FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

I took some time this week to try this combo out as I have seen some outstanding work here and on POTN using it. Most of the days I tried were cloudy to overcast with some light breaking through here and there. I shot wide open while maintaining a reasonably high shutter speed - 1/1000 and up - and adjusting ISO as needed all tripod and gimbal mounted.

My initial thoughts are, yes, the AF slows down, but still should be good enough for tracking birds going across the viewfinder or landing assuming I do my part. Very good for static shots or shots with minimal movement.

However, I ran into a problem and would like some help. I noticed in tracking birds moving across the viewfinder, that the combo would grab focus, confirm and lose it - just that quick. Even if the AF point stayed on the bird, focus got dropped. I normally shoot in case 2 with tracking at -1, so I tried case 4 at the same setting, as well as changing the sensitivity both slower and higher. Nothing really helped.

Any tips or suggestions on what else I could try? I know the ability is there, just need to help me define the parameters I guess.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:42 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

http://kentjarrett.com/birdsinflight/

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:30 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

I'm following most of that Kent. But the focus keeps dropping.

Interested to hear why shoot with both eyes open? I know this is a debate in shotgunning and shoot both eyes open there. What's the advantage here?

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:30 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

bipock wrote:

Interested to hear why shoot with both eyes open? I know this is a debate in shotgunning and shoot both eyes open there. What's the advantage here?

Larger field of view. I was missing too much action when only tracking with one eye closed.

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:47 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

BNJarrett wrote:
Larger field of view. I was missing too much action when only tracking with one eye closed.

exactly. helps in seeing what's coming into the view finder especially from the left as well as what's going on outside of the viewfinder. This works well for me for years.

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Elkoholic

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

I have a question based on the discussion. What focusing set are you using with the IDX when shooting birds in flight, there are so many choices and it seems impossible to figure out which is the best to use. I've tried several of them, and each doesn't seem to work that well.
Thanks Tim

Jan 05, 2015 at 04:59 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

Once I learned how I find using both eyes makes it easier to follow my subject.

Wacky roger

Jan 05, 2015 at 05:59 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

bipock wrote:

There is a tracking function in the menu in the Canon ID series faster or slower. Play with it.

Jan 05, 2015 at 06:20 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

What type of bird? If there isn't much contrast, even the 1DX will struggle with the 2X on. I have also noticed this jumpy behaviour at times but haven't really looked into an explanation for why.

Jan 05, 2015 at 06:38 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tips for using 1Dx with 600 II and 2xIII

I shoot mostly in my customer servo mode and 9 grid square with center dot for focus points.

Jan 05, 2015 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.