New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Leonbergers in Snow

John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leonbergers in Snow

With a bit of a relative cold snap here in Pittsburgh, Medley and Anchor enjoy a light snow. These creatures are the love of our lives.

As an aside, these were taken with the newly released Canon 100-400 II lens. This lens really does impress, probably more than bench testing scores alone predict, in my opinion.

Best wishes,

John-

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2015/20150110_Anchor_Medley_Snow/1600px/_81W3233.jpg

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2015/20150110_Anchor_Medley_Snow/1600px/_81W3238.jpg

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2015/20150110_Anchor_Medley_Snow/1600px/_81W3239.jpg

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2015/20150110_Anchor_Medley_Snow/1600px/_81W3269.jpg

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2015/20150110_Anchor_Medley_Snow/1600px/_81W3294.jpg

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87879474/Photography/Images/2015/20150110_Anchor_Medley_Snow/1600px/_81W3297.jpg

Jan 11, 2015 at 05:05 PM
bob parrish
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leonbergers in Snow

One of the coolest dogs in the universe. Great pics!

Jan 11, 2015 at 05:23 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leonbergers in Snow

Great looking dogs. You might try warming up the color balance a touch on these--I think the colors of the dogs will come out a little better. These seem like my old Berner. He always loved the snow and would be happy to go out on our porch and lie on the snow as long as we would let him.

Thanks for the post.

Dave

Jan 11, 2015 at 07:59 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leonbergers in Snow

Really nice set John. I agree with the warming comment above, but they look fine as posted. #2 is my pick if I had to choose one.

Jan 12, 2015 at 03:09 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leonbergers in Snow

Thanks for the interest, all. The leonberger is a breed we find so great and we're very much attached - probably for our entire lives or until we're not physically capable of handling a dog of this physicality.

Warming the images would be artistically fine, of course, but wouldn't accurately reflect the light temperature of the scene at hand.

Thanks again,

John-

Jan 12, 2015 at 04:04 PM
BooBug

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leonbergers in Snow

my beautiful friends! So happy that Medley and anchor were able to have their own Pittsburgh snow party!
your images make me so happy! my fave is # 4, just magical!
Balto sends snow kisses from Colorado!

Jan 13, 2015 at 06:01 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leonbergers in Snow

Great dogs, nice pics. What Dave is saying is that even the snow has a slight blue tint. I suggest shifting the snow to white and I think you will like these even better.
Don

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:18 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leonbergers in Snow

How wonderful!

Nice photos and even nicer to see them enjoying the winter snow and cool weather.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leonbergers in Snow

Beautiful images of very beautiful dogs !!

I've never even heard of that breed before.

TFS!

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leonbergers in Snow

Wonderful shots. I too, think these are gorgeous dogs, and FM is where I first learned of them some time back. Perhaps they were yours!

Jan 14, 2015 at 09:11 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leonbergers in Snow

Maybe so, Sharona, but BooBug (above) also has a leonberger named Balto. Balto has a few portraits on the forum also which you may have seen.

We've never gotten over their beauty; we still marvel at them honestly. Thanks for your interest.

John-

Jan 14, 2015 at 09:37 PM
Harmonysmom

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leonbergers in Snow

Gorgeous dogs and photos!

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:19 PM
pagekuepper

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leonbergers in Snow

Beautiful images. Like some others said, maybe warm up a tad.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:01 PM
pagekuepper

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leonbergers in Snow

Beautiful images. Like some others said, maybe warm up a tad.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:01 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leonbergers in Snow

Thanks again to all.

The repetitive comments about white balance do surprise me. It's not that the comments are wrong in any way, but I wouldn't expect so many photographers to want to correct colors in a cold winter, late day, scene. When conditions are very cold and late in the day, the light is most certainly not neutral as most of us experience that light. The light has a decidedly cool, non-neutral, mood. Depending on circumstances, it may take on a cyan cast as it did here. There is no question that we can correct that light in post, shooting color charts and gray cards, but in doing so, you waive the color information in the light that gives cues regarding the scene. You loose the mood of the light, as it see it, by correcting the WB to neutral. We could make it very difficult for you to guess the season (were it not for the snow) and the time of day, by correcting the WB and profile to Correct.

In these shots, the snow is certainly not neutral as it has been rendered. The dogs' coats are much less warm orange than they appear at noon on a bright day. Their faces are black as coal, not with a deep cyan gray as they appear here. No question about any of those points. But in my mind, and others will of course see it differently, I would walk away with a very different qualitative feel about this scene if those color cues were erase. As I see it, rendering those tones accurately, instead of the way I experienced the tones at the time of shooting, would not place you at the scene in the way I hope to do.

Certainly I welcome others' views on this, or any other points, related to the topic at hand. I had believed, possibly in error, that handling white balance to render colors as they were experienced, instead of how those colors would have appeared at 12 noon on a sunny day, was pretty pedestrian in our world. But I am interested in how others see this matter.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:40 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leonbergers in Snow

Nice shots John! Love 5 and 6 with the snow on the face
Gorgeous dogs indeed!

Jan 15, 2015 at 02:18 AM
Yukonica
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leonbergers in Snow

John, I agree with you on the hue of winter light. I live at roughly 60.95 degrees N. Lat. so I see a lot of it.
I also see a lot of dogs in winter images (7 Bernese Mountain Dogs in the house). And until it gets 'frosty breath' cold or just the 'light side' of dusk most viewers are more interested in the dog than the ambiance.
Overall; nice images of the dogs but I don't feel the urgency of a winter day. Which, I think, is why the others are looking for 7000k. For me the question becomes are you shooting for you or your audience?

Jan 18, 2015 at 01:56 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leonbergers in Snow

Yukonica wrote:
John, I agree with you on the hue of winter light. I live at roughly 60.95 degrees N. Lat. so I see a lot of it.
I also see a lot of dogs in winter images (7 Bernese Mountain Dogs in the house). And until it gets 'frosty breath' cold or just the 'light side' of dusk most viewers are more interested in the dog than the ambiance.
Overall; nice images of the dogs but I don't feel the urgency of a winter day. Which, I think, is why the others are looking for 7000k. For me the question becomes are
...Show more

OK, the pics look 'cool' or bluish to me but I live far below 60.95 latitude

Jan 18, 2015 at 06:44 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leonbergers in Snow

Thanks. We'd need a much, much bigger bed with 7 Bernese or Leonbergers in the house. What do you do, push two or three kingsize beds together?

John-

Jan 18, 2015 at 02:52 PM
Yukonica
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leonbergers in Snow

John Caldwell wrote:
Thanks. We'd need a much, much bigger bed with 7 Bernese or Leonbergers in the house. What do you do, push two or three kingsize beds together?

John-

John, only the dame and the queen mom are allowed on the bed at will. Others must be asked. Mostly they get too hot and don't stay long. Making your way to the bathroom in the dark is a bit challenging. Everyone tends to sit-up if you either walk around or step over.... Like a living shag carpet.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.