Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

Jos Light

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

In updating/expanding my gear, I've sprung for a used 17-40.

I've used this lens in the past, via rental and loved the results i got from the lens (asking the question, why the hell has it taken me so long to get one?) However, when I used the rental, it was filter-less. I am not one to go without a filter because they protect the first element and keep it clean. I am now wondering what sort of filter I should toss on.

What would be my best option to go with? Skylight 1A, UV or CPL?

Not sure what I'll be shooting with this lens yet, but given my love for wide angle shots, it'll like be my walk-around/candid portrait lens.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

CPL is most useful, but will cut out a stop of light. So if you need to be using high shutter speeds or shooting in low light, a UV filter would be optimal.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:27 PM
Jos Light

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

So, you're saying i'd be best off with both.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:41 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

Many people use multicoated UV filters for protection and to complete weather sealing. CPLs are fantastic for outdoor photography in good lighting but can create some funky colors in the sky at 21mm and wider due to the polarizing effect on the sky. I don't mind it, but I know some people do.

As far as which brands to get, I use B+W UV 010 MRC filters for protection because they have the fantastic optical clarity. I use marumi CPLs because they rotate significantly more easily than B+W filters and are optically better.

UV filter review: http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-uv_filters_test.html

CPL filter review: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-polarizing_filters_test.html

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:46 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

UV filters don't do much for digital sensors, so a good clear filter from a reputable brand would be a good choice.
A CPL filter works great for enhancing skies and green tree color in landscapes but be wary of usage at extremely wide angles. A CPL filter will often cause an unwanted, uneven sky tonality.
For times when the lens isn't exposed to the elements, a clear filter makes little sense and can cause unwanted reflections, even the most expensive multi-coated types.
In regards to filter quality, the better, multi-coated types are the way to go. If you always use filters, spending a bit more becomes a good value.

My favorite brands: B&W, Heliopan, Hoya, Marumi

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:49 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

kezeka wrote:
Many people use multicoated UV filters for protection and to complete weather sealing. CPLs are fantastic for outdoor photography in good lighting but can create some funky colors in the sky at 21mm and wider due to the polarizing effect on the sky. I don't mind it, but I know some people do.

As far as which brands to get, I use B+W UV 010 MRC filters for protection because they have the fantastic optical clarity. I use marumi CPLs because they rotate significantly more easily than B+W filters and are optically better.

UV filter review: http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-uv_filters_test.html

CPL filter review: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-polarizing_filters_test.html

I would tend to agree that the B&W filters are a bit "tight" when rotating.
Marumi filters are a great value.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:51 PM
TJ Asher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

A CPL is a very specialized filter. It's not really appropriate for all-around use. It's good for those times when you want a super deep blue sky or are trying to photograph on the water. Spend the money and get a high quality one. I like and own a B+W.

A UV or Skylight filter is not going to do anything for you except put an extra piece of glass between you and your image. It's another opportunity to introduce reflections and lens flare.

I see a lot of people adding a $50 or $100 filter to a lens just to "protect" it. I used to think that way myself a long time ago. Lenses are tougher than you think. I have not used a filter other than a CPL for many, many years. I've taken my gear into some really unpleasant weather/environments and have never had an issue with my front element on any lens. Why? Because I use my lens hood.

The lens hood is your friend and you should use it ALL THE TIME.

You do not need a UV/clear filter over the front of your lens unless you are in a very specialized environment with blowing/flying grit or sand or rocks that could possibly etch/damage the front element (think off road racing). There are a few other instances I can think of like photographing welding where I would consider a filter to protect my lens (from welding spatter) but it would come off right after I was done with that specialized situation. For normal, everyday walking around, sightseeing, shooting street or landscape or portraits, no UV/clear filter should be necessary. I've never photographed a portrait with a filter on my lens.

You say you want a filter to keep the front element clean. If you are in a scenario where you need to keep your front element clean you would also to need to keep the filter in front of the lens clean. It's not a magic shield. If your filter gets dirty you need to clean it just like you would need to clean your lens.

If you need to clean your front element get a micro-fiber cloth to clean it. It's not a big deal to clean it.

Cameras and lenses are tools that require periodic maintenance and cleaning, just like any other tool. Don't be afraid of cleaning your equipment.

Go free and live without a filter. It feels nice!

Cheers!
TJ

PS - if you are dead set against going free then I suggest a really good B+W filter.

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:27 PM
Jos Light

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

TJ Asher wrote:
I used to think that way myself a long time ago. Lenses are tougher than you think.

