New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

So, I finally got my hands on the CV 12/5.6 about 2 weeks ago and I used it quite a bit during the 2 week trip in Finland which I just came back from yesterday.

I notice a moderate magenta color shift in some of the photos, especially those taken at night with long exposures. This gets even more aggravated when I enable the LR lens profile for this lens.

I just downloaded CornerFix and will give it a try later today but I was wondering if there is any lens profile that I need to download first for use with CornerFix? Also, can I launch CornerFix directly from LR?

Thanks!

Jan 05, 2015 at 05:45 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

No one?

Jan 07, 2015 at 04:12 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I have never tried this lens but do know that it produces color cast and slight corner smearing in some instances. Much less so than the CV15 but it is still there. Cornerfix requires the use of a lens profile in order to make the required adjutments. Most people create their own (very easy, just google it) or you may be able to find one on the internet to download. I say just do it yourself which will give you the peace of mind knowing it was done properly at the aperature(s) needed. AFAIK - there is no LR plugin for Cornerfix. If you want to sync with LR, you could always use the Adobe Flat Field Plugin which apparently works well.

Jan 07, 2015 at 04:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I just found a decent deal on a used CV 12/5.6 lens and bought it to be used on my A7R. The lens is excellent in this combination - but I highly recommend to use the Sony "Lens Compensation" app with this lens to correct upfront in RAW for color casts and vignetting in the corners plus some chromatic aberration. With this file and a little bit of quick post processing in PS, the files come out excellent. I found that my lens copy is really sharp corner to corner already at f/8.

Edited on Apr 05, 2015 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:46 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I did not know about that app! Going to try it out tomorrow.

I am only seeing color casts on my a7s with super long exposures during the night. During day time I have no problems at all.

I have the LTM version although I am not sure if that makes any difference.

Feb 17, 2015 at 03:29 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

nampramos wrote:
I did not know about that app! Going to try it out tomorrow.

I am only seeing color casts on my a7s with super long exposures during the night. During day time I have no problems at all.

I have the LTM version although I am not sure if that makes any difference.

That might very well be the case that you are better off regarding less color casts with the A7S sensor. I hijacked a bit this thread since it is more related to the A7S performance with the CV 12/5.6 in the first place, but I didn't find any other related thread describing A7 series performance with this lens. I also thought you might find the app information useful - it was mentioned in a few other discussions here and on the Sony board, and I just recently decided to go for it - it turns out that it has become my most used app on my A7R so far.

Feb 17, 2015 at 06:34 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I tried cornerfix and the sony app on 15mm voigtlander/a7r and could never get the color effects to be acceptable to myself. I think the problem is that the 15mm was not just color vignetting but also some strange stuff going on in he middle which was not symetrical up /down. The strange thing is that it should work. Subtracting colors off a neutral grey image should work. And the Sony app was too simple for asymetrical color distortion.

I have heard people say that lightroom does a good job. But I don't use LR, so I don't know.

I expect that the better in the day observation might be a better at focussed close -than day? Typically focussing close does not cause as much color shift as focussing near infinitity.Note that the picture posted above by retrofcus is close focussed and still has some wavey color shifting/vignetting going on to my eyes.

But the 12mm on the a7s might be more tolerant. Big pixel wells might accept more varying wavelengths.

Good luck but I expect that if you are fussy, you will need to buy the samyang 14/2.8 and put up with the bigger size.

Feb 17, 2015 at 06:38 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

Scott Stoness wrote:
I tried cornerfix and the sony app on 15mm voigtlander/a7r and could never get the color effects to be acceptable to myself. I think the problem is that the 15mm was not just color vignetting but also some strange stuff going on in he middle which was not symetrical up /down. The strange thing is that it should work. Subtracting colors off a neutral grey image should work. And the Sony app was too simple for asymetrical color distortion.

I have heard people say that lightroom does a good job. But I don't use LR, so I don't know.

I expect
...Show more

The photo posted above was infinity focus not closer focus. But yes, I didn't fully correct all the vignetting - a bit more vignetting correction in PS would also solve this. But there was a bit of wavy color shift going on towards the central upper part of the image. Also keep in mind that snow/bright white colors reveal everything in regard to vignetting and color casts . Overall I am quite satisfied with the result - I also own the Canon 14/2.8 II lens, but dislike its bulky size and rarely need it wide open (only for star photography which I rarely do).

Also don't expect miracles from the Sony app - it helps a lot reducing color casts, vignetting and chromatic aberrations, but the final improvement still has to be done in post processing.

Feb 17, 2015 at 07:04 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I do the lazy version of cornerfix.

I punch up the saturation, so the magenta is super obvious, then I use an LR brush to mask of the magenta cast, put the saturation back to normal and then adjust the WB tint in the masked area until it matches the rest of the image.

