Archive 2015 · So after due consultation with Petkal

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · So after due consultation with Petkal

StillFingerz wrote:
Translated just for you, Peter, 'TANSTAAFL' is short for

'There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch'

something my dad and grandfathers pounded into my tiny pea brain and it's served me well; mostly

Jerry, thanks for providing the translation. I lost track of this one.

The lesson has been around since the dawn of time.

The acronym TANSTAAFL is from Robert A. Heinlein's, "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", 1969. An excellent and surprisingly contemporary read.

Jan 12, 2015 at 06:08 PM
Bones74
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · So after due consultation with Petkal

PetKal wrote:
See Stu, a young strong buck like yourself could be shooting handheld with the old 600 f/4 IS MkI all day.

My 500 II (and 300 II, 200-400L and 400 II) has not been on a pod yet, and it will not be any time soon. My torn shoulder keeps me from using 800L handheld now, but 500 II I find quite manageable in moderation, and with a modified handhold I had to develop recently.......the hold is not as effective, but can't win them all.

Young-ish buck I'm 4 decades young now and feeling like I have an extra decade under the belt. All the previous gym work has done my back, knees and joints no favours. I reckon I could still shoot an old 600 one handed though Is your shoulder on the mend yet? Its obviously a serious impediment to using a big white lens I guess that 100-400 ii makes even more sense at the moment.

I did get some nice shots of a beautiful River Otter in its habitat. Handheld of course

Edited on Jan 12, 2015 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2015 at 06:26 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · So after due consultation with Petkal

Bones74 wrote:
I did get some nice shots of a beautiful River Otter in its habitat. Handheld of course

That is one super good shot.......in fact, as good as it gets. I am proud of you.

Jan 12, 2015 at 06:33 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · So after due consultation with Petkal

PetKal wrote:
That is one super good shot.......in fact, as good as it gets. I am proud of you.

My camera takes good photos! Thanks Peter I probably could have done with taking the TC off at that point, 500mm would have been perfect and the light was fading.

Jan 12, 2015 at 06:37 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · So after due consultation with Petkal

Bones74 wrote:
My camera takes good photos! Thanks Peter I probably could have done with taking the TC off at that point, 500mm would have been perfect and the light was fading.

Stu, we should not argue with excellence and success of our results.

Jan 12, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · So after due consultation with Petkal

PetKal wrote:
Stu, we should not argue with excellence and success of our results.

True, I like to think I've made at least a little progress learning how to use my 500 You're obviously a supetelemaster

Jan 13, 2015 at 06:03 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · So after due consultation with Petkal

Well, supertelemaster or not, I do not think I could have made a better shot than that, if I was presented with such opportunity.

Jan 13, 2015 at 06:40 AM
MDJAK
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · So after due consultation with Petkal

PetKal wrote:
Bruder Mark, why not throw some bird seed on the ground in a sheltered place (backyard?) and test shoot whatever creatures you get there.

Oh, that's exactly what I meant by not much time. I've got a bevy of bird feeders in my backyard. I was shooting that and my dogs.

Problem is, I recently sold my 1Dx, miss it, can't wait for its replacement to hit the market whenever, and so "only" have the 5D3, which I can tell is not as snappy. That, and while I have the back button focus (as I've used exclusively for years), on this one, as it was my wife's, the shutter button also focuses and I can't figure out how to change that, so trying to get the small birds flying in and out of the feeders was impossible due to the shutter refocusing.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:06 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · So after due consultation with Petkal

deleted

Edited on Jan 13, 2015 at 05:06 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:52 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · So after due consultation with Petkal

MDJAK wrote:
Problem is, I recently sold my 1Dx, miss it, can't wait for its replacement to hit the market whenever, and so "only" have the 5D3, which I can tell is not as snappy. That, and while I have the back button focus (as I've used exclusively for years), on this one, as it was my wife's, the shutter button also focuses and I can't figure out how to change that, so trying to get the small birds flying in and out of the feeders was impossible due to the shutter refocusing.

I understand, all the experts and pros use the back button for AF, and it is only hacks like myself who hopelessly try to muddle thru with the shutter button use for focussing.

Edited on Jan 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:53 AM
MDJAK
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · So after due consultation with Petkal

nice painting. is that by numbers? You stay in the lines well.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:54 AM
MDJAK
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · So after due consultation with Petkal

when you got talent, Peter, you got talent. Doesn't matter what you use. It's us hacks that need all the help we can get.

Jan 13, 2015 at 09:55 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · So after due consultation with Petkal

MDJAK wrote:
nice painting. is that by numbers? You stay in the lines well.

Actually, the bird flew in front of a lighthouse and some trees....the red comes from the lighthouse building roof. Since the lens was shot wide open, and the bird was no more than 35 ft distant, the entire background scene got vapourized.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · So after due consultation with Petkal

PetKal wrote:
Well, supertelemaster or not, I do not think I could have made a better shot than that, if I was presented with such opportunity.

mmmm... such modesty

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.