I forgot to mention... i can be careless at times. I totally effed up a 50mm from carelessness. Though... that guy is out of alignment, so that doesn't count.

Older (metal barrel) lenses are definitely tougher. I've dropped my Yashica and Zeiss with no ill effect. These plastic bodied lenses just don't stand up to the same stresses.

TJ Asher wrote:
The lens hood is your friend and you should use it ALL THE TIME.

I will definitely take that under heavy advisement. I don't both with hoods on my other lenses, though UWA/WAs are prone to flare, which I don't always want.

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:37 PM
Coltrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

TJ Asher said it well. A hood offers the best protection for a lens. I agree that you should try going without a protective filter. But if you insist on buying one, then B+W is is quite reliable. I have several of their CPLs and they're excellent.

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:42 PM
Jos Light

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

Also... it's easier to wipe a flat surface clean than it is to wipe a curved one.

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:44 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

This can open a can of worms as some folks are always or never. I am a sort of user with a filter on a few lenses but not all, and it is not a conscious decision. I have never damaged a lens in 30 years by not having a filter but I use hoods all the time and I'm not usually out in the elements. When I am and I have an extra filter that fits, I may use it...but it's not something that worries me.

I am not 100% positive but a CPL And a 17 mm might be tricky as a polarizer only darkens or polarizes light from certain directions, the extreme wide angle would include areas of the sky that are darker (polarized) and lighter (non-polarized)

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:54 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

Micky Bill wrote:
This can open a can of worms as some folks are always or never. I am a sort of user with a filter on a few lenses but not all, and it is not a conscious decision. I have never damaged a lens in 30 years by not having a filter but I use hoods all the time and I'm not usually out in the elements. When I am and I have an extra filter that fits, I may use it...but it's not something that worries me.

I am not 100% positive but a CPL And a 17 mm might
...Show more

I've stopped commenting about filter or no filter. It's really a personal choice. Enjoy the new to you lens.

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:59 PM
TJ Asher
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

Jos Light wrote:
I forgot to mention... i can be careless at times. I totally effed up a 50mm from carelessness.
Older (metal barrel) lenses are definitely tougher. I've dropped my Yashica and Zeiss with no ill effect. These plastic bodied lenses just don't stand up to the same stresses.

These are tools, yes, but not practically indestructible like a pipe wrench is.

Having a filter on your lens won't help it much if you drop it.

Jan 04, 2015 at 03:40 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

surf monkey wrote:
I would tend to agree that the B&W filters are a bit "tight" when rotating.
Marumi filters are a great value.

+1 for the Marumi CPL - I bought mine after looking at the LensTip article (I was on the fence with B+W), but bang for the buck it's been great. I've been extremely happy with it.

Jan 04, 2015 at 04:05 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

I'm using filters less and less, and when I do, it's for protection from elements (including event crowds). Most my paid shooting involves lenses that can't be easily covered (14 Samyang, 17TSE, even the 15FE) or have too much of polarized banding (anything below 24mm). So, even though the effect of a polarizing filter can't be duplicated in PP, I usually fix skies in LR to even them out or darken a bit. I find CPL to be best between 24-105mm for general use. When using a filter, I try to choose the best practical model, usually B+W or the nicer Hoya Super and up.

You might as well get a set of one UV (or clear) and one CPL of whatever brand and making sure they are multi-coated. I'd use them when needed, and naked all other times.

Hey, butter-fingers! Be more careful!

Jan 04, 2015 at 04:16 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

Some weather sealed lenses require a front filter for full weather sealing.

Jan 04, 2015 at 04:51 PM
Jos Light

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

True. Nothing can save a dropped lens... except maybe anti-gravity, but despite all of our advancements in technology, we haven't developed yet.

So, Gentlemen... thank you for the quick lesson(s) in filter choice and usage.

Jan 04, 2015 at 05:03 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

I once had a toddler stick a fried chicken leg into the camera. (Maybe he saw it as a mouth?) Anyway, it took hot soapy water to get the grease off the filter. Now, if there are kids involved, there is a filter involved.

Jan 04, 2015 at 07:46 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

if you must use a filter, a good tip I came across many moons ago was to take the threads of the filters and drag them across the top of your nose to get the oils of the skin onto the threads, makes putting them on and off much easier......

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:12 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Does the filter I pick really matter?

runamuck wrote:
I once had a toddler stick a fried chicken leg into the camera. (Maybe he saw it as a mouth?) Anyway, it took hot soapy water to get the grease off the filter. Now, if there are kids involved, there is a filter involved.

The advantage of the filter is that if fouled it can be quickly removed to continue shooting.

EBH

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.