Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Some lighting help please!!

Lilki
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some lighting help please!!

I am pretty much brand new to portrait photography and I'm trying to figure the lighting out. I'm not really happy with these and I'm not sure where I went wrong. My "studio" is a bit tight for space right now and I think maybe I had to lights too close to my subjects. Everything was really washed out SOC and I was getting some shadows where I didn't want them. Some lighting and editing advice from someone with more experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
fuzzle.jpg by fzzlcat, on Flickr
kiera horsea.jpg by fzzlcat, on Flickrfzzlcat, on Flickr

The last one is cropped tight because there was black banding at the bottom. My shutter speed was 1/250th, which I thought would be ok. I'm using a 5dmkiii.

Edited on Jan 11, 2015 at 07:19 PM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2015 at 07:18 PM
Lilki
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some lighting help please!!

kiera dog.jpg by fzzlcat, on Flickr

oops

Jan 11, 2015 at 07:18 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some lighting help please!!

The whole idea of having a grey backdrop is to keep it neutral.

Are you shooting through umbrellas? as the whole set up is flooded.

With flash/strobe you need first to light the background and then your other lights and last your key light.

For such shoot, a nice large softbox with some flags and a couple of strip side lights will enable you to control the whole scene.

I need to know whether you are using a shoot through umbrella in which case ditch them...there are two lights in there? No?
Use one source only, close to the subject, fast shutter speed and/or stop down your lens....and do not be afraid of shadows......many people myself included light for shadows.

If you look at your histogram, you will notice the black is almost non existent and you are very high in midtones=wash out as no black blacks or white whites.
- The easiest way to solve that is to use levels and bring your blacks back. Or a contrast curve .
- A more complicated way is to mask the background and cc to your liking.
- The best way would be to process with Frequency Separation each level independently.

.....and if you are a retoucher maverick, you would dodge and burn the image intuitively.

No easy ride, I am afraid.

Good Luck

P.S. The cat need to visit the grooming salon before a shoot

Jan 12, 2015 at 01:55 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some lighting help please!!

Lighting people is different from lighting products and documents. Us light to show shapes and the three dimensional nature of the subject. Too much light, light from too many directions and too consistent makes subjects look flat and two dimensional. Read up on the basic light set-ups and the topic of lighting ratios for a start.

Jan 12, 2015 at 02:14 AM
Lilki
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some lighting help please!!

Almass wrote:
The whole idea of having a grey backdrop is to keep it neutral.

Are you shooting through umbrellas? as the whole set up is flooded.

With flash/strobe you need first to light the background and then your other lights and last your key light.

For such shoot, a nice large softbox with some flags and a couple of strip side lights will enable you to control the whole scene.

I need to know whether you are using a shoot through umbrella in which case ditch them...there are two lights in there? No?
Use one source only, close to the subject, fast shutter speed and/or stop
...Show more
Thank you so much for your insightful reply. I'm in a rather sad and somewhat unique situation in that I have inherited some lighting gear that I am trying to learn how to use. I think there are some things missing, as I have found things like small octagon diffusers but no accompanying soft boxes. Here's what I've found: 1 AB (Alien Bees) 1600, 2 AB800, 1 AB400, 1 cybercommander, 3 receivers, 1 large octagonal soft box w/ diffuser, 1 large umbrella w/ diffuser.

Most of the background stuff I found at the swap meet: 3 rolls of seamless paper: grey, blue, and red. One dark brown canvas background and one that looks like the sky. Phew!

I will definitely check into some of the equipment you recommended, thanks! Good photographers make it look so easy when, most assuredly, it is not! I did play with the levels but, to be honest, I think most from this attempt were overexposed.

The cat was a photo of opportunity as, being a cat, he plunked himself in the middle of what I was doing.
I agree he could use a date with a groomer.
---------------------------------------------

AuntiPode wrote:
Lighting people is different from lighting products and documents. Us light to show shapes and the three dimensional nature of the subject. Too much light, light from too many directions and too consistent makes subjects look flat and two dimensional. Read up on the basic light set-ups and the topic of lighting ratios for a start.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. People need dimension. I think I'll pay Dr Google a visit for some tips on lighting setups. Thank you so much for the reply.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some lighting help please!!

There's more than one way to skin the cat @ learning your lighting.

To augment what has been said, experimentation / observation can be a very good teaching model, but it is one to be approached methodically. Jockeying around too many variables can make it difficult to understand the "cause & effect" relationships. One such classic approach is to start with a single light and work with it to build your understanding of modeling / shadows / falloff / etc. ... then bulid / progress to two lights, etc.

I think that this is in part what Almass is inferring (please correct if I misstated) @ background, other, key ... rather than trying to light it as a whole, a need to understand the parts. Something to be aware of as you "copy" other folks lighting setup. In the end, your ability to understand the pieces of the puzzle will give you the freedom to build your lighting as you desire to present your subject.

Your very quick assessment of "not as easy as it looks" ... will serve you well. It's really not that hard, but it does warrant the diligence to learn (as does anything worthwhile). The good news is that if you are a fan of learning and growth, you'll take to it like a duck to water.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.