FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Nice shot, Walt!

I prefer the reworked version as those top items were a little distracting.

You might want to look at reducing the speculars on the watch if you want all eyes on the bible.

Did you happen to angle the pen towards the bit of writing on purpose? It does a good job (for reasons I can't explain) of getting my eyes to the pages of the bible.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jan 07, 2015 at 01:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Walt,

Now you're on to some things that are very near to my heart regarding our craft.

1) You thinking about your message
2) Your message being about causing others to think

For me, this is the pinnacle of our beloved craft ... with the objective / technical @ how to execute delivery of such a message sandwiched between the two.

The nuance could be sliced / diced a thousand diff ways depending on how you want to present. For me, giving cause to those two items provides much direction at how to proceed / present.

As to the changes ... I'm diggin' them, particularly noting the tonal value of the pocket watch to the Bible.

The symbolism here being the relationship of eternity and time relative to a snapshot in time (i.e. photograph). The glasses also provide a sense of what we see when we look and the pen/note to that which we take notice of and aspire to retain.

I could go on ... but I think that you have already brought those things into play in your mind. (okay, I will ) Even the game triggers a thought about wasting time / entertainment vs. seriousness of learning / study vs. exercising the mind, etc.

For some, the cigar may be perceived as contradictory to the theme ... but is it? and if it is, why would that be? On a related note, the Amish might even find the camera / film to be contradictory to the theme ... but is it? and if it is, why would that be?

The nuance of change @ push / pull was indeed subtle on one level ... but POWERFUL on another. I suspect this will be a piece that you will remember for a long time to come.

You may find that you still have some refinements that you want to make (no suggestions atm) ... but your rework has clearly demonstrated that you are in command & control of your message. Like a great sermon starts out as a draft rooted around a message, then becomes a good sermon before it becomes a great one ... so it is with all great messages, verbal or non-verbal. While some images are very much a "capture the moment", they aren't all created and crafted in the blink of an eye ... just ask your pastor.

Carry on ... your vision, knowledge, direction and skill are destined to deliver a Great Message.
(double entendre intended)

BTW, I'd like to place an order for one when you are finished ... I think it will complement "The Door" as another one for thought.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1257490/0?keyword=door#11970305

Jan 07, 2015 at 02:22 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

AuntiPode wrote:
Here's my suggestion. The changes ought to seem small to most folks, although from your revised version comments you may find the darkening of the top not small. The intent was to tweak the presumed message focus without changing the flavor or intent by darkening and slightly blurring the tertiary objects, darkening the secondary one a little and spotting retouching to simplify by reducing bright or dark spots that could catch attention briefly. Also, the darkening puts more emphasis on the light in the pages. Note that the watch is not darkened much to retain it's presumed subject, while the
...Show more

Thank you for the rework, but it loses the tension with the other objects, I wanted the eyes to be pulled in more than the one direction.

Regards

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 05:01 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

beavens wrote:
Nice shot, Walt!

I prefer the reworked version as those top items were a little distracting.

You might want to look at reducing the speculars on the watch if you want all eyes on the bible.

Did you happen to angle the pen towards the bit of writing on purpose? It does a good job (for reasons I can't explain) of getting my eyes to the pages of the bible.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, I am left handed so it was a natural place for me to lay the pen, I tried a different placement of the pen and it didn't work as well.

Regards

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 05:04 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

RustyBug wrote:
Walt,

Now you're on to some things that are very near to my heart regarding our craft.

1) You thinking about your message
2) Your message being about causing others to think

For me, this is the pinnacle of our beloved craft ... with the objective / technical @ how to execute delivery of such a message sandwiched between the two.

The nuance could be sliced / diced a thousand diff ways depending on how you want to present. For me, giving cause to those two items provides much direction at how to proceed / present.

As to the changes ... I'm diggin' them, particularly noting
...Show more

Thank you for the long reply you put in words better than I can what I was attempting to get across in the image.

Please PM me so I can send you the link to download the TIFF file

Both my wife and I liked the Faith image, made me think.

Regards

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 05:15 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Pretty nice work, I would consider some steaming tea in the cup.
Douglas

Jan 08, 2015 at 10:04 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Walt... I like the rework... very nice!
Could find a few more nits (highlights on the watch, sharpening on the drawers...) but I think your message/tension is well presented here.

Jan 08, 2015 at 10:15 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

douter wrote:
Pretty nice work, I would consider some steaming tea in the cup.
Douglas

Thank you Douglas, You are right it would have made it better, along with the cigar lit and more ashes in the ashtray. Who knows It may bug me enough to reshoot?

Thanks

Walt

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:35 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

FarmerJohn wrote:
Walt... I like the rework... very nice!
Could find a few more nits (highlights on the watch, sharpening on the drawers...) but I think your message/tension is well presented here.

Thank you, I have a long ways to go in processing to feel comfortable, but I keep plugging away at it.

I am glad the tension shows through.

Regards

Walt

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:37 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

After sitting with the image for a while, I wanted to try and fix a few of the nits that were bugging me. These reworks are due directly to everybody's input.

Thanks for commenting.

Walt

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/immolder/TimeforReflection1_zps02f09dcb.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/immolder/Timeforreflection_zps9c7e0cdc.jpg

Jan 12, 2015 at 05:50 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Hi Walt,
Nice reworks...

The bright light... mixed feelings....
First, I love those types of lamps, and I love the way it's illuminating the scene.
Second, photographically, I wonder if it's too big and bright and draws the eye away too much from the bible and the rest of the scene.
Though third, my Quaker upbringing sees a reference to "the light of God in everyone" so I like that part.

Maybe you could position it slightly out of frame so it's cropped so we just see a corner of the light and the shape and the filament? Wonder how that would affect the intensity of the light on the wooden peg game and other things? Maybe a little bit softer light and shadows if it's further away?

Jan 14, 2015 at 02:02 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

FarmerJohn wrote:
Hi Walt,
Nice reworks...

The bright light... mixed feelings....
First, I love those types of lamps, and I love the way it's illuminating the scene.
Second, photographically, I wonder if it's too big and bright and draws the eye away too much from the bible and the rest of the scene.
Though third, my Quaker upbringing sees a reference to "the light of God in everyone" so I like that part.

Maybe you could position it slightly out of frame so it's cropped so we just see a corner of the light and the shape and the filament? Wonder how that would affect
...Show more

Thank you

The bright light has me feeling it is bright, but I am glad you caught the symbolism involved. I may set up and reshoot with some fill light so I am not so reliant on the light of the light to tone down the light on the game. The more I play with it the more I can see to be improved on.

Regards

Walt

Jan 15, 2015 at 02:49 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Okay... one more.... this is really nitpicky... and maybe I'm reading too much into your original placement

It's not immediately obvious to me that it's a bible. Looks like just a big book.
The original had the glasses placed so that the "John the Baptist" text was magnified just enough to drive the point home. The glasses are placed a little differently in this one, so I don't see the magnified "John the Baptist"

Jan 16, 2015 at 09:07 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

FarmerJohn wrote:
Okay... one more.... this is really nitpicky... and maybe I'm reading too much into your original placement

It's not immediately obvious to me that it's a bible. Looks like just a big book.
The original had the glasses placed so that the "John the Baptist" text was magnified just enough to drive the point home. The glasses are placed a little differently in this one, so I don't see the magnified "John the Baptist"

I had to go back and look, your right. Will have to see if it bugs me enough to reshoot

Regards

Walt

Jan 17, 2015 at 08:34 AM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.