New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Squinty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Hello folks. I'm new here. Been looking into a Nikon D800-variant, or a Sony A7R, to replace my 5DIII - having given up wedding photography to concentrate on interiors and architecture.

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in dynamic range at base ISO between the D800 and the D810?

I'm interested in shadow and highlight, recovery and fill. Do the Nikon's both use the same chip? Other than the removal of the OLPF, is there any difference in the implementation of the chip?

No need to go through merits of either camera, or that of the A7R (I know that the latter allows me to continue to use a Canon TS-E)... it's just the DR question that I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to.

Thank you!

Edited on Jan 06, 2015 at 05:48 AM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2015 at 05:13 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

You couldn't find a conclusive answer because the differences are so minimal that no was able to capture that difference in a test If you're looking for lab values, DxO shows a difference of .4 in favor of the D810.

Jan 06, 2015 at 05:29 AM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

hijazist wrote:
You couldn't find a conclusive answer because the differences are so minimal that no was able to capture that difference in a test If you're looking for lab values, DxO shows a difference of .4 in favor of the D810.

That's fine. Real world differences are preferred to lab test values - and I don't think DxO give the full picture anyway. But if 0.4 refers to improved dynamic range, then it's about 3% better - I guess you might just about see that. Whether my clients will - and whether or not it's worth an extra £500.00 - I doubt it.

Jan 06, 2015 at 05:52 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Squinty wrote:
That's fine. Real world differences are preferred to lab test values - and I don't think DxO give the full picture anyway. But if 0.4 refers to improved dynamic range, then it's about 3% better - I guess you might just about see that. Whether my clients will - and whether or not it's worth an extra £500.00 - I doubt it.

Well deciding whether the price difference is worth it or not has more to do with other features like the quiet shutter and improved FPS, in addition to other features. I don't think the difference in DR is a deciding factor. But that's just me.

Jan 06, 2015 at 06:37 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

If the difference is that small I'd rather have the DR at ISO100 and not 64.

Jan 06, 2015 at 08:02 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

My only knock on the D800 was the shutter vibration caused sharpness issues handheld at slower shutter speeds. I just recently sold mine in favor of the D750. The articulating screen is a life saver for low and high shots. My partner upgraded to the 810 and really likes it. Nikon fixed the shutter and made a few other tweaks.

I shoot architecture and was happy with the D800's DR for the 2 1/2 years that I owned it, but Nikon is known for its DR. You should be happy with either.

Squinty wrote:

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Mark_L wrote:
If the difference is that small I'd rather have the DR at ISO100 and not 64.

Having 64 as native with even more DR is, IMHO, better.

You have the same SNR as the D800 at 100iso, but with the more ability to recover shadows.

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:46 AM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

james.d53 wrote:
I shoot architecture and was happy with the D800's DR for the 2 1/2 years that I owned it, but Nikon is known for its DR. You should be happy with either.

The D750 is my other option - didn't want to over-complicate the thread. Since crawling around doing architecture and interiors, the tilting screen is something I no longer think of as a gimmick.

You presumably find the D750 as good in the DR department as the D800? I'm not chasing mega-pixels, just more flexibility with lighting and time spent in processing.

My BIG (only) concern with Nikon is the PC-E lenses - I have a TS-E II 24mm and I'm worried about giving that up for the equivalent Nikkor. With a Sony body I can keep the TS-E II... losing the superior functionality of a DSLR isn't an issue for me.

Anyway, I'm thinking aloud.... thanks for all the replies folks.

Jan 06, 2015 at 01:59 PM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

I'm also curious like Squint about D810 vs. D800/D800e: Does D810 @ low ISOs (64 - 800) show any more noise in images than D800/D800e? Talking 100% crops, which is a benefit of having a high MP monster ; while such noise won't show up in prints, it will in crops.

D750 lacks Electronic First Curtain and there's the 1/4000th shutter limit ; EFCS being important for some times of macro.

- slrl0ver

Jan 06, 2015 at 02:18 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Squinty wrote

The D750 is my other option - didn't want to over-complicate the thread. Since crawling around doing architecture and interiors, the tilting screen is something I no longer think of as a gimmick.

