FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What species is it?

Trey Neal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What species is it?

This critter has a few folks wondering if it is a coyote or a wolf. I'm not sure myself as it appears considerably larger than any coyote I've ever seen and I have seen and used to hunt coyotes. I'd like some opinions.

This is a crop as it was about 500 yards away, near dusk, overcast, high ISO.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7556/16155389416_050cb5a993_o.jpg

D4s, 800mm @ f/8, 25,600ISO 1/320

Jan 03, 2015 at 12:07 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What species is it?

I'm not super familiar with their range but it's possible it could be a red wolf, or some intergrade (much more likely). A main threat to the red wolf is genetic dilution - coyotes and red wolves hybridize freely and commonly. It could be that some coyotes with some backcrosses of red wolf dna could have made it to your area. This is all speculation of course.

Jan 03, 2015 at 12:13 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What species is it?

Looks like a coyote to me

-Tim

Jan 03, 2015 at 01:32 AM
Steve Shinn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What species is it?

A couple of things might help;
Where was this image made?
Are both animals known inhabitants in the area?
Did it seem larger than Coyotes you've seen?
Other than that.. tough call especially considering the reported hybrids in the NE US and elsewhere.

' course then with this resolution it could just be some farmer's mutt.. did you try "Here boy"?...

Edited on Jan 03, 2015 at 03:06 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2015 at 02:00 AM
Bmetcan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What species is it?

Looks to be a big coyote. Comparison wise, tail is longer and bushy, legs look long and thin, and the ears look longer and pointier. Just my thoughts, I've had no formal training.

Jan 03, 2015 at 02:21 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What species is it?

They have been interbreeding and their offspring called coywolf. They are reported to be rather aggressive.

Nice image Troy

Morris

Jan 03, 2015 at 01:35 PM
GSteele
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What species is it?

Trey, I know you have seen many a well feed Coyotes up close and even this one looks even bigger than those, of course everything is bigger in Texas I suppose.

I would agree with some of the others on this being a cross bred of some sort. Could even be someone's Wolfdog that got loose.

Did you see this down at your place? Nice capture btw at that distance and equipment used.

Gary

Jan 03, 2015 at 02:05 PM
Trey Neal
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What species is it?

How in the world are you Gary Steele?? This was taken just south of the Red River. The thing that really threw me off was just the overall size and color of this critter. I've seen hundreds of coyotes and this one stands apart if it is a straight up coyote. I should have pulled out my predator call and tried to bring it closer for a better look. It was stalking whitetail deer when I spotted it and it spotted me. When it left it didn't have the characteristic lope of a coyote either. I'm leaning towards hybrid of some sort.

Jan 04, 2015 at 12:07 AM
GSteele
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What species is it?

Trey Neal wrote:
How in the world are you Gary Steele?? This was taken just south of the Red River. The thing that really threw me off was just the overall size and color of this critter. I've seen hundreds of coyotes and this one stands apart if it is a straight up coyote. I should have pulled out my predator call and tried to bring it closer for a better look. It was stalking whitetail deer when I spotted it and it spotted me. When it left it didn't have the characteristic lope of a coyote either. I'm leaning towards hybrid
...Show more

Everything is going great here and I am really enjoying retirement. Hope everything is doing well for you and the family. I haven't done much shooting recently and don't seem to get over here as often as in the past.

When it ran off was it tail sticking out or down. Down is the way Coyotes runs, a hybrid I don't know, maybe they flap their tails since they aren't sure who their daddy is. I'll pop you an email soon.

Gary

Jan 05, 2015 at 08:24 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.