Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

If you don't want to click the link. It is an ad for a 5D MK III for $600.00. My question is what is to be gained by the person posting the ad. It is an obvious scam. Do they just want your email address?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pho/4835823331.html

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:05 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Possibly. Or they're hoping to hear from someone willing to carry $680 in cash and NOT meet in a public place. There was a scam locally last year on Kijiji where people posted gaming systems for sale. They handed out an address in a less than busy neighbourhood and waiting in their car outside the home, robbing people at knifepoint who had come to buy...

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:08 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

The simple fact is that a certain percentage of people will talk themselves into believing. Human nature is such that people want to get a bargain, and a seemingly good deal that won't last causes them to drop their guard.

Its only a very few who fall for schemes like this, but for a person in Nigeria, its a job. They sit at a computer all day posting ads all over the world, and when they get a reply, they have a canned story ready to cut and paste.

Getting $600 from some rich guy with more money than sense is considered fair game, and its probably equal to a person's annual wage, so its like winning a lottery.

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:17 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Same idea here, just a few bucks more "expensive", as it's supposedly new in box. The photo was probably lifted from a professionally done ad or something.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pho/4835018311.html

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Crooks know that tasty bait--e.g., a 5D3 for Rebel prices--will ignite basic human creed and normally smart folks will forgo logic and common sense for a chance at something for nothing. If it wasn't so there would be very few scams.

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

onegreatcity wrote:
Possibly. Or they're hoping to hear from someone willing to carry $680 in cash and NOT meet in a public place. There was a scam locally last year on Kijiji where people posted gaming systems for sale. They handed out an address in a less than busy neighbourhood and waiting in their car outside the home, robbing people at knifepoint who had come to buy...

Six months ago, I put my Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II on Craigslist, someone alerted me that someone in Canada copied and pasted my description, including typo, and the pictures of the lens from Craigslist and put in on Kijiji. I contacted the "seller" on Kijiji and said I was interested in the lens and would like to know more about it and would like to meet him in person for the transaction . He dropped the price real fast. After playing around with him with several more email exchanges, he got "mad" and said he would raise the price. I didn't feel like playing with the jerk anymore so I just ignored him.

I also posted a "WTB" here for a Sony 70-400mm G2 few weeks ago and got two very very fishy offers from folks who just joined FM with a few posts and zero feedback. They didn't respond to me anymore after I had a couple questions.

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Harold St
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

The same ad is posted in the Denver craigslist for the same price ($680)

http://denver.craigslist.org/pho/4835874581.html

Since the person isn't local to both areas they probably try to convince you to wire them cash.

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:17 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for the scam artist to try to get you to pay more since they would get more money? I mean, used 5DIIIs are going for like 2k here and you'd think they'd sell it for like 1500 and it would seem more believable and they'd get more money. I guess maybe I don't think like a thief but I don't understand why they'd set the price soooo low.

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:45 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

ashley138 wrote:
Wouldn't it be more beneficial for the scam artist to try to get you to pay more since they would get more money? I mean, used 5DIIIs are going for like 2k here and you'd think they'd sell it for like 1500 and it would seem more believable and they'd get more money. I guess maybe I don't think like a thief but I don't understand why they'd set the price soooo low.

You have made my point a bit clearer. I actually responded to one of these ads out of curiosity a while back. I never got a response. That lead me to believe they wanted my email address. I have also googled the gmail account they want you to send a response too and it comes back finding the same email address in a bunch of different CL ads around the lower 48

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:55 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Michaelparris wrote:
You have made my point a bit clearer. I actually responded to one of these ads out of curiosity a while back. I never got a response. That lead me to believe they wanted my email address. I have also googled the gmail account they want you to send a response too and it comes back finding the same email address in a bunch of different CL ads around the lower 48

Huh, weird...

It makes me nervous about buying anything used online. I do tend to trust our FM B&S board but its the only place I buy used gear.

Jan 07, 2015 at 01:04 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

ashley138 wrote:
Huh, weird...

It makes me nervous about buying anything used online. I do tend to trust our FM B&S board but its the only place I buy used gear.

You can buy used gear on Amazon. They have the A to Z customer protection thingie.

Jan 07, 2015 at 01:46 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

The same camera is for sale in NYC.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pho/4833351556.html

Jan 07, 2015 at 08:05 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Jon Joshua wrote:
The same camera is for sale in NYC.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pho/4833351556.html

So there's lots of stock? Awesome! This shifts the balance of negotiating power to the buyer when inventory is high...

Jan 07, 2015 at 10:00 AM
Fishman
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

I replied to an ad about a year ago for an iPod on my local Craigslist. It wasn't an unbelievable bargain, but was a pretty good deal for a new in box iPod. I received an email reply stating that they had just sold it, but if I went to QuiBids I could get one for the same price. Over the next several weeks I started noticing the same ad across several nearby Craigslist listings. It was basically just someone trying to drive traffic to QuiBids.

This may or may not be the same type of "scam".

Jan 07, 2015 at 11:58 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Not to derail the discussion, but I’ve always wondered about legit FMers selling 5D3s for just 10% below new pricing. I’d rather pay that extra 10% and get the new camera smell and full warranty.

Jan 07, 2015 at 02:22 PM
paylessjim

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

I actually saw the exact ad on Craigslist here in the Bay Area. Didn't bother to reply or inquire. Last year, or maybe it was a couple of years ago, there were several incidents locally where people responded to car for sale ads and got held up for their money.

They placed an ad on Craigslist for a nice car at a very low price. Meet somewhere, usually in a very nice neighborhood. When the potential buyer showed up, they'd be there with guns asking for the cash. One time it happened a few houses from my daughter's house. When the buyers arrived, a father and son, they were jumped and the dad was pistol whipped. Their money was taken and the perps drove off. Cops came, big commotion on the street, my son-in-law said he saw the blood on the sidewalk.

Jan 07, 2015 at 02:24 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

leftcoastlefty wrote:
Not to derail the discussion, but I’ve always wondered about legit FMers selling 5D3s for just 10% below new pricing. I’d rather pay that extra 10% and get the new camera smell and full warranty.

You pay extra for the rigor of their extensive testing! Also, lots of behind the scenes lowballing so you got to price a little high as a starting point.

Jan 07, 2015 at 02:42 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

leftcoastlefty wrote:

New price where you live may be a lot different than where the seller - or potential buyers - live.

Jan 07, 2015 at 04:03 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

Same ad in Tucson.

Jan 07, 2015 at 04:49 PM
richfell

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is gained by the person posting these type of ads...

I saw a similar ad on Austin's craigslist and knew it was too good to be true.

Jan 07, 2015 at 05:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.