1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2015 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

mortyb wrote:
Yes, I shot the A7 for about a year. Alongside an X-E2, Nex-6 and for the past month Ricoh GR. Of course there are many great shots in the A7 threads, some truly magnificent. But you get a feel for color, tonality etc. browsing the different image threads - and *personally* - my opinion - is that I don't think the A7 is as good in colors, tonality etc. as other cameras or that it takes more work.

One should never judge things like color, tonality, etc, from what people post, they should be judged based on objective results and their own shooting experience. After all you are looking at JPG on your monitor as interpreted by your browser.

Thus I am very surprised that you say you shot A7 for a year but that tonality is bad based on what you observed in posts of others especially because a) A7R and A7 have one of highest DXOMarks out there in that regard, b) my experience with A7R showed best tonality and color available in mirrorless. Unless of course by tonality and color you mean SOOC JPGs and you are an JPG only shooter.

Jan 12, 2015 at 03:21 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

sputnik wrote:
No I mean that from a purely technical standpoint, I'm not referring to aestethics here. Everybody likes different things as you said, but the jpg:s that came out of my A7 was really not useable. They looked blotchy even at base ISO. But again, I'm just offering my opinion. Others think differently.

I haven't shot A7 (now that I got A7II that will change), I have been shooting A7R, and I never got anything that can be described as "blotchy" from it (except when I would mount legacy lens that doesn't lend itself well to sensor design of A7 series). This is a first time I ever heard somebody describing files from A7 as "blotchy". Could you please post some of your files that illustrate that?

Jan 12, 2015 at 03:26 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

ZoranC wrote:
#1 I would be taking such statement seriously if it was coming from somebody else but you. Considering it is coming from you quite a few members of this board (and others too) know quite well what a joke it is as you are the very first person your own comment should be directed to.

#2 Once again you are avoiding an answer to direct question. Let me repeat it again: What kind of actual hands on insight on Sony vs. Fuji do you have? Or should we take your repeated avoidance of answering that as admitting that you have no
...Show more

Post #2, which you cannot understand despite hours of futile effort, was understood by enough people that 9 felt compelled to hit the like button. That's 5 more "likes" than you have earned your entire posting career here and 9 more than you have gotten in this thread, all in one post.

Jan 12, 2015 at 03:30 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

rattymouse wrote:
Post #2, which you cannot understand despite hours of futile effort, was understood by enough people that 9 felt compelled to hit the like button. That's 5 more "likes" than you have earned your entire posting career here and 9 more than you have gotten in this thread, all in one post.

Once again you are avoiding to answer simple straightforward question what kind of actual hands insight on Sony vs. Fuji do you have. Thus I will take your weaseling means you have absolutely none and you are, as usual, just flapping lips about something you have no clue about.

P.S. Which one of these systems you have no experience with, Sony, Fuji or both?

Jan 12, 2015 at 04:50 PM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

ZoranC wrote:
So let me digest what you are saying. You are saying that who cares what the actual topic is, threads should go into cacophony of offtopics? Sure, if intent of posters is not to help but just listen to their own voice.

Yes, bringing up MFT in a thread about switching to mirrorless on a camera forum is clearly a slippery slope into a cacophonous discussion of lamb preparation methods and lawn equipment.

Edited on Jan 12, 2015 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2015 at 04:55 PM
alba63
• • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

sputnik wrote:
I started with Fuji X-E1, and later got the X-E2 and X-T1. But I knew I had to try the Sony A7 at some point. I agree that the Sony is a tad bit better for using legacy glass, but to me that difference was mostly due to focal lengths making sense to me. I used the Sony Zeiss 35/2.8 and a bunch of Nikkors on the A7, but in the end I was totally frustrated with the way the camera felt in my hands and the way the controls were laid out. Contrary to many people I also found
...Show more

I only briefly had the chance to shoot the A7 - and I kind of like agree. Compared to my main camera, the X-E1, the A7 has certainly more detail and less noise at high ISO, but I din't find tonality and the look better than the Fujis.

The smaller format sometimes looks a bit harsh, in the case of the X-Trans this is particulary true due to no AA filter, but all in all I am quite happy with the Fuji. Body operation is simple, lenses are very good.

Would Sony finally come out with that 85/1,8, I might be tempted to get a A7 II with this lens, but as it seems they go for another (fast) 35mm, 28 and the 90 macro. Strange decision that doesn't make me want it badly....

Jan 12, 2015 at 05:28 PM
anadumbar

p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

I would read this very carefully before investing in Fuji.

http://diglloyd.com/index.html

Great company though.

Jan 12, 2015 at 05:28 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

itai195 wrote:
Yes, bringing up MFT in a thread about switching to mirrorless on a camera forum is clearly a slippery slope into a cacophonous discussion of lamb preparation methods and lawn equipment.

Did you bother to comprehend title of this thread before posting? It seems you are repeatedly failing to comprehend it is not "any insight on switching to mirrorless", it is "any insight on Sony vs. Fuji". Why is such a simple question so hard to comprehend for you?

Jan 12, 2015 at 05:48 PM
GeorgeHudetz

p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

anadumbar wrote:

Great company though.

