New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 7D mark ii update

Dutch937
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D mark ii update

So, body back from Canon...They checked the AF and "calibrated" (whatever that means).
I AFMA'd my lenses last night and had a nice "light" afternoon. Walked out of my place to the water and to my surprise found a Snowy hanging out on the rocks...Got lot's of shots with and without 1.4x iii extender using my 300mm 2.8 version 1...I'm happy with the results. All shots handheld...It was really cold, so fingers almost froze off and I wasn't quite prepared to see a Snowy. I'm now looking forward to putting it to the test with some in flight shot's and dressed better for the weather.
One of the things i also tried to do this time was increase my shutter speed substantially from previous shooting with this body. maybe that helped as well.

Jan 08, 2015 at 05:56 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D mark ii update

those look pretty darn good!

Jan 08, 2015 at 05:58 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D mark ii update

Agreed - looks like the 7D2 is ready to go to work.

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:01 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D mark ii update

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! )

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:01 PM
niani.gil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D mark ii update

Beautiful
I found a similar one in Oakville hinting the ducks.
Nig

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:10 PM
Jim Y.

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D mark ii update

Beautiful! I have the same setup and I use f8 @ 1/1600. I might have to experiment somewhat. TFS!

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:20 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D mark ii update

Jim Y. wrote:
Beautiful! I have the same setup and I use f8 @ 1/1600. I might have to experiment somewhat. TFS!

Thanks! I think if light permits, i will always try to get over 1/2500...Even at ISO 2000, the images showed very little noise. Someone on the forum pointed out the higher shutter speeds would help with the soft images on this body, so i'm willing to try anything.

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:32 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D mark ii update

niani.gil wrote:
Beautiful
I found a similar one in Oakville hinting the ducks.
Nig

Nig, thanks! First time i've seen them here (Humber Bay park).

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:33 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D mark ii update

timbop wrote:
those look pretty darn good!

---------------------------------------------

Paul Mo wrote:
Agreed - looks like the 7D2 is ready to go to work.

---------------------------------------------

Kathy White wrote:
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! )

Thank you!!

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:34 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D mark ii update

It's certainly working well now!! Glad to see that.
I've got a question for you. What is your keeper rate like? I've found that I can have a bird sitting pretty still, and I take a bunch of shots (focusing on it each time), and every one is different. maybe 1 out of 10 will be in focus, and the rest vary from almost in focus to not at all. Are you seeing this kind of variability?

Jan 08, 2015 at 11:08 PM
paylessjim

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D mark ii update

Beautiful, especially #1. I'll keep your tip in mind. Just got my 7D II today, opened the box just now, and ready to try it out first thing in the morning.

Jan 09, 2015 at 01:05 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D mark ii update

Sure looks like you got it dialed in..beautiful pics.

Jan 09, 2015 at 04:51 AM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D mark ii update

ashley138 wrote:
It's certainly working well now!! Glad to see that.
I've got a question for you. What is your keeper rate like? I've found that I can have a bird sitting pretty still, and I take a bunch of shots (focusing on it each time), and every one is different. maybe 1 out of 10 will be in focus, and the rest vary from almost in focus to not at all. Are you seeing this kind of variability?

When i was shooting the snowy yesterday, my keeper rate was insanely good...95%+. That was static, as i really didn't get many in flight opportunities. I was very impressed! I was just mentioning on another topic, i use the AF-On button for ai servo, 4 point expansion and the * button for one shot, spot af. Works perfect.

Jan 09, 2015 at 07:28 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D mark ii update

So, Dutch, do you think Canon's adjustment made things better?

Jan 09, 2015 at 10:02 AM
adamcornwell
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D mark ii update

Nice images Dutch! I'm considering upgrading from the 7D as I don't feel like I can go much above 640 ISO. Your images at 1250-2000 ISO look pretty clean. What are you and other folks finding to be the usable ISO range on the 7D mk2?

Jan 09, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D mark ii update

Methodical wrote:
So, Dutch, do you think Canon's adjustment made things better?

Honestly, i don't think Canon did anything but give me the answer i wanted/needed to hear..."they looked at it, made sure it's to spec, that's all we can do".
Going through this whole exercise has taught me how to MA a lens and both the 300 and the 100-400 needed corrections, so i chalk it up to that and recommend anyone else having issues do the same. I just find it odd that so many people have had issues (and many that haven't) and have had to go through this exercise more than any of the other most recent Canon introductions (5D mark iii, 1Dx).
Anyway, i'm done complaining, just looking forward to shooting!

Jan 09, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D mark ii update

As for ISO, i would not have any problem using 3200 and getting an image that would clean up easy enough, assuming all other factors are right on (shutter speed and aperture). 2000 right out of the camera looked very good to me, but again, i had good light, just wanted to stop it down a bit and still use a high shutter speed.
Check out some of the amazing images others have produced with this body and higher ISO's! It's obvious some photog's here have some serious skill!

Jan 09, 2015 at 03:12 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D mark ii update

The 7D Mk II craves light.

Jan 09, 2015 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.