New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · Poor focus on BIF.

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Poor focus on BIF.

I'm not sure if this is best in this forum or the Nature, but I suspect it is a bit about gear, so here goes.

I'm struggling to get ANY keepers of bird in flight with some new gear that I'm using. Depending on circumstances, I'm getting MAYBE 1 out of 100 shots close to being in focus. Most of them are very blurry.... not even close. I mostly shoot hawks from my car. They are plentiful and easy to find. Typically, I pull up, shoot 4-5 stills in 10-15 secs and then shoot them as they fly off.

I'm using a D750 and a D800 on a new Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS Sport.

1. Still shots are tack sharp and the keeper rate is high as long as the subject isn't really far away.

2. Shutter speed is not the issue. Shutter speeds of 1600 and above do not improve the BIF keeper rate.

3. I back button focus and I have tried every single AF-C focus mode and none of them improve the situation.

4. I have fine tuned the lens to the bodies using FoCal.

5. If I'm really close (rare) I can get a few in focus as long as the sky is in the background. I have never gotten one single shot of a hawk flying against a wooded background even close to in focus with these bodies and lens.

6. I have tried it with and without OS (VR) no noticeable difference

7. I have shot about 2000 shots in the last 2 months with this combination and it isn't getting any better.

I'm really out of ideas and things to try. Thank you in advance for any advice!

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:10 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Poor focus on BIF.

Not saying this is your problem, but I just returned a new D810 because, for the first time, that same thing was happening with that body, that was happening to you. It was even happening on still shots in a tree though. My keeper rate was suddenly around 10% it seemed...

When I received the replacement D810 body, the difference was immediate. Locked focus, super sharp and accurate...

How does it work with other lenses?

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Poor focus on BIF.

That's strange.

What AF modes are you using, beyond AF-C? How many points, dynamic AF, 3D, group, etc? AF tracking with lock on or off (Off usually works better).

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Poor focus on BIF.

I've tried them all Steve. Mostly I shoot now either AF-C S or AF-C 21 or 51 pts. I've seen zero difference in results.

AF tracking with lock on - short mostly, but I've tried it OFF too... but not much.

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Poor focus on BIF.

Last week I gave a BIF lesson to a guy with a 200-400 f4 that was having the same issues you mention.
Took me < than 5 minutes of observation to figure out his problem. He was taking his thumb off AF-On
prematurely and not following thru. Could be why your static captures remain sharp. Worth a look see.
Try AF-C 9 pt, Tracking lock to OFF. Wouldn't hurt to blow off the AF sensor slits and clean contacts ORB.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:03 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Poor focus on BIF.

Will check that for sure TM. I was hoping you'd chime in on this. I know I'm not releasing the thumb... in fact, I'm jamming that thing hard.. thumb hurts after a long session.

Follow through.. I hadn't considered that.. since I'm often shooting them in short bursts from my car window, there isn't a ton of room to do that.. However, I have done a few outside the car with no appreciable difference.. Thing is, I KNOW I'm tracking these birds.. many times I am shocked the focus is so far off after a sequence because I know the focus point was dead on the bird for most of the shots. I will concentrate on follow through though. Thank you.

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Poor focus on BIF.

Have you tried making sure it's not a technical problem with the combo you're using?

Meaning - try AF-C using an easier subject, such as a bicyclist or car coming toward you or something. That will at least give you an idea if the AF-C focusing is working up to par.

If that turns out okay, is it possible your AF point indicators in the VF are slightly off? Meaning, you think you're tracking but maybe the AF point isn't actually over the bird? (I'm unsure how far away you are with these shots and how big the bird is in the VF).

Oh, another thing - Is your car idling or turned off during these shots? Could be the car's vibrations from idling are screwing with your stability.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:19 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Poor focus on BIF.

I have tracked a car moving with no problem. My dog in the back yard running toward me? Not so hot.

