New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Picture This!
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I'd like to purchase a shoulder bag that can fit a Nikon D810 and zoom trinity (14-24, 24-70 and 70-200). I have a Fstop loka that I use to take more gear.

Have owned a TT retrospective 20 in the past that I liked. The TT urban disguise 35 also seems to have good review. Any other worth contenders ?

Jan 11, 2015 at 01:15 PM
rslhc
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I personally love the Lenschanger series from TT. I have the lens changer 3 and I can either carry my trinity and have an empty slot for ease of changing, or I can carry a prime. The only downside is you can't store your body in it.
This works great for me, because I as well have a larger bag I use for travel, and I use the Lenschanger 3 for events or for walking around with the camera on trips. Your mileage may vary.

I personally love the quality of TT products, and really like their urban disguise series, but I have not owned one. If you are ok with having the body out, I think the lens changer series would work well for you

Jan 12, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Interesting suggestion, but I would prefer to have the body in the bag as well.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:26 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I really like my Lowepro Pro Messenger 180. It's basically a clone of the TT Retrospective 20 but I prefer the zipper front pouch of the Lowepro. Plus, it's only $95 at BH.

I only mention it since you said you like the Retrospective 20 but it's a little large for just the zoom trinity. Lowepro makes a Pro Messenger 160 that would probably fit the bill perfectly (and it's only $80) but the fit is a bit tight with a 70-200 mounted on a FF body.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:50 PM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I'd also recommend the Think Tank Retrospective series. Finally I've found some nirvana with regard to a camera bag, it's great. Not sure of the size of Nikon + 70-200mm, the Retrospective 20 should allow you to carry the camera and lens attached.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Snapshott
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I really like my Tenba large messenger bag that I got from Hunt's Photo a little over a year ago. Good shoulder strap, lots of pockets and still looks brand new. I also take the padded insert out and use it as a messenger and/or laptop bag.

Jan 13, 2015 at 01:54 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Yes the Retrospective 20 is definitely on the top of my list. I'm also looking at the gura gear chobe, pricey but seems like a great bag

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:43 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I second the Lowepro Pro Messenger 180. Should easily handle the trinity. Heavy duty construction and the most comfortable shoulder strap that I've ever used. Strap does not slip and even after a full day of sightseeing in the Florida heat and humidity was still very comfortable. The bag also does not scream Camera bag. Front zippered pocket actually doesn't look that big but can hold a lot. Elastic side pockets can easily hold water bottles. The flap can be closed either with the velcro tabs or if need to be silent can be closed using the magnetic catches.
Have a number of backpacks and shoulder bags to carry my 4x5, MF, and 35mm gear, the Pro Messenger 180 is probably my favorite when I want to go light with a dslr, several lenses and speedlight.

Jan 15, 2015 at 09:06 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Thanks all !

I ordered the LP Messenger 180 AW. B&H had it for a great price.

Jan 15, 2015 at 03:36 PM
YneGrwr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

For anyone else interested, my D800 and Trinity lenses fit pretty good in my TT Urban Disguise 35 and my TT City Walker 20. I would suggest removing the tripod foot from the 70-200 though. It easily goes in and out that way.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:00 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

just an update - the LowePro 180 arrived today. First impressions are very positive. Think I'm going to like this bag a lot. Haven't really used it in the field but build quality seems nice and seems to be designed with practicality in mind. thanks for the recommendations.

Jan 20, 2015 at 03:32 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Update: While I liked the LP 180 Pro a lot I had the opportunity to purchase a Gura gear chobe at a nice price. I like the Chobe more and returned the 180 today. Nothing wrong with the 180. It is a great bag. Just that the Chobe is better in terms of what it can hold and the numerous pockets. Also the sailcloth material looks very nice !

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:31 PM
ccihon

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I have the retrospective 20 with a similar gear selection - 3 lenses and a big pro body, accessories. I think I have it a bit overloaded, but like it. The only thing that irks me is it won't "stand up" when I set it down, as it seems front heavy and not supported or flat on the bottom. On the shoulder, it's fine.

Feb 02, 2015 at 12:48 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

My latest favorite is the Billingham Hadley Large Pro Shoulder Bag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1033523-REG/billingham_505301_01_hadley_large_pro_shoulder.html

It's large and easily swallows my trinity with bodies attached. It will even swallow the Tamron 150-600 vertically which is most impressive, no body attached though.

The bag offers protection yet it conforms to my hip which makes it seem smaller than it is while carrying it. One problem though, it's too easy to stuff it full of stuff which can get rather heavy in a hurry.

I have smaller bags which will carry the trinity but this bag is large enough it's easy to work out of, not having to shoe horn stuff in and out. The large size is welcomed and makes the bag very functional, easy. It's high quality, weatherproof and sits upright when sat down. Worth every penny imho.

It's my current favorite, but I'm sure the "perfect" camera bag quest will bite again and I'll purchase something different again.

Edited on Feb 03, 2015 at 05:44 AM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2015 at 08:16 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Picture This! wrote:
I'd like to purchase a shoulder bag that can fit a Nikon D810 and zoom trinity (14-24, 24-70 and 70-200). I have a Fstop loka that I use to take more gear.

Have owned a TT retrospective 20 in the past that I liked. The TT urban disguise 35 also seems to have good review. Any other worth contenders ?

I have a TT retrospective 20 as well, but given what you want to carry, I think it would be a tight fit... is that the 70-200 VRII?

Feb 02, 2015 at 11:45 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Yes 70-200/2.8 vr2

Feb 03, 2015 at 02:30 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Picture This! wrote:
Yes 70-200/2.8 vr2

might work, but would be a tight fit. If you kept the 24-70 mounted on the 800, with the other lenses to the sides, it may work. You just have some large glass there.

Feb 04, 2015 at 11:21 AM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

I was just about to make a thread and saw this one.
I am looking for the same but just for a gripped body with 70-200, 24-105 and a 50 f1.2

Don't want something which looks like a camera bag. Retrospective 20 looks like a good one. Any other suggestions? How's Lowepro Nova?

Feb 05, 2015 at 02:07 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

LowePro 180 pro messenger is another great choice

Feb 05, 2015 at 02:18 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shoulder bag recommendation for trinity setup

Just to be clear, any bag holding a D810, plus the Trinity, plus any other batteries, cords or whatnot is going to be pretty heavy; maybe as much as 12-15lbs. Regardless of what you get, better check to make sure it's got a decent shoulder strap.

As much as they're revered, none of those lenses are admired for their weight.

Feb 05, 2015 at 03:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.