Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

While searching for a flash for my D750, I came across Neewer VK750 II flash and from the reviews it looks like a great option considering it does iTTL for a fraction of price of Nikon flashes.

I'm particular interested in the wireless flash kit and would like to know if anyone has any personal experience with these.

Edited on Jan 04, 2015 at 09:41 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Weez
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

I went the Yongnuo route, but this looks good too.

I'd say grab it - you can always return it if it falls short of your expectations.

Jan 04, 2015 at 07:03 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered one. For that price, it's a steal, if it even works half as well as and sb800 and is easier to set up. I always get confused with the menus on those speedlights. I don't use them often enough for my pea brain to be able to remember how to work those menus.

I'll try it out as soon as I have time and post my impressions. BTW, I didn't get the wireless kit. I just got a single flash for test purposes.

Kerry

Jan 04, 2015 at 07:45 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

I have 3 of them and they've been working flawlessly for about 4 months. Quite powerful and TTL is accurate. I've sold my SB900s and SB700s and invested in a Profoto B1 sysyem for outdoor use.

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:28 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Weez wrote:
I went the Yongnuo route, but this looks good too.

I'd say grab it - you can always return it if it falls short of your expectations.

I've heard really good things about Yongnuo but I don't think it supports iTTL, otherwise I would have definitely considered them.

hijazist wrote:
I have 3 of them and they've been working flawlessly for about 4 months. Quite powerful and TTL is accurate. I've sold my SB900s and SB700s and invested in a Profoto B1 sysyem for outdoor use.

Thanks for the reply. So it seems like the general consensus is that the flash are good. What about the flash kit (link in OP)? Does it look good or should I consider buying just the flashes and then getting better triggers and accessories separately?

Edit:
I found another kit on Amazon. It has a lot more reviews and majority of them are positive but I've not heard of this brand either.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-Wireless-Magicfiber-Microfiber/dp/B00NFYHW8Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420427464&sr=8-2&keywords=ttl+trigger+nikon

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:57 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

At 128 bucks for the kit it's a no brainer even for my bewildered brain. Once again Fred is costing me money.

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:37 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

ajamils wrote:
I've heard really good things about Yongnuo but I don't think it supports iTTL, otherwise I would have definitely considered them.

That's correct, no TTL. Their newest model does (HSS, too), but it's currently only available for Canon.

Jan 04, 2015 at 11:32 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Can't comment on the kit since I only use them on-camera or as optical slaves with Profoto, but the reviews sound great. BTW, Yongnuo has TTL flashes.

Jan 05, 2015 at 08:07 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Any suggestion between Altura or Neewer? From the pictures it looks like Altura is a better built flash plus it comes with carrying case and defuser.

hijazist,
Which model of Yongnuo do you recommend?

Jan 05, 2015 at 09:35 AM
kcartwright27
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Weez wrote:
That's correct, no TTL. Their newest model does (HSS, too), but it's currently only available for Canon.

Yongnuo makes flashes, tranceivers, transmitters and receivers that are all Nikon iTTL compatible..
I use them.. they work pretty darn good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1108675-REG/yongnuo_yn_568exn_ttl_speedlite_flash_for.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086002-REG/yongnuo_yn_622n_tx_i_ttl_wireless_flash.html

Jan 05, 2015 at 12:42 PM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

ajamils wrote:
While searching for a flash for my D750, I came across Neewer VK750 II flash and from the reviews it looks like a great option considering it does iTTL for a fraction of price of Nikon flashes.

I'm particular interested in the wireless flash kit and would like to know if anyone has any personal experience with these.

I have one coming tomorrow. I plan to compare it to my SB-700 and post it up in the next few days.

Jan 05, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

kcartwright27 wrote:

Yongnuo makes flashes, tranceivers, transmitters and receivers that are all Nikon iTTL compatible..
I use them.. they work pretty darn good.

I'm sorry, you're correct, and I should have clarified a bit.

There are, of course Yongnuo models that are iTTL compatible with Nikon. I saw the OP's link and immediately thought of my Yongnuo setup, which is 560 IIIs and a TX controller (both radio and optical). I can set both flash zoom and power right from the TX on the camera's hotshoe, but there's no HSS or TTL.

