Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2015 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Sure, why not.
135 mm is not exactly the most difficult focal length to manufacture. I'm mildly surprised that Canon and Nikon have not updated their old lenses.

EBH

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:38 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Just spent 2 weeks with the Rokinon 135 and I have to say it's pretty damn fine for a $500 lens. It's sharp, colors are decent and the bokeh isn't bad either. My only complaint is the focus ring is a pain in the ass. You have to really turn it a lot to go from focusing on something close to far away. Luckily I don't do the so often at weddings do it should be just fine. And it's also pretty big and heavy but hey, it's like having a 200 f2 since I'm using it on the Fuji X. Looking forward rockin this at weddings this year.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

EB-1 wrote:
Pick one between "<1k" and "blows everything else away."

EBH

Why? The Canon is £750 and Nikon is £850. The sigma art lenses are £650ish.

Feb 21, 2015 at 04:43 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Mark_L wrote:
Why? The Canon is £750 and Nikon is £850. The sigma art lenses are £650ish.

I was not logged in and did not see your location to assign correct currency units. However, I was also thinking of the Zeiss 135/2.

EBH

Feb 21, 2015 at 04:57 PM
Dan Knowlton

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Manual focus does not bother me. For sports, landscapes and other static images, I find I get a higher percentage of keepers with manual focus. For photographing dogs, cats and fish I do better with autofocus.

Dan

Feb 21, 2015 at 09:23 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Dan Knowlton wrote:
Manual focus does not bother me. For sports, landscapes and other static images, I find I get a higher percentage of keepers with manual focus. For photographing dogs, cats and fish I do better with autofocus.

Dan

Interesting, I wonder how shooting sports with a MF would provide a higher percentage of keepers than AF especially when you're tracking unpredictable action that's coming towards you or away from you and using f/2-f/2.8 apertures?

Feb 21, 2015 at 09:42 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

I wonder what sport that is

EBH

Feb 21, 2015 at 09:43 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

EB-1 wrote:
I wonder what sport that is

EBH

Underwater basket weaving competitions?

I guess any sport where you have a set distance of where the action takes place could be pretty easy with MF, but then when the action changes and you get an intense few seconds of the unexpected, then I'd say AF keepers would be higher than MF keepers.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:18 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Awesome.

We'll see happens in a a few months with the price but I can see this ending up in my kit.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:35 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I agree that something does not add up. From these samples, it looks bad even in the center...

The Canon 135 f/2L looks better wide open than the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II wide open @ its 135mm sweet spot and we never complained about the zoom performance.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=108&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=0

Yeah my copy of the 135mm f2 l was a cracker. I never really stopped it down because it was that Damn good at f2

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM
tr1957
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Interesting that many people mention the manual focus but few seem to care about the stop down aperture. Is this because they always plan on shooting wide open? Focusing stopped down is usually difficult due to the dark viewfinder, and focus then stop down is incredibly slow. Even in the days of manual focus (1970s and on) lenses had automatic apertures to allow wide open focus at any shooting aperture.

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:00 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

tr1957 wrote:
Interesting that many people mention the manual focus but few seem to care about the stop down aperture. Is this because they always plan on shooting wide open? Focusing stopped down is usually difficult due to the dark viewfinder, and focus then stop down is incredibly slow. Even in the days of manual focus (1970s and on) lenses had automatic apertures to allow wide open focus at any shooting aperture.

the vast majority of people interested in this lens intend to shoot at f2-2.8 almost always.

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:56 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

can't believe in 2015 we are still producing manual focus lenses. Then rave when we managed to get one sharp image...

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

tr1957 wrote:

OMG, really!

Is the lack of aperture control only for the electrical diaphragms and maybe not Nikon F mount?

EBH

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

DmitriM wrote:
can't believe in 2015 we are still producing manual focus lenses. Then rave when we managed to get one sharp image...

Uh, I get lots of sharp images with my manual focus lenses. It's not the manual focus of the lens that's the problem, it's the poor optical viewfinders and insensitive PDAF focus confirm indicators in the viewfinder that are the problem.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:50 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

brett maxwell wrote:
the vast majority of people interested in this lens intend to shoot at f2-2.8 almost always.

Exactly. Just like I shoot my 135/2 APO Ziess and all the rest of my fast glass.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:52 AM
scst48

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

jhinkey wrote:
Uh, I get lots of sharp images with my manual focus lenses. It's not the manual focus of the lens that's the problem, it's the poor optical viewfinders and insensitive PDAF focus confirm indicators in the viewfinder that are the problem.

I had the ZEISS APO for almost 18 months. Only few keepers (25%) out of 100 shots. If light condition is dark and people move I really wonder how to use the lens handheld. Using a tripod is mandatory and mirror slap (D800/E) has some significant influence as well.

I wonder why the D810 viewfinder should be poor? And, of course the PDAF has a +/- drift but this can be trained and with some experience you will know the position where focus is achieved.

The lens itself is exceptional. Wonder as well why ZEISS is not implementing AF since they do it with other lenses.
One reason could be the cheap sales price which holds them up to add AF or VR to the package. They might will come out with an APO-S 5000,- USD version in the long run including these features which are quite standard today.

Feb 24, 2015 at 03:05 AM
Camtography

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Thread bump. Image taken over the July holiday. These Samyang/Rokinon lenses are such a treat to use. I simply love this focal length for portraits.

Sleeping Beauty - Rachel and Corey by Camtography, on Flickr

Jul 07, 2015 at 01:50 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

Zeiss-like results from lenstip's review.

One can only dream of what a sigma art version would be like.

Jul 07, 2015 at 07:22 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC officially announced!

scst48 wrote:
The lens itself is exceptional. Wonder as well why ZEISS is not implementing AF since they do it with other lenses.

Zeiss has no problem implementing AF or OIS; their issue is with the PDAF systems in current DSLRs and the inherent problems with getting AF accurate, so you're not going to see a Zeiss AF lens for a DSLR mount.

However, they are quite happily pumping out AF lenses for mirrorless mounts- assuming Canon decides to get on the ball, we could see Zeiss AF lenses for the EF-M mount quite soon.

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:47 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.