My car is idling.. I've thought about that and have sometimes been able to turn it off and it doesn't seem to improve.. there usually isn't time. Also, at 1250-1600 shutter speeds and above would the vibration of the car idle cause problems?

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Poor focus on BIF.

Try applying the easiest/fastest troubleshooting method " Easter egging"
If you are able to:
Different body this lens
Different lens this body

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:26 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Poor focus on BIF.

I have tried the Nikon 300mm F4 on both bodies and the keeper rate isn't any better even in good light. Like I said... once in a blue moon, I get one or two keepers with both lenses... as long as the sky is the bg and I'm damn close.

I have also tried apertures from wide open up to F8 on both lenses. While the stills are sharper stopped down a little, the BIF don't seem to be much better. Maybe a little. Sometimes the light allows for this, often it doesn't.

Although I have tried it without OS/VR a bit, I haven't dedicated to doing it a lot. Should I shut it off and try more without it?

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Poor focus on BIF.

So, are both the D800 and D750 bodies both new gear also?

This is occurring on both the D800 and the D750?

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:46 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Poor focus on BIF.

ckcarr wrote:
So, are both the D800 and D750 bodies both new gear also?

This is occurring on both the D800 and the D750?

And with the 300 f4 on both bodies?

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Poor focus on BIF.

blutch wrote:
at 1250-1600 shutter speeds and above would the vibration of the car idle cause problems?

B

Night and day difference, you need all the help you can get.
No time to shut off ignition and shoot? Birding is a hobby/job to test your patience. I drive window down, with camera on beanbag, 99% ready to shoot.
Time of day(atmospheric condition), subject size and distance all affects your outcome.

Also, try resting the lens/body on a beanbag over the car window, with ignition OFF.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bean+bag+camera+support&biw=1266&bih=746&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3GWxVPmyDo6togSg9oHYCA&ved=0CDEQsAQ

Edited on Jan 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:53 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Poor focus on BIF.

D750 is fairly new. D800 I've had about a year. I've shot with both bodies on the 300 F4. The image quality doesn't touch that of the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 overall, so I don't shoot much with it. However, I have gotten SOME keepers with both lenses, but it is rare and there has to be LOTS of sunlight. I'd like to improve my rate if possible.

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Poor focus on BIF.

Car idle always causes a vibration. I know this, I've made the mistake way too many times.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:56 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Poor focus on BIF.

Many are saying no need for VR/OS/IS, but more bird photographers are leaving VR/OS/IS on.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Poor focus on BIF.

Steve Park wrote:
Night and day difference, you need all the help you can get.
No time to shut off ignition and shoot? Birding is a hobby/job to test your patience. I drive window down, with camera on beanbag, 99% ready to shoot.
Time of day(atmospheric condition), subject size and distance all affects your outcome.

Also, try resting the lens/body on a beanbag(anything in this link is good; https://www.google.com/search?q=bean+bag+camera+support&biw=1266&bih=746&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3GWxVPmyDo6togSg9oHYCA&ved=0CDEQsAQ) over the car window, with ignition OFF.

Steve, this is exactly what I do. I have a big bean bag that goes over the car window frame. Usually though, I have to hand hold to track them flying. I can't stay on the BB for long. Again, I get the shutter speed up there...

Distance is definitely a factor.. To fill the frame on the flying shots often requires 100% crops or close to it. I have tried shooting with TC's on both lenses and while it can be ok for still shots, it tends to make the BIF shots even worse.

Should I be trying to shoot them wide open or more stopped down? Which AF-C mode do you like for this scenario?

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Poor focus on BIF.

ckcarr wrote:
Car idle always causes a vibration. I know this, I've made the mistake way too many times.

Does it matter at 1600 SS and above?

B

Jan 10, 2015 at 01:00 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Poor focus on BIF.

Wouldn't it also make the stills blurry?

Jan 10, 2015 at 01:00 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Poor focus on BIF.

Yes, but probably less than BIF shots.

Jan 10, 2015 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.