The 568EX, if I'm not mistaken, will do both TTL and HSS, but you need, say, a 622 or similar to get all the functions, right?* And even then, with a 622 or similar, you don't have the ability to control zoom and/or power...I think.

At any rate, I confused myself and then passed on the confusion, and I stand corrected.

*Off camera

Jan 05, 2015 at 01:40 PM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Weez wrote:
The 568EX, if I'm not mistaken, will do both TTL and HSS, but you need, say, a 622 or similar to get all the functions, right?* And even then, with a 622 or similar, you don't have the ability to control zoom and/or power...I think.

At any rate, I confused myself and then passed on the confusion, and I stand corrected.

the 622 on camera w/a 568EX on a 622 should have all functions but manual zoom settings (unless you can do that when the menu flash settings).

Using the 622TX you should be able to completely control a TTL flash like the 568EX just like it was on a hotshoe.

Jan 05, 2015 at 01:45 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Braineack wrote:
the 622 on camera w/a 568EX on a 622 should have all functions but manual zoom settings (unless you can do that when the menu flash settings).

Using the 622TX you should be able to completely control a TTL flash like the 568EX just like it was on a hotshoe.

Ah ok...but is this optical only, or RF as well?

Jan 05, 2015 at 01:58 PM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Radio.

Jan 05, 2015 at 02:46 PM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

Ok so after spending some more time on Amazon, I think following are the choices for TTL as well as off camera flash (optical) with with Nikon.

- Altura AP-N001

- Neewer VK750

- Yongnuo YN565EXN

All seems to have similar features but price wise they are quite different. I have no personal experience with either of the brands but I've read good things about Yongnuo. Does anyone has any experience with Altura or Neewer brand flashes? Reviews on Amazon suggest that they both are great.

Jan 05, 2015 at 03:33 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

That Altura looks quite nice. It probably doesn't have an AUTO mode, which I would use on my older film camera and Rolleiflex.
I ended up buying a high end Metz that does about everything for less than the high end Nikon. It's more powerful too.

Jan 06, 2015 at 07:47 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

I ended up ordering the Neewer VK750 as it was the cheapest but with all the features of higher costing flashes.

Jan 06, 2015 at 08:07 AM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

I got mine in.

TL;DR: I wouldn't replace my SB700 with it. BUT, if you just need a cheap flash for off-camera work, then it's a pretty darn good value.

I put it head to head against my SB700 in a few conditions:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ShXmCwirbxg/VKxhmt-4hhI/AAAAAAAAKVY/pT_ALtKYD90/w1231-h516-no/1-1_power.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hXh-HEQ40N8/VKxhmd_H_vI/AAAAAAAAKV4/SoD293rD3hA/w1231-h516-no/1-16_power.jpg

in this shot you can see the beam hits a little more center in the frame filling it more evenly.

TTL works well, brighter than the SB700 overall, but I need to shoot the SB700 in spot to get out of TTL-BL mode and run some more comparisons--especially outside.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gVnwv8Ldo44/VKxhn8-2quI/AAAAAAAAKVE/VnfdHlkLvyo/w1231-h516-no/TTL_power.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZvD5v2nSpwo/VKxhpg_P_CI/AAAAAAAAKVw/LeBiDz5l3oo/w1231-h516-no/ttl_tiger_bounce.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kByyij0-61s/VKxhpghJl6I/AAAAAAAAKV0/FrMYUvuh2OQ/w1231-h516-no/ttl_tiger_umbrella.jpg

Cons:

• Assist Beam is a simple laser pattern - It's beam isn't even close to center so I have a hard time using it with close objects in the dark. The SB700 was MUCH better in this regard.

• The zoom motor is loud. Sounds like an old wind-up toy. Make it seem very cheap.

• No HSS. Can only sync up to 1/250.

• Large oversize but output same as the smaller SB700.

• dual pilot/test buttons--unnessecary

Pros:

CHEAP AS HELL

Solid construction; very firm/strong tilt/swivel locking points.

Works VERY well with the YN622.

TTL works well.

Stroboflash -- Multi flash bursts over short period of time to capture a sequence of motion.

Two slave modes -- one ignores any TTL preflash.

Jan 08, 2015 at 01:12 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Opinion about Neewer iTTL flashes?

• No HSS. Can only sync up to 1/250.

This alone makes buying Nikon worth it.

Jan 08, 2015 at 01:50 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.