New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

I think this image is finished? But I would like a fresh set of eyes to go over anything that is wrong, I plan on printing it as a 16x24 print for the Bible College I attended.

Thanks for taking the time to review the image.

Walt

Edited on Jan 12, 2015 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2015 at 05:59 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

A little crunchy and high in contrast for my taste, but if that's what you're going for, you got it.

Jan 06, 2015 at 06:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Overall, I like the image.

The closest plank (under the Bible) of the desk seems to be the most offending at the "crunchy" that detracts a bit from the other elements for me.

Maybe a slight pull back (either selective or global) or different sharpening. It might also depend on what paper you are planning on printing on. Maybe Scott or others could comment about that better than I.

Jan 06, 2015 at 08:05 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

AuntiPode wrote:
A little crunchy and high in contrast for my taste, but if that's what you're going for, you got it.

Thank you for responding, I do like higher contrast

Walt

Jan 06, 2015 at 08:13 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

RustyBug wrote:
Overall, I like the image.

The closest plank (under the Bible) of the desk seems to be the most offending at the "crunchy" that detracts a bit from the other elements for me.

Maybe a slight pull back (either selective or global) or different sharpening. It might also depend on what paper you are planning on printing on. Maybe Scott or others could comment about that better than I.

The closest plank under the Bible is actually a piece of worn leather, and I was trying to accentuate it a little I am planning on having it printed on luster paper if that helps.

Thanks for responding

Walt

Jan 06, 2015 at 08:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Gotcha, I see it now ... note also the texture of the bookmark.

Jan 06, 2015 at 09:33 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Overall I like it too.
Sharpness... interesting that the wood on the drawer doors is not as sharpened as the rest of the wood. Seems a little odd.

I find the bright items (film canister, etc) at the top of the image draw my eye away from the presumably main subject of book/glasses. Whether that's good or bad is up to you...

Jan 06, 2015 at 10:49 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

To my eyes, the potentially weakest aspect is the worldly parts compete for the interest of the eye at the expense of The Book. My suspicion is that was not the intent. In particular, the film box, watch and cup are bright and busy enough to especially catch the eye.

I could illustrate.

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:45 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Beautifully toned and captured
I like the contrast and lighting
Hard to find anything to truly critique other than nits
Compositional nit: maybe objects behind Bible are too symmetrically vs more spontaneously arranged?
Should lokk good on any paper
You might sldo condider a matte paper

Nice work!

Scott

Jan 07, 2015 at 07:03 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha, I see it now ... note also the texture of the bookmark.

ok now I see some, I will try lowering it.

Thanks Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 09:43 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

FarmerJohn wrote:
Overall I like it too.
Sharpness... interesting that the wood on the drawer doors is not as sharpened as the rest of the wood. Seems a little odd.

I find the bright items (film canister, etc) at the top of the image draw my eye away from the presumably main subject of book/glasses. Whether that's good or bad is up to you...

I am not sure why the drawers aren't as sharpened. I used global adj.

I am trying to create some tension between the Bible and the objects around them.

Thank you for responding
Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 09:47 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

AuntiPode wrote:
To my eyes, the potentially weakest aspect is the worldly parts compete for the interest of the eye at the expense of The Book. My suspicion is that was not the intent. In particular, the film box, watch and cup are bright and busy enough to especially catch the eye.

I could illustrate.

Please do, it would help me to see if I have achieved a tension between the Bible and the wordly parts. I wanted there to be a pull of your eyes between meditating on Gods Word and the pull of distractions such as the camera and film canister and camera representing our memories, or the watch being the pull of time etc...

If the tension is there then the photo accomplished what I set out to do.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 09:53 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

sbeme wrote:
Beautifully toned and captured
I like the contrast and lighting
Hard to find anything to truly critique other than nits
Compositional nit: maybe objects behind Bible are too symmetrically vs more spontaneously arranged?
Should lokk good on any paper
You might sldo condider a matte paper

Nice work!

Scott

Thank you for the kind words, I was sort of struggling to fit in everything in a spontaneously placed manner. Not to much space in the desk to work with.

regards

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 09:58 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

If you are going for tension... I think you accomplished that pretty well. You could maybe tone-down the worldly parts a smidge, but not much.

