FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

No Regrets
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum, and actually to Nikon as well. I am currently using the Df with the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art lens. I feel that it has been a wonderful combination together. I'm very impressed with the colors, contrast, sharpness all right out of the camera with very rarely feeling to the need to do any post processing....and when I do, I've just been using the onboard iPhoto application that is on my Macbook Pro Retina laptop. Very simplistic indeed, but so far haven't felt the need to get into anything more in depth from the offerings of Lightroom, etc.

I'd like to start adding to my collection of primes to go along with my Df. I want quality glass, as free from distortions as possible and to continue with vibrant colors, excellent contrast and sharpness. I've been thinking that the Zeiss 135mm f2 APO might be the next logical choice for me (it doesn't appear that Sigma will be coming out with an Art 135 anytime soon). I'm aware that the Zeiss is manual only focus and that there will be a learning curve for me, but I am willing to put in the time to overcome that obstacle in order to be able to have a lens that will have the ability to produce truly breathtaking images. I think I will also be okay with the weight of this lens as well.

My questions for all of you who own or have owned the Zeiss 135 APO.....

Do you or did you have any regrets owning this lens and if so, what were they?
Any tips that may help me with perfecting the manual focus aspect of this lens?
Any other thoughts or comments that you'd like to share with me before I pull the trigger on this lens?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and sharing your experiences with me.
Best wishes,
No Regrets

Jan 08, 2015 at 04:34 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

The Zeiss 135 is one of the sharpest lenses I have used. Colors and rendering is beautiful. No regrets I but I did end up selling mine b/c I didn't use the focal length. I do miss it and will purchase it again down the road.

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:36 PM
rodizzle33
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

No Regrets on the 135mm, I regret selling it once, I bought it again.

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:52 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

I have the Zeiss 135 and I tried it with a rental Df. I didn't like the way it balanced..too nose heavy. YMMV

Jan 08, 2015 at 06:58 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

the ZF.2 135 was one of the technically best lenses I've owned, its performs and renders absolutely beautiful, I did end up selling mine for the same reason as supermario343, I just simply didn't use the focal length very much. there have been 1 or 2 times I've wished I still had it, but 135 just isn't a length I frequently use, and I couldn't justify the cost of it when I've already got a 70-200f2.8 for the times I do need to use 135mm.

Jan 08, 2015 at 10:29 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

I have the DF and 135mm combo. Manual focus through the viewfinder is hard when you're shooting wide open. I have a magnifying eye piece and it is still hard. Rewarding when you do it right. Focusing with live view is easy.

The lens is also very expensive, especially for how often many people use it (it's not a flexible zoom, nor an every day focal length)

The output is tremendous as you would expect

Jan 08, 2015 at 10:37 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

The 135/2 APO ZF.2 is certainly a hefty piece of glass, but it is pretty much stellar right from f/2 at MFD and also at infinity. I use it on my D800 and Pany GX7. It's pretty much the perfect lens optically except it does not do the best when pointed into the sun for landscape shots - it has some odd flare.
It's heavy, big, and expensive (unless you can buy it used or refurbished), but it certainly delivers. It's one of my benchmark lenses for sharpness on my D800 (and A7R) as well as my GX7.

Jan 09, 2015 at 02:13 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to respond to my post. So it seems as though the Zeiss 135 APO is an incredible lens if ....

1) you can nail the focus (difficult via view finder wide open, easier via live view)
2) if you can make use of the focal length

Some people have sold the lens for sound, logical reasons....yet still yearn for it back.

So, thinking out loud here on what I should do....

I think I will enjoy the focal length outdoors...
I'm not afraid of the weight...
I'm apprehensive of the manual focus issue as I really enjoy hand holding my Df when shooting and using the view finder. I can see using the live view when mounted on the tripod...but I don't do that often (maybe that will have to change when I get the Zeiss)
I really love the colors, contrast, the 3D pop, the sharpness and the sheer lack of distortions that this lens offers though....

Would still love to hear thoughts and experiences from anyone else who would like to share them with me. My heart is telling me to go ahead and order it cause I just might love it. If I don't, I can always sell it I guess.