Not perfect, but good enough for me.

Living Room by MikeAubrey, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2015 at 08:07 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I just downloaded the Cornerfix version - seems to be quite a cumbersome workaround with getting those DNG files straightened out. Has anyone a better workflow here how to create a readable DNG file directly from LR? It is an option in the Export menu, but the files are still not recognized by Cornerfix....I would rather avoid downloading all the other Adobe programs as shown in the readme file to get this done right.

Feb 17, 2015 at 08:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I think you have to use the Adobe DNG converter? What about trying the Adobe Flat Field plugin for LR? I haven't used it, but it's supposed to be very similar to Cornerfix.

A few images taken with the new Voigtlander 15/4.5 at CP+ have made their way online, and look promising. While it's going to be around $800, it would be a much more compact alternative to the SLR 14mm lenses, if you can give up that 1mm. But 12mm is a lot wider. Kind of wonder whether Cosina will update the 12mm too? It's possible they did the 15mm first because the previous version really is much worse for color shifts, both on the Sonys and the Leica Ms.

How does the Sony lens compensation app work when you're using multiple lenses throughout a shoot? Do you have to remember to turn it off when you're not using the 12mm? If so, it would be like setting manual lens codes in the Leica Ms, which whenever I do, I inevitably forget to change it back half the time...

Feb 17, 2015 at 09:38 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

retrofocus wrote:
I just downloaded the Cornerfix version - seems to be quite a cumbersome workaround with getting those DNG files straightened out. Has anyone a better workflow here how to create a readable DNG file directly from LR? It is an option in the Export menu, but the files are still not recognized by Cornerfix....I would rather avoid downloading all the other Adobe programs as shown in the readme file to get this done right.

Edit*** Sorry, just realized that using a Sony you don't get a DNG, unlike Leica...I'd try Adobe DNG converter.

I'm not sure why you want create a readable DNG from Lightroom. For both Lightroom and Cornerfix you take a shot with your camera, either of a plain white wall, or in some cases a Whitebalance cap will work. This DNG will either become the reference file for correction for Lightroom's Flat Field or will be used to create a profile file in Cornerfix (open the file , then create profile)

Cornerfix will ask you for the profile to use to fix a file/batch. Lightroom asks you to point to the reference file when you start the plug-in.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:20 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

I use the LR lens profile and here is what I get on A7R:

http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/157475801/original.jpg

cropped at the bottom, since I kept the camera straight to decrease distortion
http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/157475793/original.jpg

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:41 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

rscheffler wrote:
I think you have to use the Adobe DNG converter? What about trying the Adobe Flat Field plugin for LR? I haven't used it, but it's supposed to be very similar to Cornerfix.

A few images taken with the new Voigtlander 15/4.5 at CP+ have made their way online, and look promising. While it's going to be around $800, it would be a much more compact alternative to the SLR 14mm lenses, if you can give up that 1mm. But 12mm is a lot wider. Kind of wonder whether Cosina will update the 12mm too? It's possible they did the 15mm
...Show more

Yes, I think I have to use the DNG converter - never used it so far. The lens compensation app works well with multiple lenses - it has a drop-down menu to select your entered lens-specific parameters from (for now I have saved settings for my CV 35, 21, and 12 mm lenses). You can save the same lens multiple times for different focal lengths and/or apertures used for example. When you change a lens on the Sony camera, you simply press the Menu button to get to the Main Menu and select the new lens with its settings from there - very easy and convenient.

Feb 18, 2015 at 07:19 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

CVickery wrote:
Edit*** Sorry, just realized that using a Sony you don't get a DNG, unlike Leica...I'd try Adobe DNG converter.

I'm not sure why you want create a readable DNG from Lightroom. For both Lightroom and Cornerfix you take a shot with your camera, either of a plain white wall, or in some cases a Whitebalance cap will work. This DNG will either become the reference file for correction for Lightroom's Flat Field or will be used to create a profile file in Cornerfix (open the file , then create profile)

Cornerfix will ask you for the profile to use to fix a
...Show more

Thanks for the info - now I understand the process a bit better. Yes, I need to install the DNG converter - I will check it out in the next few days and let you know how everything worked.

Feb 18, 2015 at 07:24 AM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

Here is what I do :

To correct for it, I am using 3 ways (interchangeably and sometimes a mix of them).
This is mainly for the vignetting, but method #2 takes care of the color cast as well.

