Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Kansas is Flat and Boring!

Jonathan Knight
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kansas is Flat and Boring!

or so they say...

Nestled in the heart of central Kansas are the Flint Hills, the largest remaining tract of tallgrass prairie land in the entire world. Tallgrass prairie once covered 170 million acres of North America. Within a generation the vast majority was developed and plowed under. Today less than 4% remains, mostly in the Kansas Flint Hills."

Unique landforms called "cuestas" are shaped by alternating layers of limestone and shale deposits. Wind and water have created steeply sloped hills topped with hard limestone.

My home:

http://66.147.244.176/~jknightp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RESIZE_05.27.14.KS_.Konza_.071.jpg

http://66.147.244.176/~jknightp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RESIZE_05.27.14.KS_.Konza_.023.jpg

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:45 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kansas is Flat and Boring!

Love the color one, though a little more sky might be nice. Was it cropped? Doesn't look quite wide enough for 24mm.

The Flint Hills are beautiful and the only reason ever drive west of Lawrence. Go Jayhawks.

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:59 PM
Jonathan Knight
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kansas is Flat and Boring!

Thanks for looking. The color one was cropped a bit, but not too much. The sky is blown to bajeezus so I tried to remove most of it otherwise your eye went straight to it ..... =/

.......Go Cats!

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:13 PM
ggleason
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kansas is Flat and Boring!

I was born in this area, although I've not lived in Kansas for many years . I hope to do some photography in the Flint Hills (including some night time stars) this coming June when I'm back in the state. Even when the flowers are blooming on the prairie, the wind often makes photography very frustrating.

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:29 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kansas is Flat and Boring!

I like these images!

I've always liked Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska, plus Illinois. All the history and old towns. The Midwest.

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Jonathan Knight
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kansas is Flat and Boring!

Thank you for your comments. The Midwest is no Yellowstone, but it has its beauty!

Thanks for looking!

Jan 04, 2015 at 11:32 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.