Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Burrowing Owl HELP

thehotel
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Burrowing Owl HELP

Burrowing Owl Help

I am planning a trip to Yuma & the Salton Sea to try and get my first ever Burrowing Owl. We will be going the last week of Jan. or the first week of Feb.

Any ideas and suggestions on where, how or will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wacky roger

Jan 02, 2015 at 09:20 PM
Nancy Asquith
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Burrowing Owl HELP

Great idea! The southeast corner of California supposedly has more burrowing owls than anywhere else in the state, and the ebird.org species map [see link below] shows tons of sightings at the southeast corner of the Salton Sea.

You probably realize that it would be ideal to travel to the area in June, when the young owls are likely to be learning to fly. My own experience with some of the very few burrowing owls in Santa Clara County California that are not located at the off-limits parts of airports, is that owls with young spend a lot of time above ground in the last hour or two of daylight in late June. I think they are also active in early morning.

Nancy

Here is the link to ebird.org:
http://ebird.org/ebird/map/burowl?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2015

Jan 02, 2015 at 09:58 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Burrowing Owl HELP

Nancy Asquith wrote:
Great idea! The southeast corner of California supposedly has more burrowing owls than anywhere else in the state, and the ebird.org species map [see link below] shows tons of sightings at the southeast corner of the Salton Sea.

You probably realize that it would be ideal to travel to the area in June, when the young owls are likely to be learning to fly. My own experience with some of the very few burrowing owls in Santa Clara County California that are not located at the off-limits parts of airports, is that owls with young spend a lot of
...Show more

Hi Nancy, thanks for the information. May thru Oct. I am busy taking photos and videos of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic railroad so no photo trips then.

Wacky roger

Jan 02, 2015 at 10:06 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Burrowing Owl HELP

You could try digging some burrows to see if you can attract them to you ~ Ron

Jan 03, 2015 at 03:56 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Burrowing Owl HELP

surfnron wrote:
You could try digging some burrows to see if you can attract them to you ~ Ron

Probably to much snow & ice on the ground for doing it now but maybe when summer gets here.

Wacky roger

Jan 03, 2015 at 03:58 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Burrowing Owl HELP

Around the agricultural areas near the Salton Sea (Imperial County, CA), burrowing owls are common along the banks and raised embankments of the irrigation canals. Unlike the photos the of burrowing owls posted here from Florida, the western race is seen mainly in areas of bare dirt. They are out at all times of day.

A car is a good blind. Approach the owls very slowly and tangentially. Let them get used to you. You'll know when you're accepted when they go to sleep in your presence. No joke.

A big warning: do not attempt to drive on wet muddy areas in this region. If conditions are wet, stay on paved or very well graveled roads. The "alkali mud" is soapy and more slippery than black ice. It will stick to your wheels and throw them out of balance, limiting how fast you can drive. (There is a self service car wash in Brawley.) Don't think your 4wd, special tires, and high clearance will prevent sliding into a drainage canal.

All of the following photos were taken near the Salton Sea.

Good luck!
---John

Gallery: http://cubit.smugmug.com/Nature/Burrowing-Owls-Athene

Sample:
http://cubit.smugmug.com/Nature/Burrowing-Owls-Athene/i-bwch7v6/4/XL/_DSC2201-XL.jpg

Jan 03, 2015 at 04:57 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Burrowing Owl HELP

jdc562 wrote:
Around the agricultural areas near the Salton Sea (Imperial County, CA), burrowing owls are common along the banks and raised embankments of the irrigation canals. Unlike the photos the of burrowing owls posted here from Florida, the western race is seen mainly in areas of bare dirt. They are out at all times of day.

A car is a good blind. Approach the owls very slowly and tangentially. Let them get used to you. You'll know when you're accepted when they go to sleep in your presence. No joke.

A big warning: do not attempt to drive on wet muddy areas
...Show more

Beautiful images John.

Jan 03, 2015 at 05:05 PM
Storm300
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Burrowing Owl HELP

This post couldn't have been timed more perfectly. I am taking a trip down there almost the same time Wacky Roger is. From all the research I've done, the hotspots are off the southeast shore along those agricultural field roads as also mentioned here. I can't wait for my trip! -Mike

Jan 03, 2015 at 05:28 PM
Nancy Asquith
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Burrowing Owl HELP

This Audubon site tells more about the owls and their habits. You can even click on a map. Do remember they are a species of concern for California.
http://ca.audubon.org/salton-sea

Nancy

Feb 05, 2015 at 07:43 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Burrowing Owl HELP

Nancy Asquith wrote:
This Audubon site tells more about the owls and their habits. You can even click on a map. Do remember they are a species of concern for California.
http://ca.audubon.org/salton-sea

Nancy

Thanks Nancy, I am printing the available map.

Wacky roger

Feb 05, 2015 at 08:46 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Burrowing Owl HELP

The farming areas to the south of the lake are prime. Drive the roads and keep your eyes open along the banks of the canals. I found that many of the burrows have a flag or post near them to allow the farmers to know where their burrows are located. The farmers have learned the owl are beneficial to their crops as they keep rodents and larger insects in check. The flags keep them from plowing them under with their tractors. I have driven on many of the smaller dirt roads between fields also. So long as you are not disrespectful to the properties the farmers have always left me alone, and even waved as they drove past. Like John said, your vehicle is an excellent blind. They are so accustomed to vehicles they will not spook if you stay in your car. If you get out be very slow as they can be spooked easily. Have Fun!

Feb 06, 2015 at 06:21 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Burrowing Owl HELP

Jim Bau wrote:
The farming areas to the south of the lake are prime. Drive the roads and keep your eyes open along the banks of the canals. I found that many of the burrows have a flag or post near them to allow the farmers to know where their burrows are located. The farmers have learned the owl are beneficial to their crops as they keep rodents and larger insects in check. The flags keep them from plowing them under with their tractors. I have driven on many of the smaller dirt roads between fields also. So long as you are
...Show more

Thank you Jim. I will try your suggestion and if I get lucky will post some when I get back.

Wacky roger

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:20 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.