in the system folder location?

Any way you could provide a link the particular .icc or .icm file for other forum members to examine for issues?

Just a suggestion.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:14 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ICC Profile Problem

Sorry, I travel A LOT! I'll be back on this very soon and my replying! Thank you for the help!

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ICC Profile Problem

John Wheeler wrote:
Hi Mark
Have you verified that the .icc or .icm file is acutally there in the system folder location?

Any way you could provide a link the particular .icc or .icm file for other forum members to examine for issues?

Just a suggestion.

Yes, Control Panel > Color Management > then the All Profiles tab at the top will give you a list of every profile that has been installed.

Brian A

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.