New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D800e mount for Wimberly

shrimpone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800e mount for Wimberly

I'm getting ready to go on an overseas trip and want to lighten my kit. I have a Kirk Ballhead and a Wimberly (for my Sigma 500). I don't want to take both ballheads, I'd prefer to stay with the wimberly. I've been trying to figure out how I can mount the D800e on the Wimberly in the correct orientation using shorter and wide angle lenses. The camera mount from Wimberly mounts along the base of the camera, I need one that aligns 90 degrees from that so that the movement will work in all axis'. Any ideas?

Jan 04, 2015 at 11:56 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800e mount for Wimberly

There are quite a few custom plates for the D800/D800E

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=camera+plate+D800&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Possibly someone has experience with them, there are reviews of most of them.

Jan 04, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800e mount for Wimberly

With my RRS L-bracket on D810, I was able to mount the body on Wimberley WH-200 side-way. I raised the clamp on Wimberley all the way up.

You should be able to stand behind Wimberley and shoot. Sorry, I no longer have Wimberley.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800e mount for Wimberly

Assuming the body has an L bracket, try a rail like the RRS MPR-CL II. Something more complicated like the CB-10 package or a macro rail will also work as well.

EBH

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:08 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800e mount for Wimberly

Look for a panorama attachment. They are circular and rotate the camera to the proper orientation. Make sure it has a dovetail on the bottom or you will have to attach a generic so you can attach it to the Wimberley.
Unless you plan to shoot mostly with the 500, I would suggest leaving the heavy Wimberley head at home and using the Kirk. A lot of nature photogs still use a ball head as opposed to the gimbal with big lenses. And, the Sigma is not as heavy as some. If the 500 will be the main lens you use, though, the Wimberley is the way to go.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:12 PM
shrimpone
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800e mount for Wimberly

All good info, I'll look into the MPR-CL-II. I'll also think hard about the kirk.

I'm going back to Ecuador, I lived there for 10 years back in the 70's. For five of those uears I had a charter sailboat in the Galapagos. Going back there for a couple weeks, haven't been there since 1981. I'll use the 500 a lot out there.

Thanks for the input!

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:46 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800e mount for Wimberly

Why not pack the Kirk head and a Sidekick? Much lighter than the full Wimberley, and almost as smooth. I use a D800 with mine, but my biggest lens is only a 200 f2. Still, it balances great when mounted to either the Kirk L-plate or the lens foot, depending on the lens I have mounted.

C

PS. What an interesting life you've led!!

Jan 04, 2015 at 02:45 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800e mount for Wimberly

Something like this is what I was thinking of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Fluid-360-Rotation-Panoramic-Panorama-Head-Base-Tripod-Clamp-Arca-Compatible-/181454253684?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3f842e74[/url]

Jan 04, 2015 at 03:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.