Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

cadman342001
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

Anyways, here are today's pics of what locals call a Christmas beetle as they are around at christmas time. There are 35 types of christmas beetle in australia, I suspect though that this isn't in fact one of them, even though ALL the locals call it one !
Confused ? so am I but I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it and actually find the scientific name of it.

I believe it to be a flower chafer of the Ischiopsopha family

As I put on my FB page, "if however you have no interest in the semantics, LOOK, PRETTY BEETLE, SHINY SHINY BEETLE !"

_DSC5975 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC5951 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC5947 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Jan 10, 2015 at 05:59 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

Great looking beetle- like the natural light ? shallow DOF captures.
Brian V.

Jan 11, 2015 at 02:28 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

Possibly Ischiopsopha lucivorax, the Alien Beetle, in the same subfamiliy as chafers..

Harold

Jan 11, 2015 at 03:28 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

Harold - thank you so much mate, I think you're correct.

Brian - not natural light no, flash with home made diffuser. All the shots are at f11 or 16, I have been thinking that something is amiss lately and that I'm not getting as much dof as I should be but I have no idea why. I'm using the D800 with a nikkor 105/2.8 micro ais and PN-11 tube to get it to 1:1. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Andy

Jan 13, 2015 at 07:00 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

cadman342001 wrote:

Brian - not natural light no, flash with home made diffuser. All the shots are at f11 or 16, I have been thinking that something is amiss lately and that I'm not getting as much dof as I should be but I have no idea why. I'm using the D800 with a nikkor 105/2.8 micro ais and PN-11 tube to get it to 1:1. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Andy

Andy,

I was getting similar DOF problems i.e. +/- zero. I also got severe over-exposure from the flash being unable to deal with the effective aperture. My legacy lens had the diaphragm stuck wide open. I am now having that repaired. That may be the first thing to check out.

Harold

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:58 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

cadman342001 wrote:

Andy

Andy have you tried using the DOF preview button when using the lens with the ext tube to make sure the lens is shutting down ?
The other thing that always confuses me is Nikon cameras show apparent aperture on their displays with communicating lenses. I'm not sure if this happens with the PK11 in the mix, but it means that at 1:1 a canon camera set at F11 is the same as a Nikon camera set at f22.

Brian V.

Jan 14, 2015 at 02:11 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Christmas Beetle or is it ?

Using an online calculator, it seems that at f11 I should get 0.7mm dof and doing atest shot it seems to be about that.

Also, as my sensor is 36.2 MP, diffraction starts earlier at f9 approx. - so I can probably get away with f11 but perhaps not f16.

Jan 14, 2015 at 07:31 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.