Method 1
=======
1. Just use the CV12 profile in LR

Pros : Fast
Cons : Can be a tad too aggressive in the corrections causing the file to be brittle to further PP.
No help to the cases where the color cast is strong (seems its strong sometimes and not as obvious in others)

Method 2
=======
1. Shoot a white wall on long exposure and jiggle the camera about (so that its only a blur of the wall with only the vignette and color cast)
2. In LR, use a combination of CV12 profile and adjustment brush to correct the vignette and color cast.
3. Leave this 'correction template' in a folder in LR.
4. When correcting a CV12 photo, simply click on this 'correction template', click back to the shot to be corrected and click 'Prev'.
This will apply all the adjustments onto the photo.

The advantage of this is that I can usually leave a bit of 'under correction' which is often not too obvious but leaving the file with some mileage for other PP.

Method #3.
========
1. Create a Template as #2
2. Shoot a normal exposure shot and one that is 1.5, 2ev over exposure.
3. Use the template to create a mask in Photoshop
4. Use the mask on the over exposed shot
(I save this as an action so its really easy to apply)

This obviously gives the best quality file (but does not correct for the color cast).
Can be combined with method #2 with just tint correction of course.

Hope the info helps.
I've yet to try paid options, though I did not like using Adobe Flat Field Plugin (slow, hassle, aggressive correction, too many files to manage)

Feb 18, 2015 at 07:36 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

pinholecam wrote:
Here is what I do :

To correct for it, I am using 3 ways (interchangeably and sometimes a mix of them).
This is mainly for the vignetting, but method #2 takes care of the color cast as well.

Method 1
=======
1. Just use the CV12 profile in LR

Pros : Fast
Cons : Can be a tad too aggressive in the corrections causing the file to be brittle to further PP.
No help to the cases where the color cast is strong (seems its strong sometimes and not as obvious in others)

I successfully tried this after figuring out that the LR 5.6 version does not contain the CV profiles and needed to be upgraded to version 5.7! If the RAW file already contained changes made with the Sony lens conversion in-camera app, the use of the LR lens profile doesn't work well. I will try method 2 next.

I also installed the Adobe DNG converter and was able to transform the RAW file into a readable DNG format which can be read by CornerFix. Still need to get a good calibration shot for the lens profile as described by pinholecam above in method 2.

Feb 18, 2015 at 05:42 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

pinholecam wrote:
Method 2
=======
1. Shoot a white wall on long exposure and jiggle the camera about (so that its only a blur of the wall with only the vignette and color cast)
2. In LR, use a combination of CV12 profile and adjustment brush to correct the vignette and color cast.
3. Leave this 'correction template' in a folder in LR.
4. When correcting a CV12 photo, simply click on this 'correction template', click back to the shot to be corrected and click 'Prev'.
This will apply all the adjustments onto the photo.

The advantage of this is that I can usually leave a bit
...Show more

I have a few simple questions since I am not a proficient LR user (I normally only use LR to categorize my photos and process them in PS).
Regarding 3.) How do I save the changed/developed correction template?
Regarding 4) I didn't find out how this works - can you please describe in detail what and where to click in LR?

Feb 20, 2015 at 05:26 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

retrofocus wrote:
I have a few simple questions since I am not a proficient LR user (I normally only use LR to categorize my photos and process them in PS).
Regarding 3.) How do I save the changed/developed correction template?
Regarding 4) I didn't find out how this works - can you please describe in detail what and where to click in LR?

For #3, just do the corrections and then leave it in LR.

For #4, its just moving (ie. clicking) from one pict to the next.
So for example, it I had 10 picts (in the Develop page),
Pict1 is the one I did the corrections.
I need to apply the same corrections to pict #5.
I simply click back to pict#1, then click back to pict#5 and click the 'Prev' button.

Hope that helps.

Feb 21, 2015 at 05:10 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7s + CV 12/5.6 needs CornerFix

pinholecam wrote:
For #3, just do the corrections and then leave it in LR.

For #4, its just moving (ie. clicking) from one pict to the next.
So for example, it I had 10 picts (in the Develop page),
Pict1 is the one I did the corrections.
I need to apply the same corrections to pict #5.
I simply click back to pict#1, then click back to pict#5 and click the 'Prev' button.

Hope that helps.

Hi pinholecam, thanks so much for all your advice given here! Yes, all is working out fine now as you described above - thanks for the clarification! Since I had never used the "Previous" function button before, this was all new to me how easy the same processing parameters can be applied to other photos in LR.

I also got it worked out in Cornerfix - this relies on the detour to create the DNG files with the Adobe DNG Creator first, but the results turned out in a very similar way as with the LR method. As stated above, both ways and combinations of both are certainly feasible!

The only thing you shouldn't do is to apply the A7-series internal Lens Compensation App upfront to the RAW files - this messes up the whole calibration process in post processing as outlined above. It might work when also taking a lens profile RAW file with this app and the same photo parameters and use this file later as specific lens profile - but it would somehow defeat its purpose then.

Feb 21, 2015 at 09:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.