New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Best underwater camera?

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best underwater camera?

Hola.

My Canon D20 gave up the ghost on vacation so now I need a replacement for underwater and beach shooting. The options appear to be (1) Some form of GoPro with Dive Housing; (2) The D30 replacement for the D20; (3) Other major brand snorkel/dive cameras; (4) Various specialty underwater camera makers.

Opinions on the best way to go?

Thanks,
ALF

Jan 12, 2015 at 04:59 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best underwater camera?

How deep ?

What type of budget ?

What type of size/weight do you want to stick with ?

A FF DSLR in a dive housing vs a waterproof compact certainly differ in ability, size/weight, and cost for example.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best underwater camera?

If you want a rock solid indestructible camera and you dont necessarily need digital you can get a Nikonos V with a lens for under $150 if you look around

Other than that ive only used an old Galaxy S 3 in an underwater housing that was pretty cheap and worked nicely

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best underwater camera?

Besides film cameras like the Nikonos there is in my opinion only one good choice below 1000 €: The Nikon 1 AW1. The kit zoom lens is very sharp and with enough light the IQ is very good, much closer to a FF DSLF than to any of the waterproof P&S camera, inlcuding the Olympus TG-3. You should just avoid high ISO.

Boris

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:35 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best underwater camera?

AW1 is indeed a good choice. Looks darn awesome in the chrome finish too

Only "issue" that I found with one was that the 11-27mm includes zoom, on a 2.7x crop factor, isn't super wide, especially under water.

I used to use a 5D with 17-40, and found that in the water even 17mm wasn't really wide enough. Wished I could of afforded a dome port in order to use my fisheye in fact. Depends on how you want to shoot though

Another option that I think offers some serious bang for the buck in a Sony RX100. You can pick these up quite cheap, and they have some decent housing for under $200. You get a 20meg 1" sensor which is much better than a P&S and a decent dive style housing for less than $500.

My most used camera of everything I've owned though is just my old Panny TZ20 or whatever its called. Just a basic P&S with a 25mm equiv wide end, fits into my pocket, and if I lose it I hardly care as its worth like $100. Actually takes nice images though and is fun to have.

My 5D in dive housing was a big heavy beast and I remember trying to take that rig via some little 4 seater planes to various islands, along with the rest of my gear, total pain having so much to carry.

Realistically, except for sports stuff I've shot underwater, I've never done anything with underwater pics after I get home. Its basically "here's a pic of a fish". Fun to take them but then what do you do with them ?

Shots from my $100 p&s sit on the HD right along side shots from my $3000 5D rig, both gathering virtual dust.

Jan 12, 2015 at 01:03 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best underwater camera?

I did this on the cheap last year and talked about it in this thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1309247

One thing to remember is that no manufacturer has a warranty on housings. You use them at your own risk.

Shooting underwater is difficult. All the things you know about photography go to pot so the less you have to worry about, the better. Unless you are experienced, I recommend a P&S in a simple housing over a dSLR.

Jan 15, 2015 at 04:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.