FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

When crossing the mountains from the centre of Corsica to the southwest coast, along the D84, we travelled down a very winding road. Suddenly, we came across this small plateau, with dozens of butterflies feeding on these thistle flowers. They were flying considerable distances between plants and usually moving on after a few seconds. My only chance was to use AF, so out came my 70-300mm.

A lot of a strangely grey to green butterfly were among the population. I just didn't fit with many years of seeing butterflies in Europe. Even after examining the images, It did not fit any illustrations in books. Finally, some text in the description of the Silver-Washed Fritillary Argynnis paphia led me to a conclusion. Apparently, up to 15% of females, in some areas are form valesina with "extensive greenish suffusion". This was the only possibility.

I have made careful comparisons with the RAW file to ensure that the colours are reasonably accurate. The OOF, gravelly background is rather ugly but it is what it is.

EM-1, Olympus ED Digital 4/3 70-300mm at f8 or f10, ISO 400, hand-held. AF used. Very harsh, bright sunlight. All images have been cropped, the last by about 70%.

Many of this species were in a very ragged state so I did not photograph them. The first image is of one with a damaged hind wing but I have no alternative image with this colour intensity.

[Edit] There was a problem with displaying the correct original fourth image, incorrect one now removed. To view it see the third reply.[Edit ends]

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Edited on Jan 09, 2015 at 01:25 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2015 at 02:00 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

Nice set of BFs Harold. They are quite striking.

Jan 07, 2015 at 08:46 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

KCollett wrote:
Nice set of BFs Harold. They are quite striking.

Thanks. A couple more butterfly topics are to come, based on that exact location.

Harold

Jan 07, 2015 at 09:59 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

When I clicked on the fourth image, to link to it, it changed to a second copy of the third one. I have now re-uploaded the correct image.

The same thing has happened again so I am uploading the correct image here

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

Edited on Jan 09, 2015 at 01:25 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Fizzog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

They really are green aren't they, much more so than the Valesina form we get here in South Warwickshire. UK.

Comparing the wing pattern and antenna colour though there seems to be a difference to both my local butterflies, and the ones shown on the UK Butterfly website (http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=paphia) however. I'm no expert (to put it mildly) so have you got another form of Silver-washed or are they a different species? Or do I need to visit my optician

Brian

Here's a shot of one of my local Valesinas.
http://www.bjkilby.co.uk/images/valesina.jpg

Jan 07, 2015 at 10:38 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

Fizzog wrote:
They really are green aren't they, much more so than the Valesina form we get here in South Warwickshire. UK.

Comparing the wing pattern and antenna colour though there seems to be a difference to both my local butterflies, and the ones shown on the UK Butterfly website (http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=paphia) however. I'm no expert (to put it mildly) so have you got another form of Silver-washed or are they a different species? Or do I need to visit my optician

Brian

Here's a shot of one of my local Valesinas.
http://www.bjkilby.co.uk/images/valesina.jpg

Brian,

I am certainly no expert either. I think I saw some of the paler ones somewhere on Cosica. It may be that the population I photographed are somewhat inbred, there being very high hill all around and the only obvious route to elswhere being along that very long road.

Hopefully, someone who knows the fauna, perhaps from Corsica or mainland France, can enlighten us. I am quite prepared to be told I have misidentified the species but it was the best match.

Harold

Jan 07, 2015 at 11:29 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

It seems to me that the markings, in some ways, are more like those of the Cardinal Pandoriana pandora but the colouration is wrong. Neither is supposed to fly in September. Maybe a hybrid?

Harold

Jan 07, 2015 at 11:43 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

A nice set of b'flys Harold. 1 stands out ~ Ron

Jan 07, 2015 at 03:37 PM
Fizzog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

I've found another butterfly (nearly) identical to yours: Argynnis pandora (Mediterranean Fritillary)
http://hexapoda.blogspot.co.uk/2007/05/borboletas-diurnas-de-gilmonde-barcelos.html
perhaps yours is a faded (sun bleached) specimen.

Good hunting,
Brian

Jan 07, 2015 at 05:32 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

Lovely shots.

Birdie

Jan 07, 2015 at 11:16 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

Fizzog wrote:
I've found another butterfly (nearly) identical to yours: Argynnis pandora (Mediterranean Fritillary)
http://hexapoda.blogspot.co.uk/2007/05/borboletas-diurnas-de-gilmonde-barcelos.html
perhaps yours is a faded (sun bleached) specimen.

Good hunting,
Brian

Thanks, Brian.

My first image seems to have more characteristics on the Cardinal, aka Mediterranean Fritillary, than of the Silver-Washed. However, the spots on the hind wing look more like the latter. It doesn't help that the former species is sometimes placed in it own genus Pandoriana and sometimes in Argynnis.

It is said that it occasionally occurs in coastal locations in the UK but there are issues of recognition. Apparently, the males can be separated on whether they have two or three scent glands on the front wings.

The faded idea doesn't work, as there were several individuals, all "faded".

Your link gives the flying period of the Cardinal as into October, much later than my book says.

I hope we get some expert input. In the meantime, the butterfly was photographed for its appearance, the name being secondary, although I like to be tidy about names.

Harold

Jan 08, 2015 at 01:35 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

Thanks, Ron and Birdie.

Harold

Jan 08, 2015 at 01:37 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

Interesting stuff Harold
Brian v.

Jan 08, 2015 at 02:10 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

LordV wrote:
Interesting stuff Harold
Brian v.

Thanks, Brian. Sometimes, perhaps a little knowledge is too much.

Harold

Jan 08, 2015 at 02:17 AM
orionmystery
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

Very nice shots, Harold. Interesting bokeh in 2, 3 and 5.

Jan 08, 2015 at 02:53 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

orionmystery wrote:
Very nice shots, Harold. Interesting bokeh in 2, 3 and 5.

Thanks, Kurt.

"Interesting". I though I my get a lot of objections to it.

I am not familiar with the lens or its bokeh. It came with my original purchase of my EP-2, several years ago. Its AF performance (4/3 on m4/3) was laughable so I put it aside until I could use the improved function on the EM-1. This was really the first time I prefered it over manual focus alterrnatives. I knew it could produce decent results, if it locked focus. I may now use it more in future, with awareness of its bokeh attributes.

Harold

Jan 08, 2015 at 03:26 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

The first is a beauty Harold

Morris

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:41 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Very Green Silver-Washed Fritillary

morris wrote:
The first is a beauty Harold

Morris

Thanks, Morris. More butterflies tomorrow.

Harold

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:50 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.