New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Dry Creek Photo??

phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dry Creek Photo??

Does anyone know if DryCreekPhoto.com is currently being managed? I just got off the site and it resembles a frozen-in-time website with discussions about Photoshop CS5 being the latest version, long discussions of CRT monitors, etc. I can't find a single thing on the web site newer than 2011.

Jan 07, 2015 at 08:12 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dry Creek Photo??

my hunch is that they are just super-busy and the website isn't a top-10 to-do thing.

Jan 07, 2015 at 09:07 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dry Creek Photo??

howardm4 wrote:
my hunch is that they are just super-busy and the website isn't a top-10 to-do thing.

Geez, for 4 years? It used to be so good.

Jan 08, 2015 at 02:38 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dry Creek Photo??

apparently there is updating going on as their print test image shows.....

Test images and documentation updated: December 14, 2014.

My opinion:
There's only so much time and energy in a day and one makes a decision how to spend it; creating value for myself & company or constantly creating new 'content' for free consumption w/ no hope of having any financial return. All this stuff is a labor of love and I dont begrudge anyone for their priorities.

Jan 08, 2015 at 07:13 AM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dry Creek Photo??

That's what I didn't know, if it was a labor of love for the owners or a for-profit web site. Seems like such a waste, though, in any case. What used to be a great resource.

Jan 08, 2015 at 11:27 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dry Creek Photo??

phil hawkins wrote:
That's what I didn't know, if it was a labor of love for the owners or a for-profit web site. Seems like such a waste, though, in any case. What used to be a great resource.

I can't speak for them, but as someone who has run websites for 20 years (!), I can attest to the fact that the task of updating older material could gradually become larger than the task of creating new material, leaving aside other things like having a life or keeping a job!

It is interesting that when someone wrote a paper book (remember those? -) back in the day, the book remained as it was for years — until and if there was a revised edition. Today, we expect things to be updated continuously and almost immediately. The reality is that this isn't always going to happen. Sometimes folks created the original material as a labor of love, but didn't necessarily agree to continue that volunteer work forever. In other cases they may have created it with the hope that it would produce a business return in the form of marketing value, and that may not have panned out over the long run. Sometimes their interests changed or they became too busy doing other things.

It is curious to me that in this new era of the web we sometimes expect (demand?) that resources shared without cost should also be updated by those who provide these resources to us for free. I can share (and have experienced) your disappointment when a wonderful free resource goes out of date, but perhaps we should be grateful that it was available and avoid the appearance of ingratitude when a person is no longer willing or able to give us updated versions of the thing for free! :-)

Take care,

Dan

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:11 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dry Creek Photo??

Holy Crap. I just asked a simple question. I had no idea there was an inferred criticism included. Ingratitude? I think I effusively complimented them with praise at how good the site is/was. For instance, now that I am looking at the section on the printer/paper profiles for Costco (HOW did they get that??) these are indeed in the process of being updated. WHAT A GREAT RESOURCE!!

I am well aware of what it takes to maintain a free web site. I, too, had a free web site and had to abandon it. No criticism meant; I was just curious as to the status.

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dry Creek Photo??

phil hawkins wrote:
For instance, now that I am looking at the section on the printer/paper profiles for Costco (HOW did they get that??) these are indeed in the process of being updated. WHAT A GREAT RESOURCE!!

My understanding is that they have these profiles because Costco and other labs contract them for custom profiling of their machines. They then make those profiles available to the public.

Jan 08, 2015 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.