You presumably find the D750 as good in the DR department as the D800? I'm not chasing mega-pixels, just more flexibility with lighting and time spent in processing.

My BIG (only) concern with Nikon is the PC-E lenses - I have a TS-E II 24mm and I'm worried about giving that up for the equivalent Nikkor. With a Sony body I can keep the TS-E II... losing the superior
...Show more

I sort of moved from Canon (still have 5D2 and 5D3) to Nikon D800 and D810. I don't see much or any real world difference in the DR and noise characteristics of the Nikons, whether at ISO64 or 100. If you use liveview a bunch, the D810 (and I assume the 750) is far superior to the D800 (but still not as good as Canon's liveview). I still own the 5D2 and 5D3 to use primarily with the Canon 17 and 24 mk II TSEs since Nikon doesn't have an answer for either of them in my experience. That said, I plan on buying a Sony A9 if/when it comes out so I can use my 17 and 24 TSE on a great sensor, at which time I'll likely dump my Canon stuff if they haven't improved the DR, etc. on their cams.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

Jan 06, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

That said, I plan on buying a Sony A9 if/when it comes out so I can use my 17 and 24 TSE on a great sensor, at which time I'll likely dump my Canon stuff if they haven't improved the DR, etc. on their cams.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

Thanks akclimber. That's my 'other, other' option!

Once I've made my mind up about something (Canon's dreadful DR) I sort of want to get on with doing something about it.

Maybe Canon's rumoured high mpx camera is coming, but it'll be almost twice the price of a used D810 or a new A7II/R - unlikely to be worth it for me.

So, like you. I think I'll probably go down the Sony route (to keep my TS-E) and if I by one now, that can be my backup once an updated A7R comes along, or when the high mpx Canon hits the used market.

Jan 07, 2015 at 04:47 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Squinty wrote:
Thanks akclimber. That's my 'other, other' option!

Once I've made my mind up about something (Canon's dreadful DR) I sort of want to get on with doing something about it.

Maybe Canon's rumoured high mpx camera is coming, but it'll be almost twice the price of a used D810 or a new A7II/R - unlikely to be worth it for me.

So, like you. I think I'll probably go down the Sony route (to keep my TS-E) and if I by one now, that can be my backup once an updated A7R comes along, or when the high mpx Canon hits
...Show more

Yeah, for architecture especially, a Sony full frame mirrorless plus the Canon TSEs seem to be the answer. I bought a Sony A6000 a while back to see if I could live with the mirrorless way of things and I love the little thing. I'm looking forward to Sony's next full frame mirrorless announcement.

Cheers!

Jan 07, 2015 at 10:38 AM
handcoater
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

I think a lot depends on how and what you shoot and the way you process. I switched from the 800e to the 810, mostly for the electronic first curtain. I have found that I can push the shadows farther and darken highlights (skies) more with noticeably less noise. I almost always shoot at ISO 64. For reference, here are the kind of images I shoot:

http://www.pbase.com/butchwelch/butch_welch

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Like i said: since 64 is native--that's the best ISO for the lowest amount of noise, plus then you have the benefit of increased DR for recovery.

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Bookmarked your site, inspiring pictures!

handcoater wrote:
I think a lot depends on how and what you shoot and the way you process. I switched from the 800e to the 810, mostly for the electronic first curtain. I have found that I can push the shadows farther and darken highlights (skies) more with noticeably less noise. I almost always shoot at ISO 64. For reference, here are the kind of images I shoot:

Jan 08, 2015 at 12:59 PM
handcoater
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

Frode - thank you so much for your kind words!

Jan 09, 2015 at 01:07 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

handcoater wrote:

Those are really impressive photos. I like how the "next" button doesn't move all over the place so that I have to chase it like on other sites.

Jan 10, 2015 at 07:48 AM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

handcoater,
Beautiful images.

Jan 10, 2015 at 01:52 PM
handcoater
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon D800 vs D810 Dynamic Range at Base ISO

DaveOls and jbonzo1 - thank you for your kind comments!

Jan 11, 2015 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.