Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

RubenL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

Some thimes, i just love to have a wider view of the game in my pictures, to let the viewer see what the player is facing. and then i love to change to the 85mm lens. but every time i come home, I am disappointed in the purple fringing i see in my pictures. It makes the pictures so soft.

I do not see it when i am shooting portraits with this lens. so i was wondering how it comes i have this fringing. Is it because the distance to the player is a little farther away then if you take a portrait shot? or can it be the lighting in the area that makes my pictures give this fringing, and, if so, what can be done about it.

I will upload some shots from the game yesterday. first 3 are with the 85mm the next with the 135mm. you can see a huge difference between the 2 lenses.

© Ruben Lamers 2014

© Ruben Lamers 2014

© Ruben Lamers 2014

© Ruben Lamers 2014

© Ruben Lamers 2014

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:40 AM
RubenL
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

Never mind, the images are to small to see the color fringing.

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:13 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

glad you said that because I couldn't see any fringing.
I know I replaced my 85mm with the 100mm because I didn't like the fringing either.
If you use Adobe Lightroom there is a place to correct for the fringing.

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:24 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

Nice pics...what sport? Handball?

I've found with the 85mm, (1.8) shooting at 2.2+ will help eliminate some of the fringing. Perhaps try shooting at 1.8 or 2.0?

And in LR, it is rather simple to remove the CA....look under the lens corrections and the color tab.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:05 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

If you're shooting RAW, it's a relatively easy fix in Adobe Camera RAW (in the "Lens Correction" menu, the "Color" tab offers green and purple defringe settings). Probably would work with jpgs opened in ACR as well. I find green fringing a bit more challenging to correct than purple, but overall, this works very well. (I deal with this all the time with gymnastics.)

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:37 PM
RubenL
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

thanks for the help, but i do not use those programs, the program i use also have that option, but i think it more replaces it with a black color. i think it makes the images looks softer and not that pleasing to watch, so i was more looking for a way to prevent it during shooting. Like told before, stopping down to 1.8 will help a lot, but at 1.2 and 1.4 i think the lens is showing almost a 3 dimensional picture. Just like the 135mm at 2.0

nevertheless, thanks for all the help.

Jan 06, 2015 at 04:08 PM
hosebag
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chromatic Aberration / Color fringing How to get rid of the purple lines.

If you use Adobe Photoshop, there is a plug-in called p-free that is very effective in post processing.
If you can't find it I could send it to you if you're interested.

Jan 08, 2015 at 11:43 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.