Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Talk to me: Video lights

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Talk to me: Video lights

I'm looking at adding a video light to my bag in 2015. I haven't done much research, but one that was highly rated on B&H was this 312 bulb light is going for $200 here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/875411-REG/Vidpro_led_312_Varicolor_312_LED_Video_and.html

This light is identical to cheaper products from Polaroid et al, at least the housing is identical. I've seen these from other brands as low as $140 (Canadian)

Example: http://www.amazon.ca/Polaroid-Camcorder-Variable-3200K-5600K-Brightness/dp/B007CM4ULY

Anyone have experience with this light? If it's just a case of rebranding, I'll go with the cheaper option.

Jan 06, 2015 at 01:00 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Talk to me: Video lights

When this subject has come up in the past, 3 opinions have emerged:

1)
Video lights are great if you can place them close to the subject.

2)
A gridded softbox can achieve some of the intended effect (light the subject, but not the distracting stuff in the background).

3)
The lower-priced ones can give a somewhat greenish cast on the subject. Whether or not this is "green enough" for brides to care about is subject to interpretation.

Jan 06, 2015 at 01:22 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Talk to me: Video lights

Mainly just using it for details and run-and-gun stuff.

In changing lighting, like at dusk, I think it might be easier to work with that hauling out the strobe, modifier and stand, then messing with triggers and settings. I tend to avoid off camera flash in time sensitive situations because of that.

I also have a couple of requests for night shots during the ceremony this year. I imagine a video light would be much easier than "doing it right" so to speak.

Jan 06, 2015 at 02:48 PM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Talk to me: Video lights

I am in the same situation. I have second shot with a photographer who busts out the video light outside in the pitch black during the reception.
His is tungsten tinted (or at least it seems to me)

I was pondering a LED Yongnuo video light. Cheap toy to bring out occasionally.

Jan 06, 2015 at 03:02 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Talk to me: Video lights

Exactly. Initially I was interested in the ice light, but at $600 Canadian, it's really tough to justify when I'd be using it so infrequently.

Jan 06, 2015 at 03:16 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Talk to me: Video lights

this is something I would like to also add to my bag of tricks, great for fast bride and groom photos, I have yet to buy a nice one, I think I would probably still put it on a stand so that my hands are free to shoot, the best scenario is if you have an assistant that can move with you and knows where and how to hold your light. I saw one photography team that did 100% of their lighting this way one evening.

Jan 06, 2015 at 03:56 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Talk to me: Video lights

ZachOly wrote:
Mainly just using it for details and run-and-gun stuff.

In changing lighting, like at dusk, I think it might be easier to work with that hauling out the strobe, modifier and stand, then messing with triggers and settings. I tend to avoid off camera flash in time sensitive situations because of that.

I also have a couple of requests for night shots during the ceremony this year. I imagine a video light would be much easier than "doing it right" so to speak.

This is also why I would want one, sorting out OCF is a total pain for that sort of thing. I usually end up having to do it in advance and then get the couple.

Jan 06, 2015 at 04:22 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Talk to me: Video lights

I bit the bullet and bought the GL-1. Expensive....but worth it's weight when I use it.

Jan 06, 2015 at 04:42 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Talk to me: Video lights

rondphoto wrote:
I bit the bullet and bought the GL-1. Expensive....but worth it's weight when I use it.

Way too expensive for me, and the reviews on B&H aren't encouraging regarding build quality.

Jan 06, 2015 at 06:33 PM
Syracuse

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Talk to me: Video lights

Recently purchased the icelight and have used it even more than I thought we would. Love it!

Jan 06, 2015 at 09:32 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Talk to me: Video lights

+1 for the GL-1 -- i tried cheaper LED but really did not like the color. But I never looked for anything in between. GL-1 is definitely on the expensive side... I haven't used it a lot but one of my recent weddings took place pretty much all at night so I used it quite a bit for portraits:

http://duyhophotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wente-vineyards-wedding-photo-012.jpg
http://duyhophotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wente-vineyards-wedding-photo-025.jpg
http://duyhophotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wente-vineyards-wedding-photo-036.jpg
http://duyhophotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/wente-vineyards-wedding-photo-037.jpg

Jan 06, 2015 at 09:37 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Talk to me: Video lights

ZachOly wrote:
Way too expensive for me, and the reviews on B&H aren't encouraging regarding build quality.

True....but be prepared to have to buy a second Ice Light if you go that route.

Jan 06, 2015 at 09:55 PM
cbres00
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Talk to me: Video lights

Just bought this last week and I love it. You can change the temperature a bit and it's got a remote control for the dimmer. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN4981W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:00 AM
BKoller

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Talk to me: Video lights

We picked up a Torch LED a month or so ago, and it's pretty cool. It was cheap, it's pretty small, and great when we need to be fast. It also has a dial to control the color temp which is nice.

Jan 07, 2015 at 01:08 AM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Talk to me: Video lights

cbres00 wrote:
Just bought this last week and I love it. You can change the temperature a bit and it's got a remote control for the dimmer. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN4981W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the same one I was looking at!
What's the battery life like?

Jan 07, 2015 at 08:45 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Talk to me: Video lights

BKoller wrote:
We picked up a Torch LED a month or so ago, and it's pretty cool. It was cheap, it's pretty small, and great when we need to be fast. It also has a dial to control the color temp which is nice.

curious what kind of light this is

Jan 07, 2015 at 09:26 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Talk to me: Video lights

If you're looking at the Yongnuo models I have a couple of reviews:

-- 600 LED Models --
Yongnuo YN600 Pro LED Video Light (5500K Only) Review

Yongnuo YN600 Pro LED Video Light (3200K-5500K) Review

-- 300 LED models --
Yongnuo YN300 Pro LED Video Light (5500K) Review

Yongnuo YN300 Pro LED Video Light (3200K-5500K) Review

You may be interested in the power output on batteries, particularly the YN600 models that have major stability issues when running on batteries.

U100695 wrote:
That's the same one I was looking at!
What's the battery life like?

That depends on what batteries you use Typical NP-F970 gets 2-3 hours on full power (YN300).

Edited on Jan 07, 2015 at 12:32 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2015 at 10:02 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Talk to me: Video lights

Regarding the colour cast, a lot of these video lights have coloured covers that help to balance the light. Does this aid in removing any colour cast issues?

Jan 07, 2015 at 10:25 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Talk to me: Video lights

The key thing to look at with video LED lights is if they flicker or not. I have a lot of friends that do mostly video, so it doesn't matter, but a few of them shoot film/digital stills as well. And the flicker of the cheap lights totally kills it.

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:00 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Talk to me: Video lights

GL1 user here. Its expensive, so expect some buyers remorse. It's build isn't the greatest, so expect to use some gaf tape. However, its fast and the produces a decent light source. We use it for lighting details at a reception, after-dark portraits or dance floor photos. Unfortunately there isn't anything like it on the market, that I could find.

Jan 07, 2015 at 12:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.