FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

jmphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

I am in the process of downsizing my gear. At the current time I am part SLR and part mirrorless (Fuji XT1) with grip. I had a lowepro pro roller and it was too massive anymore. I picked up a Dome F2 and I'm not sure if it is big enough. I can fit all my gear, but I have to break everything down to get it to fit. I know, I am too picky. I don't want a massive bag, but I don't want to have to break all the gear down to store it. looking to keep 1-SLR body w/grip and lens (like 24-70 2.8). Fuji XT1 with grip and lens. A couple Nikon strobes and a couple lenses. Any suggestions? What are you guys doing? Are you breaking your gear down between locations on a wedding?
Thanks

Jan 12, 2015 at 02:16 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

I think you need to first figure out how you want to carry:

Shoulder bag, Backpack or Roller bag

I use Think Tank roller bags. My camera gear is stored in a TT Airport International bag. I usually just commit to one camera and lens at a time....so I pull by bag with one hand and hold my camera lens in the other. (I don't use straps) I leave everything broken down until I need it, but take off lens caps prior to event so I can switch quickly if need be.

For my film work I have a super old LowePro shoulder bag which holds all my film, my Rolleiflex and my Bronica system. Again, I leave everything broken down until I need it.

Jan 12, 2015 at 02:37 PM
jmphotography
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have specified more. I had a roller and it was nice and big, but a pain to carry. I want a shoulder bag. But I would be open to backpack, but I didn't think that would be practical for weddings.

Jan 12, 2015 at 02:50 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

The best shoulderbag I ever owned was the lowepro stealth reporter 550. It just became too heavy for me and I much prefer roller cases. BUT....great bag. That's the biggest of the stealth reporter line...so they have smaller versions.

Jan 12, 2015 at 03:27 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

I have to break down my gear to store it. And I love it this way. Itīs the perfect compromise.

I can fit everything in on travel/move to location. Once there I assemble the gear, put the cameras on and the remaining things fit perfectly and loose into bag. No fiddling getting out a lens, a flash, a something.

Most effective way in using a bag in my opinion. Oh, I use a Domke F2 without the side-bags.

heiko

Jan 12, 2015 at 03:27 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

Domke F7.

Jan 12, 2015 at 03:47 PM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

I have a Tamrac Aria 6 that I generally keep on me during weddings and photo shoots.
I do have the Lowepro flipside 300 and really like it. It isn't super practical for a wedding but is nice for when I am traveling.

During travel I keep all my excess gear in the lowepro and then when I get to location I will put what I need in the Aria (lenses, flashes, backup camera)

Jan 12, 2015 at 05:03 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

For all day weddings, it's:

TT Airport Security V2 - Bodies, lenses, misc.
Pelican 1510 - All lighting gear and chargers

For anything shorter than 9h-ish, it's just the Airport Security.

I can't do shoulder bags or backpacks anymore. Apart from the strain on my shoulders and neck, it looks a little hacky (IMO).

Jan 12, 2015 at 05:59 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

The airport navigator is amazing.

It is a touch small for all of my gear (sometimes I have no room for my strobes), but it would be perfect for a "heavy" fuji kit.

I use the TT retrospective 7/30 for personal stuff. The 30 might be big enough.

Jan 12, 2015 at 06:21 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

jmphotography wrote:

What are you guys doing? Are you breaking your gear down between locations on a wedding?

I don't break it down between locations and I don't bag it between locations, either. Between locations I keep the camera-with-lens-attached around my neck or on my lap or on a seat, or even on the floor of the vehicle.

Jan 13, 2015 at 05:20 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

Since switching to Fuji I am looking for a new bag too. It seems I am never happy with the bags I get. Maybe its time for a case and then use a small shoulder bag while on the job to carry a few lenses?

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM
jmphotography
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

That is what I am leaning towards. I ordered an Ona, small messenger bag for daily carry bag, one Fuji body and a lens or two. Now I am looking at the Lowepro Magnum 400AW as my working bag to take to a shoot or wedding holding all essential gear.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding shooter/gear bag help

I just spent the last 4 hours searching B&H for "THE BAG" lol Still haven't found one I LOVE.

Jan 13, 2015 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.