My eye rests on the camera and film canister more than it does the bible. But then again... I'm not very religious

Jan 07, 2015 at 10:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

FarmerJohn wrote:
My eye rests on the camera and film canister more than it does the bible.

I think you've raised a good point.

I too am drawn more strongly upward. The tonal contrast of the Tri-X l pulls well. The number of smaller items provides a mass (compared to the mass of a larger single item) that can be less/equal/greater to the single item. The combination of good contrast and mass seems to tip the balance upward just a tad.

The tonal value of the leather under the Bible has a "lightness" to it that reduces the contrast between it and the Bible. I might look to reduce the tonal value of the leather, to increase the contrast to the Bible to try and shift the balance downward a bit. That is of course assuming one wants to change such a weighting toward the Bible.

Correspondingly an approach to reduce the contrast of the smaller items could have a similar effect @ push/pull, but I mostly like them as is and find the leather to be the area I'd look to change if I wanted to pull the viewer down a bit.

Some vignetting or gradient / falloff might be another possibility to employ if the OP wants to re-balance things a touch.

Imo, this is an example of how funny it seems that the nicer an image is ... the more the nuance matters. Kinda like the old adage @ the reward for good work is more good work.

Edited on Jan 07, 2015 at 11:25 AM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2015 at 11:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

I am not a fundamentalist but I know a bunch and most of them would be aghast at the cigar, and some even the coffee cup. Seems odd to have these objects in a religious scene.

Otherwise I am good with the image as is, including those items.

Jan 07, 2015 at 11:23 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

FarmerJohn wrote:
If you are going for tension... I think you accomplished that pretty well. You could maybe tone-down the worldly parts a smidge, but not much.

My eye rests on the camera and film canister more than it does the bible. But then again... I'm not very religious

Seems to be a little bit more of a balancing act than I thought, I am doing a slight rework to bring the attention a bit more on the Bible.

Thanks

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:52 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

RustyBug wrote:
I think you've raised a good point.

I too am drawn more strongly upward. The tonal contrast of the Tri-X l pulls well. The number of smaller items provides a mass (compared to the mass of a larger single item) that can be less/equal/greater to the single item. The combination of good contrast and mass seems to tip the balance upward just a tad.

The tonal value of the leather under the Bible has a "lightness" to it that reduces the contrast between it and the Bible. I might look to reduce the tonal value of the leather, to increase the contrast
...Show more

I have taken some of the suggestions from you and FarmerJohn, the rework posted I toned down the leather a little and used a gradient filter to bring down the top portion of the image a little. I am trying to have the Bible weighted a little heavier, but just slightly.

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions they cause me to think

Regards

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:57 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

ben egbert wrote:
I am not a fundamentalist but I know a bunch and most of them would be aghast at the cigar, and some even the coffee cup. Seems odd to have these objects in a religious scene.

Otherwise I am good with the image as is, including those items.

Not all branches of Christianity are so conservative, you would be hard pressed to find a church in North Carolinas tobacco region that wasn't financed by tobacco. Plus it is a vice that does draw some people to think, which is also good. People can and do bring their personal emotion when viewing the image, and I am sure some will be put off by the cigar. Then I feel the image has succeeded in getting a person to delve into their belief

Regards

Walt

Jan 07, 2015 at 01:18 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A Time for Reflection, Reshoot

Here's my suggestion. The changes ought to seem small to most folks, although from your revised version comments you may find the darkening of the top not small. The intent was to tweak the presumed message focus without changing the flavor or intent by darkening and slightly blurring the tertiary objects, darkening the secondary one a little and spotting retouching to simplify by reducing bright or dark spots that could catch attention briefly. Also, the darkening puts more emphasis on the light in the pages. Note that the watch is not darkened much to retain it's presumed subject, while the cigar, ashtray and tea cup and saucer were darkened more on the assumption contribute lesser meaning. Also the brightness of the pages and watch combine with the darkened parts to tighten the effective composition and limit and guide the eye in a smaller, roughly triangular primary scan path. A secondary path takes the eye to the right. A tertiary path belatedly scans the remaining elements, reflecting the subordination of the elements. One important question to ask yourself when composing and again when finishing an image is how does the eye scan the image? Does the scan path add to the message or detract from it?

Edited on Jan 07, 2015 at 02:27 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2015 at 01:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.