One other concern that I have is where I live here in Wisconsin, we have been experiencing extremely cold weather with wind chills 30-40 below zero. I'm afraid (with how some carriers handle their freight) that if they drop/toss this package in this extreme weather that the lens will shatter or be damaged. Should I wait for more mild temperatures as I won't be going out shooting in this kind of weather anyhow? Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but I really don't want to go thru the hassles of returns or fighting with carriers about damage in transit, etc.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Best Wishes,
No Regrets

Jan 09, 2015 at 08:35 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

If you are unsure about your skills focusing a MF lens why don't you pick up a cheap MF lens and play with it. By the time you feel better about MF maybe the weather will be warmer. The old Nikon 200mm/f4 might be a good subject for experimentation.
There's always the "hold for pickup" option from UPS and FedEx if you just can't wait.

Also, if you want a longer term alternative to the 135 ZF.2 the Nikon 105/2.5 AI or AIs is one of Nikon's finest lenses and just short of the Zeiss 100/2 in overall quality.

Jan 09, 2015 at 09:58 AM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

Good suggestion. Get a nikon 105mm 2.5 lens for less than $150 to get an idea of manual focus at longer focal lengths. It's a great lens. If you don't want it later, sell it for the same price.

Or just rent the zeiss for a long weekend.

Jan 09, 2015 at 11:01 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

sandycrane wrote:
If you are unsure about your skills focusing a MF lens why don't you pick up a cheap MF lens and play with it. By the time you feel better about MF maybe the weather will be warmer. The old Nikon 200mm/f4 might be a good subject for experimentation.
There's always the "hold for pickup" option from UPS and FedEx if you just can't wait.

Also, if you want a longer term alternative to the 135 ZF.2 the Nikon 105/2.5 AI or AIs is one of Nikon's finest lenses and just short of the Zeiss 100/2 in overall quality.

I would vigorously debate the notion that the 105/2.5 is "just short" of the 100/2 Zeiss - they are worlds apart in every aspect you can think of (size, price, sharpness, contrast, MFD, etc.). That being said the 105/2.5 is still a fine lens capable of great images.

He would be better served if he thinks he wants a 135mm is to get the 135/2 AIS - it's no Zeiss APO, but it's a heck of a lens for the price. I have both the Nikkor and Ziess 135mm and I just can't get myself to part with the Nikkor. It's not at its greatest near MFD, but a bit farther away and at infinity it's very very good and only loses contrast when used wide open. It's nearly the size/weight of the Zeiss so is a good practice lens to try out if one really thinks the Zeiss is in one's future.

Jan 09, 2015 at 12:45 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

Well, I don't feel like vigorously debating you, but I have both, and I know what I know.

Jan 09, 2015 at 02:16 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

sandycrane wrote:

And the Nikon 105 f2.5 AIS is much easier to accurately focus than the Zeiss 135 f2... that's one of the reasons I sold my Zeiss.

Jan 09, 2015 at 02:19 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

Happy with my 135 APO on a Canon system. Focusing is quite easy through the viewfinder with focus confirm or visually wide open at close distances but becomes much harder closer to infinity where live-view becomes a neccesity.

Jan 09, 2015 at 02:35 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

can0nfan2379 wrote:
Happy with my 135 APO on a Canon system. Focusing is quite easy through the viewfinder with focus confirm or visually wide open at close distances but becomes much harder closer to infinity where live-view becomes a neccesity.

Probably because Canon cameras don't have enough resolution to tell if a lens is sharp or not...

Jan 09, 2015 at 03:22 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

sandycrane wrote:
Well, I don't feel like vigorously debating you, but I have both, and I know what I know.

Fair enough as I have both too, but I would still recommend the 135/2 AIS . . .

Jan 09, 2015 at 04:26 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

I think grabbing a 135f2 AI/S (or perhaps a 105 f2.5) to practice your MF skills and judge if that focal length/MF is good for you before dropping the cash on a ZF.2 is a stellar suggestion...everyone will be different, but I didn't find the 135 zf.2 difficult to focus at all. in fact I felt it was easier than many IMO.

