Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

I would rent a 24-70 2.8, and a backup flash. Possibly, another body.

Jan 10, 2015 at 04:08 PM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

You have right gear to pholograph a wedding for your friends
Maybe buy a used Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4 here on FM for artistic shots

Jan 10, 2015 at 04:53 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

You can do fine with what you have, but I would go ahead and use this as an excuse to fill out your kit a touch.

Beg/Borrow/Buy a cheap backup camera
Beg/Borrow/Buy a cheap backup flash
35mm 1.4 (L or siggy) or 35mm 2.0 IS (the IS will not be that useful for the wedding)

Your 70-200 is fine, just remember to keep your shutter speeds up. If this really is a simple wedding filling in for friends, don't go too crazy and just make sure you get usable stuff.

Even if it ends up being something ridiculous like a P&S, have a backup.

Jan 10, 2015 at 05:05 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

Greg, you are good to go. I recently shot almost an entire wedding with the 35/2/IS. You will be fine. The 430EXII is also fine, maybe get triggers like $50 yongnuo's to get it off camera, or bounce off walls/ceilings. The 85 1.8 might also not be a bad option, it will give you more light and gives me easily 95% of my 85 1.2 II, but your 70-200 already makes this unnecessary especially if your lighting is good. Have fun and best of luck, you'll do fine.

Jan 10, 2015 at 05:38 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

I won't drag this out to thank each of the last four post individually but I certainly want to thank each of you. You each offer the kind of help that makes FM so valuable and enjoyable. The encouragement really makes a difference too :-)) THANK YOU

It seems like the one consensus is a fast 35mm. This makes a lot of sense in my mind as even I can appreciate the difference between my 28-70 at f4 vs a 35mm f1.4 or even the f2 Canon with IS. I am a little confused at the statement that IS would not help me much. I know it does nothing for me while shooting fast moving dogs or sports, but I would have thought the ceremony would be static enough that it might help? Maybe there is more movement than I realize...I honestly have not been to that many weddings.

I don't have a clue as to how close I can get/ or want to get to the couple during the ceremony?

Mr. Popinvasion my friend, could I expect the Canon 35 f2 focus ability to be fast and accurate on the 1Dx?

Everyone, again I thank you!
Greg

Jan 10, 2015 at 08:22 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

rxgolf wrote:
I won't drag this out to thank each of the last four post individually but I certainly want to thank each of you. You each offer the kind of help that makes FM so valuable and enjoyable. The encouragement really makes a difference too :-)) THANK YOU

It seems like the one consensus is a fast 35mm. This makes a lot of sense in my mind as even I can appreciate the difference between my 28-70 at f4 vs a 35mm f1.4 or even the f2 Canon with IS. I am a little confused at the statement that IS would not
...Show more
You can shoot at 1/f and get great shots, but in reality at a wedding **** happens. Either your hand is not steady, you tried to grab the shot too quickly, or someone moved at just the wrong time.

Keep it simple. Planning on using a higher shutter speed for the majority of your images will improve your keeper rate. I am still not terribly consistent, but shooting more at ~1/160th (even with a 35/50) has helped some. Below 1/60th you will start picking up motion blur frequently. At 1/10th (35mm with IS), I hope you are trying for something artistic.

Obviously you can use slow shutter speeds some, but if this is a new thing for you, just make sure you walk out of the event with usable shots of each phase of the event.

Jan 10, 2015 at 08:35 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

SloPhoto wrote:
You can shoot at 1/f and get great shots, but in reality at a wedding **** happens. Either your hand is not steady, you tried to grab the shot too quickly, or someone moved at just the wrong time.

Keep it simple. Planning on using a higher shutter speed for the majority of your images will improve your keeper rate. I am still not terribly consistent, but shooting more at ~1/160th (even with a 35/50) has helped some. Below 1/60th you will start picking up motion blur frequently. At 1/10th (35mm with IS), I hope you are trying for something
...Show more

If ever in Joplin,Mo. I will buy you your beverage of choice!!! If you ever need help understanding a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, or loop diuretic, or the training of a German Shepherd I will repay you :-))
I totally get this post 1000% and yes.......walk out with usable shots is my ONLY priority.
Thank you,
Greg

Jan 10, 2015 at 09:12 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

My 35IS F2 is super accurate and never misses a beat with my 5D3's and 6D so yeah it will be great with a 1DX. As for IS, I disagree with others, I've been in a church and taken shots at 1/15th a second and the IS was a benefit. I'd rather have it than not have it. A 1.4 will give you more light but not a full stop so I think the IS is a better option, you can find these used in the $450 range. I love mine.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:12 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

popinvasion wrote:

My 35IS F2

You're not bothered by the vignetting of that lens when shooting wide open? Do you correct for the vignetting, such as in post or in camera?

Jan 11, 2015 at 03:03 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

D. Diggler wrote:
You're not bothered by the vignetting of that lens when shooting wide open? Do you correct for the vignetting, such as in post or in camera?

Sometimes I'm not bothered but I always click the tab in Lightroom and it sufficiently resolves that issue for me, but the 35 1.4 art I had, had more vignetting so I guess I'm sort of expecting it.

Jan 11, 2015 at 07:59 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

popinvasion wrote:

35 1.4 art I had, had more vignetting

Oh, really? That's surprising.

Jan 11, 2015 at 08:01 AM
fstopperdown
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What would you walk into the church with in this situation? Help :-)

I had a similar one time/friends wedding recently.

You need some mid range faster glass and a second body. It will make life soooooo.... much easier

Too much happens much too fast to be switching glass between the kiss and the exit.

I should have listened to my own advice.

Rent... a 5D2 body and two lens (24-70/50mm) kit for about $200

Or... Buy... a 28mm to 50mm fast prime and borrow a second body (50D, 5D, etc...)

I would keep the 70-200 on a tripod somewhere in the back with the 1DX. Second body with a 28mm to 50mm fast prime for the isle.

Try to shoot the rehearsal, if there is one. I have shot a few rehearsals and they were some of the best images of the weekend because everyone was so loose and festive. This will give you a test run to gauge the lighting and calm the nerves.

Good luck!

Jan 11, 2015 at 08:43 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.