His most recent post that seriously looks at X-trans image quality is over 2 years old, as near as I can tell. At this point in history that data should be considered outdated and misleading. Even Adobe users are getting good detail out of X-Trans these days.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:21 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

GeorgeHudetz wrote:
His most recent post that seriously looks at X-trans image quality is over 2 years old, as near as I can tell. At this point in history that data should be considered outdated and misleading. Even Adobe users are getting good detail out of X-Trans these days.

Adobe still exhibits the same issues with X-Trans that it has since the major Adobe X-Trans update from a couple of years ago. I don't love the output with other converters, either, but Adobe is likely the worst (and the camera jpegs.)

Jan 13, 2015 at 01:46 AM
GeorgeHudetz

p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

I use Capture One, but from the chatter over on DPReview, it seems that with the right settings you can do fairly well with Adobe.

Anyway, those Doll images were horrid, and are not representative of what X-trans can do.

Jan 13, 2015 at 01:49 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

I think it's only a matter of time until Fuji ditches the X Trans as a failed experiment. There is simply no justification for the concept anymore. At least four or five makers now sell Bayer sensor cameras without any AA filtration and suffer no ill consequences from it. The mush and lack of detail that is the tell tale sign of X Trans is far too much baggage to carry without any substantial payoff in return.

Jan 13, 2015 at 02:04 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

ZoranC wrote:
Did you bother to comprehend title of this thread before posting? It seems you are repeatedly failing to comprehend it is not "any insight on switching to mirrorless", it is "any insight on Sony vs. Fuji". Why is such a simple question so hard to comprehend for you?

I think you may want to look over your contributions to this thread and consider what you've added to the conversation. Mainly posts complaining about what other people are posting about. I acknowledge that I've cheerfully fed your trolling, which I should not have done, sot this will be the last time I'm going to respond on the topic of what's on or off topic.

Jan 13, 2015 at 02:32 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

anadumbar wrote:

Great company though.

Diglloyd caters to a particular type of photographer who is after absolute technical perfection. That's not everyone, though. I fell for it once — I spent a few unhappy months trying to manually focus Zeiss lenses and drove my family crazy.

I agree that x-trans certainly has its flaws. I'd rather Fuji abandon it in their next sensor generation, as long as they can maintain their great color.

Jan 13, 2015 at 02:37 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

itai195 wrote:
Diglloyd caters to a particular type of photographer who is after absolute technical perfection. That's not everyone, though. I fell for it once — I spent a few unhappy months trying to manually focus Zeiss lenses and drove my family crazy.

I agree that x-trans certainly has its flaws. I'd rather Fuji abandon it in their next sensor generation, as long as they can maintain their great color.

Fujifilm's reputation for color existed looooong before X Trans ever showed up and will exist loooong after X Trans has been forgotten. Color is what Fujifilm does.

Check out images from the Fuji S2 Pro SLR. Absolutely spectacular color.

Jan 13, 2015 at 02:48 AM
jeremymeier
• •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

Im never surprised at how many ridiculous arguments get started over gear when people throw DXO rankings, online examples, etc... into the mix. The reality of it is, there is no one right answer other than for the person to just try out a Fuji and a Sony and see what they like best. Fuji has a much richer heritage in the photographic world than does Sony, and therefore might have some refinements that tend to make the shooting experience better, and Sony might bring a few things to the table as well.

On the topic of FF vs APS-C, still to this day the vast majority of shooters do not print anything larger than 5x7 99% of the time, if they even print anything at all. Most images live on a hard drive somewhere or posted in a forum somewhere. Sure there are some benefits for better DOF in FF sensors, but that matters mostly to the small percentage of people that actually do production photographic work for a living. The vast majority will not miss the subtle differences between the two, and therefore it's really not an issue for the masses. If you shoot super wide to be "safe" and desire the ability to heavily crop in to get your compositions right, then you are again a small percentage of the population that would rather a FF sensor and crazy high pixel count. The majority of the people frame up and shoot close to what they intend the result to be.

I happen to shoot professionally for a living, all day every day and I use FF for work, but the stuff I'm happiest with that I shoot for creative purposes is all done on APS-C cameras. Point being the first advice given to just go to the camera store to try things out was the best advice, but he's now got over 7 pages of bickering back and forth...... not helpful to the OP.

Jan 13, 2015 at 08:53 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

jeremymeier wrote:
... over 7 pages of bickering back and forth...... not helpful to the OP...

As always, he'll have to shift through everything and pick out the bits of interest...nothing new

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:39 PM
ZoranC
• • •
[X]
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Torn between Sony and Fuji...any insight

itai195 wrote:
I think you may want to look over your contributions to this thread and consider what you've added to the conversation. Mainly posts complaining about what other people are posting about. I acknowledge that I've cheerfully fed your trolling, which I should not have done, sot this will be the last time I'm going to respond on the topic of what's on or off topic.

First you post nothing on topic and then you tell me I am the one trolling? Yeah, that makes very much sense, can't argue with that "logic".

Jan 13, 2015 at 02:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.