New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

mhp_sd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

I've searched everywhere I can think but can't figure out the answer to this - if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I have the camera set up to use the multicontroller/joystick to directly adjust the focus point without having to hit the AF point selection button.

Most of the time I would like to rely on the cameras autofocus, but occasionally it picks the wrong spot to focus. Are there only certain modes that allow me to use the joystick to override the camera's autofocus point selection? Once I over-ride it, how do I allow the camera to start picking the autofocus point automatically again?

Any other hints?

Thanks,
Mark

Jan 11, 2015 at 07:17 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Just wondering how you can set the joystick to move focus point without hitting the af point selection button first? Would be handy.

Jan 11, 2015 at 08:00 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

From Canon digital learning center:

go to custom functions menu
select custom controls > multi-controller icon
highlight the AF point icon <AF Point Direct Selection> and press the set button

I think you can also get there from the Q menu, custom controls

Edited on Jan 12, 2015 at 09:30 AM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2015 at 08:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

There are a few other settings which could effect AF point selection such as expansion - you'd have to carefully check your settings if you think the camera is selecting the wrong point to focus.

Jan 11, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

mhp_sd wrote:
Copied from http://digital-photography-school.com/focusing-quick-tip-single-point-af-methods/ :

go to the custom functions located in the second to last section of menu options. Select ‘C.Fn III:Autofocus/ Drive.’ Be sure to hit the set button on the control wheel to the right to go into the next menu.

The default setting here is “0:Normal,” which means that you have to hit the grid button on the upper right part of the camera back, then select a focus point using the joystick. To change this to method 2 just scroll down to option 1 (Multo-controller direct) and select it using the SET button. Once you’ve done this, look
...Show more

I was really wondering what I was missing when I couldn't find C.Fn III:Autofocus/ Drive; I followed that link and saw that the camera shown is not the 5D III.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:56 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Uggh.

Too many open windows - copied the wrong thing. Above post edited. Sorry, hope this works.

Jan 12, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Nope - that's still not the 5D III. I'd like to be able to change the AF point directly too, but I don't know how to do it without pressing the AF Point Selection button first.

Jan 12, 2015 at 05:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Nope - that's still not the 5D III. I'd like to be able to change the AF point directly too, but I don't know how to do it without pressing the AF Point Selection button first.

You can do this easily by assigning a custom control. See pp. 327-336 of the 5D III manual and specifically p 332.

Jan 12, 2015 at 08:17 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Pretty sure that's set in the Custom Functions, last item in the screen is the Multi-Controller. So from the back of your camera hit the 'Q' button, select the Custom Controls option, then you have 10 (I think) items that you can change. The last one is for the action of the Multi-Controller (the joystick). Pretty sure that's the setting you need to enable. Not sure what the default state is, but it's not set to off on mine and I'm able to move the AF point using the joystick, after the camera is activated by a half-shutter push. It won't move unless the camera is activated.

Jan 12, 2015 at 08:24 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Pixel Perfect wrote:
You can do this easily by assigning a custom control. See pp. 327-336 of the 5D III manual and specifically p 332.

Beat me to it. Nice work. Bonus points for having the manual reference as well!

Jan 12, 2015 at 08:25 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

I can set it so that I can change the AF point selection with the joystick after pressing the AF Point Selection button or half-pressing the shutter button, but that's not what I meant I'd like to be able to do. I'd like to be able to change it with the joystick while the camera is just in waiting mode. I guess it doesn't have that capability...

Jan 12, 2015 at 09:02 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Did you read the manual:

Right. That is during metering. You must half press the shutter or some other button to start metering. He is saying he would like to be able to move the point while the camera is not metering. I think magic lantern allows one to change the metering time out, does it not? Something to look into if it is that important.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:53 AM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

Not possible.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

JakAHearts wrote:
Right. That is during metering. You must half press the shutter or some other button to start metering. He is saying he would like to be able to move the point while the camera is not metering. I think magic lantern allows one to change the metering time out, does it not? Something to look into if it is that important.

If the camera is on but the shutter is not half-depressed the camera has no idea you want to change the AF point because there is no AF point active to change

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D III autofocus point selection - multicontroller - joystick

But when you start AF, it still remembers the last chosen point. What I'd like, but obviously isn't available, would be the ability to change that point at will without having to press the AF Point Selection button first. I'm repeating myself, but at least one earlier commenter did not understand.

Jan 13, 2015 at 01:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.