New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Camera Settings

ccougar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Settings

In the Camera menu of both the 1DX and 7D2 there are settings for Auto Lighting Optimizer and Highlight Tone Priority. In the 1DX, both can not be set at the same time. I have been advised by highly experience Canon photographers to both use these settings and not to use them. I am not sure if these settings are applied to RAW or just to JPEG images. Since I nearly always shoot in RAW, I am usually able to accomplish any exposure correction during post processing. I have experimented with both settings with inconclusive results. I would appreciate hearing any informed opinion on the use of these settings and why. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2015 at 02:46 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Settings

They are only for JPG. If you want the best final image, shoot RAW. You need to get the correct exposure, regardless of RAW or JPG.

Jan 10, 2015 at 03:28 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Settings

I seem to recall that turning those features on adds significant in-camera processing time following exposures. A real killer is long exposure noise reduction. Ouch!

Jan 10, 2015 at 06:00 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Settings

ccougar wrote:
In the Camera menu of both the 1DX and 7D2 there are settings for Auto Lighting Optimizer and Highlight Tone Priority. In the 1DX, both can not be set at the same time. I have been advised by highly experience Canon photographers to both use these settings and not to use them. I am not sure if these settings are applied to RAW or just to JPEG images. Since I nearly always shoot in RAW, I am usually able to accomplish any exposure correction during post processing. I have experimented with both settings with inconclusive results. I would appreciate hearing
...Show more

Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer

If shooting in RAW mode, Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied in post-processing. In advanced professional EOS Digital SLRs, it automatically adjusts the image during image processing to obtain favorable brightness and contrast, working with both JPEG and RAW images.

Canon
http://bit.ly/1qXbNKC

Jan 12, 2015 at 01:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.