New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Composition CC please. Lone light

cmboland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Composition CC please. Lone light

This is a picture I really like of an award "light bulb" that Anthology Coffee in Detroit had one about bright ideas. It's a lightbulb mounted on this great stained box and I really enjoy many aspects about this. I always consult my friend's who are working photographers on what they like or do not like about images and one of them said "What's the 'point'"?

I said that the point was to show the singular light and how its interestingly mounted on this box and set alone on a counter top. I had much difficulty describing what the "point" was of the image beyond the fact that I really liked the fixture, its interesting and produced great light.

The only thing i did in post was a lens correction and decrease the exposure on the bulb to show off its filament.

Is there something about the composition that makes this uninteresting or is it just a lazy image in the first place?

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:59 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Composition CC please. Lone light

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with your former critics. I do not find this very interesting. You mentioned that the "fixture" looked interesting. I just see an indistinct brown box that seems about to slide off of a shelf. The left half of the image is out of focus and without an specific element of interest. The filament in the light globe is the only element I see that is interesting. Maybe a macro or a closeup of the globe would make for some interesting shapes.

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Composition CC please. Lone light

And I see it chocked full of study elements.

I see it as a display of the character and nature of light.

We have things like falloff, ISL spherical distribution, specularity, diffuse, AI=AR, shadow. I see line, shape, form, texture, symmetry, leading lines, tone and hue relationships.

For me, this is very reminiscent of "Orgnanized" (later renamed to "The Study") in that it's purpose is to generate thought provocation rather than to be a picture of a subject unto itself.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1314979/0#12546594

For me, (and my "What's the point?") the message that is being conveyed (or aspired to be conveyed) is that we have a bevy of study elements that is being illustrated.

My only "nit" here is that I long for the perspective to have some separation between the glass bulb and the metal pole (i.e. not overlapping).

For me, this isn't an image you look at ... it is one you study ... and that is the point.

If someone just came along and took a snapshot of a light bulb ... it could be construed as the same by some. But, I see the bevy of fundamental elements contained within and I derive a feeling of command and control of inclusive content intent ... rather than happenstance of it is a picture of a light bulb, so what?

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:49 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Composition CC please. Lone light

Clearly this is in the eye of the beholder. I am scratching my head trying to understand inclusive content intent, ISL spherical distribution, specularity. I am also trying to decipher AI=AR.

Jan 04, 2015 at 03:23 PM
Jonathan Knight
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Composition CC please. Lone light

You said it yourself:

" I had much difficulty describing what the "point" was of the image beyond the fact that I really liked the fixture, its interesting and produced great light."

Any photograph, of any subject, in any genre, should have a strong message beyond composition, texture, line, shape, light, etc. It is a visual communication medium, after all. And every photograph you make should have a purpose, a reason, a point.

Ultimately my point is: if you can't describe it, why do you think someone else would get "it"? What is "it"? You should be able to explain every photo you make in a clear and concise sentence.

"the Art of Photography" by Barnbaum covers these ideas well.

Jan 04, 2015 at 06:41 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Composition CC please. Lone light

Sorry Jim,

ISL ... Inverse Square Law
AI = AR ... Angle of Incidence = Angle of Reflection
spherical distribution ... light radiating in all directions
inclusive content intent ... all those different fundamental elements of content were included intentionally, i.e. not a matter of random chance.
specularity ... point reflection

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Composition CC please. Lone light

RustyBug wrote:
ahfiaphgap ahgpahpgh a hgkjhizfg h p paghagha gncvngj
jhagakgh

kajgnakjhgalkjgt
a
;akjgnanh

Or something like that...? (no offense intended toward you, Ken. Just using letters to emphasize my own ignorance of the words and concepts you used).

I think this is a matter of "I may not know art, but I know what I like...".

I believe that in the space and in the time this image was taken there was at least ONE good photograph. Unfortunately, this picture is not the "one". I don't think any of the elements are presented in a way to captivate attention or make a point. It comes across as a "snapshot" of a corner that happens to have a bare bulb on a shelf....for some reason.

Looks like it could be reshot so all is not lost....

I'd give it another try.

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Composition CC please. Lone light

no offense taken

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the image. I perceive it as a recording of someone else's message. The artisan installation was the creation of the elements, not the OP's capture of it. To that end, this one isn't a creation of the OP, but a recording of someone else's creation ... if I'm reading things correctly here.

Somewhat like taking a picture of "David" ... the art is likely in the sculpture, not the pictorial recording.

I think that the person who created the installation piece knew why they were placing all those elements into play. Being captivated by it (despite its seemingly randomness) and taking an image of it doesn't necessarily require a full understanding of the point. But, I think it serves to further illustrate the installation artist's message of thought provocation as evidence in that it caused the OP to capture it ... even if the OP couldn't explain it as well as he may have liked.

The message of the installation is as I first mentioned. The message of the photograph itself is "Look what I found." "I've recorded this to study." "I've recorded this to share with others." or some similar message ... i.e. it is a message within a message.

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:18 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Composition CC please. Lone light

Not sure what you were drawn to most. To me, the soft light of the reflection and the various textures in the steel, wood and wall stand out as key elements accompanying and illuminated by the light.
But it is not enough to make the comp, IMO.
Scott

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:37 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Composition CC please. Lone light

I like the lamp. Color is a warm plus. I'm OK with the box, but the chrome pole seems visually out of place. Composition doesn't seem to have a message for my eyes.

Jan 05, 2015 at 04:24 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Composition CC please. Lone light

I agree the that pole is unfortunately placed and the box could have more detail in the curves of the wood, and the not-level angle is a bit odd. But... i think you could still have something interesting.

Try a big crop from the top. Maybe a bit from the lower left edge. I did that with my browser and liked it.

If you were "drawn to the light" - then draw the viewer to the light.
Very strong diagonal lines leading straight to a curving filament... Curve vs line is a nice visual contrast. Light filament vs dark walls is a nice contrast too.

Jan 06, 2015 at 02:05 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Composition CC please. Lone light

When I'm drawn to subject, I often find I have to revisit it a number of times before I find something that gives me that "a-ha!" moment that vindicates the original hunch.

Jan 06, 2015 at 06:35 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.