Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · BeanBag users - What do you fill your BeanBags with?

frdjohns
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · BeanBag users - What do you fill your BeanBags with?

YneGrwr wrote:
Another option for those who don't already have a bean bag. I use a 2' x 3" piece of foam pipe insulation. Fits right over the slightly raised car window and provides good stability and vibration reduction. And it's cheap!

What a great idea!

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:34 AM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · BeanBag users - What do you fill your BeanBags with?

The Sack shown above is homemade by my wife and filled with very small plastic pellets about the same size as rice. It weighs almost 15lbs 80% filled. Very heavy, but gives me very stable platform, I can literally drive as shown, slowly on auto-tour route at local wildlife area holding with my left hand for added safety.

I'm not sure if I could get the same sturdy support from buckwheat hulls, will report back when I replace it with them.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · BeanBag users - What do you fill your BeanBags with?

cohenfive wrote:
How many pounds do you need for a normal photo beanbag? Maybe I'll switch from beans...

5 pounds should be more than sufficient for any size beanbag. But ordered 10 pounds, wanted to fill my pillow with buckwheat hulls. I sweat too much after neck surgery(not sure if it's the cause, though), my pillow gets soggy in the morning.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:40 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · BeanBag users - What do you fill your BeanBags with?

I use chickpeas. They're not as smooth or regular as beans so don't shift as easily, and they weigh much less. But I've also made supports out of anything available at the time, by pulling a sock, stuffing it with gravel, and tying off the opening. For a car window my main concern is scraping up the door with the foot of a large, heavy lens. I have a Kirk window mount, but most of the time just about any piece of foam like a piece from an old sleeping pad, or a blanket will work just fine.

Jan 17, 2015 at 02:05 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.