FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Zenfolio for website?

cre55107
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zenfolio for website?

Has anyone had experience with creating a website just using Zenfolio. I've never been good at the backend of a prophoto design to get it the way I want it looking. I use Zenfolio for all of my proofing so I thought I would explore that option first. I really like the examples that they one their website but I just don't know about their "blogging" options. Any help or other suggestions would be great.

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zenfolio for website?

I've been pretty happy with them. My website is all zenfolio. They have a lot of options and it is perfect for someone who doesnt know much about custom website. There is probably a quicker alternative to blog but I don't find zenfolio that difficult to blog with.

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:26 PM
cre55107
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zenfolio for website?

I really like it! Is your blog still made using zenfolio?

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:31 PM
alpinekiwi
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zenfolio for website?

My site is completely Zenfolio, from portfolios to blog. I find it easy to navigate and use.

I'm sure there are other web building sites out there with more personalisation options, but this works for me. I wish I had some time to explore Zenfolio deeper to make mine more personalised...

Jan 05, 2015 at 01:30 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zenfolio for website?

its really easy and their support is second to none.
If you go with Zenfolio you can use this code and we both get 10 dollars 7C5-D6P-ZRY

Jan 05, 2015 at 01:38 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zenfolio for website?

cre55107 wrote:
I really like it! Is your blog still made using zenfolio?

Yes sir.

Jan 05, 2015 at 09:18 AM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zenfolio for website?

I have been configuring a zenfolio website. It works well enough for me. I am not designer by any means so I get frustrated easily with my website.

Jan 05, 2015 at 01:23 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zenfolio for website?

Zenflio is nice for galleries for clients and selling but for a site it isn't ideal. Sure you can make it look nice but it lacks. It really doesn't help with your SEO, regardless of what they say. Its also not responsive and to a lot of people, responsive sites are very important to them. I wouldn't ever go back to a site that is not responsive.

Jan 06, 2015 at 10:32 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zenfolio for website?

paparazzinick wrote:
Zenflio is nice for galleries for clients and selling but for a site it isn't ideal. Sure you can make it look nice but it lacks. It really doesn't help with your SEO, regardless of what they say. Its also not responsive and to a lot of people, responsive sites are very important to them. I wouldn't ever go back to a site that is not responsive.

Quoted for Truth

While it may be easy and cheap, it sure isn't "good".

My short term advice: Take a Wordpress course and a community college or continuing ed center and then buy a nice theme, spend a weekend customizing it.

Or, if you want the long term advice: Find a designer/developer. There are likely students or fresh out of school people itching for some work, I bet you can find someone to do a decent job on a site for you for $2K. Great investment if you ask me, assuming they do am decent job and know a little about SEO, etc.

Jan 06, 2015 at 11:24 AM
cre55107
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zenfolio for website?

These are good points. I'm not sure what you mean by "responsive" Do you mean speed? What draws me the most to it is the way it displays a portfolio. I don't see getting galleries to look as large as this on a WP blog with say a prophoto theme or am i wrong?

Jan 06, 2015 at 03:50 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zenfolio for website?

cre55107 wrote:
These are good points. I'm not sure what you mean by "responsive" Do you mean speed? What draws me the most to it is the way it displays a portfolio. I don't see getting galleries to look as large as this on a WP blog with say a prophoto theme or am i wrong?

Responsive is when you resize the browser window, open the site on a laptop, 30" display, 17" display, ipad, mobile or whatever, the site resizes and fits the window. Its not the same as mobile ready sites. Mobile ready sites usually are a fixed width and will not resize to fit the screen. You have a desktop version that is a fixed width and then the mobile version that fits to the mobile device.

Take prophoto blog, which a lot of people use and I used to use. Great company that makes an amazing product. but when you create the site, it is fixed to the width you choose. So if you choose 900px wide, that's it. it doesn't resize to bigger or smaller. When you view a prophoto site on an iphone or ipad, it will go to a mobile version of it, but it is not the same.

A responsive site will resize and be the exact same on all devices.

Take my site for example. Pittsburgh Wedding Photograper Resize your browser window and watch how it fits the content to the browers size. Then look at it on a smart phone or tablet. It resizes to fit and is not a separate mobile version. This is what I like best about responsive design.

Hope that helps.

Jan 09, 2015 at 10:44 AM
scraptag
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zenfolio for website?

I would be more concerned with how difficult a website is to use.zen folio seems to be s but cumbersome for my clients so I am going to try to work with customer service to remedy that.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zenfolio for website?

I've been happy enough with my Zen site. As a previous web designer, I can see where their backend user interface could use an update, but I also appreciate the ease with which I can manage my files, add, delete, change directories, etc. There are other clunky things too such as the customization settings...but it forces me into a "keep it simple" mindset.

That said, many people are liking squarespace these days too.

The other caveat is that I not longer have time nor patience for web page maintenance other than doing what needs to be done for clients. <over> it </>

I'm not a blogger but they have that too - fyi.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions with them...PM best if you do so I get them.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:03 AM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zenfolio for website?

Zenfolio has come a LONG way from what it used to be. I use it mainly for backup, occasionally for proofing, but have moved my proofing to another solution.

If Zenfolio's recent improvements over past 18mos are any indication, I think they will continue to offer increased personalization, etc. I would venture that they are very aware of shortcomings (as probably any other product as well) and it's more of a cost-benefit to get more features/improvements implemented.

Squarespace (which I also don't use) has also made massive improvements. All of this competition is really great for us!

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:25 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.