Jan 09, 2015 at 04:57 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

Aloicious wrote:
I think grabbing a 135f2 AI/S (or perhaps a 105 f2.5) to practice your MF skills and judge if that focal length/MF is good for you before dropping the cash on a ZF.2 is a stellar suggestion...everyone will be different, but I didn't find the 135 zf.2 difficult to focus at all. in fact I felt it was easier than many IMO.

I found the same thing because it has such high sharpness and contrast wide open compared to the 105/2.5 or even the 135/2 AIS. This is especially true on mirrorless (like the A7R). On my D800 the green focus confirm dot is much more precise with the Zeiss while with the two others it has a lot more focus ring play while the dot is illuminated.

Jan 09, 2015 at 05:00 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

I don't evaluate lenses with quite the precision John brings to the effort and am shooting with the D700 which is a much smaller and forgiving sensor, but I'm inclined to agree with Sandy that developing some comfort with turning the focusing ring might be a good first step if you're intention is to eventually invest in Zeiss lenses.

John suggests the 135 f/2 AI-s, which he owns and has significant experience with. It is a large heavy lens that will come closer to the Zeiss in that regard. But it is also a fairly expensive lens in comparison with some other MF Nikkors. Personally, I would suggest as a "practice lens" the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. or the earliest K version. They're a bit lighter that the f/2 Nikkor but can be bought for around a hundred dollars rather than five hundred. That way you can save your money for the Zeiss if/when you decide to go that way. Because you're shooting with the Df, you can even buy a pre-AI version of either of these lenses, which greatly reduces the price. In fact, a quick check found a copy of this lens for UNDER SIXTY DOLLARS...

Nikon 135 f/2.8 Q.C. pre-AI for $59.99 on E-Bay

This is a remarkably good quality lens. It is NOT a Zeiss but it performs beautifully. I did this comparison some time ago and posted it on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread where John often hangs out and Sandy stops by from time to time. You might find it an interesting place IF you mount a Nikon MF lens on your Df.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nz2OxUmyZCE/UbYk-sWz1qI/AAAAAAAAVM8/ENkw1ozm97Q/s1600/135LensCompare.jpg

Jan 09, 2015 at 06:29 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon Df and Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 Lens

I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread. Thinking back, thirty some years ago my 35mm film cameras were manual focus and I seemed to do just fine. I've taken quite a long hiatus and am now really enjoying getting back into photography. The cameras of today are a lot different from what I had so very long ago.

It makes me happy to hear a few of you here say that the Zeiss 135 works well with the green confirmation dots as that may be helpful to me as I retrain myself with the manual focussing. I have heard similar reports from a few others elsewhere as well yet some report still having issues.......Is it possible that they have a bad copy of lens, poorer eyesight or simply that we are all different people with our own individual experiences as in the old adage, ymmv

I appreciate the suggestions about trying to find an inexpensive manual lens to use first and try to gauge if my manual focus skills will come back to me and to make sure the focal length will be suitable. Very valid advice and I will take that under consideration. One thought that remains in my mind though is when I hear comments about how differently various lens are when manual focussing. If the feel of one is vastly different than the other, by practicing with a less expensive lens to gauge my feelings about MF, it may mistakenly sway me one way or the other when in fact using the Zeiss might give an entirely different perception. I will give this some more thought, but at the moment I am feeling like I should just go ahead and order the Zeiss (utilize the tip...hold for pickup), live with it for a while and give it every chance I can. If I just cannot get on with it, I can always sell it and hopefully not lose much more than what I would have spent on one of the less expensive trial options from Nikon's yesteryears.

I'm really hoping that the Zeiss will work well for me as I love the unadulterated output that it yields. I don't want to have to spend a lot of time post processing to try and fix all of the distortions inherent with many of the other contenders.

Also, thank you CGrindahl for sharing the photo comparisons of the various lenses. It was interesting to see.

Thank you again everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me.

Best wishes,
No Regrets

Jan 09, 2015 at 11:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.