FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Jonathan H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Well, I didn't actually think it would happen, but it seems I'm getting married. I've been out of the wedding photography game for several years, so it will be interesting to see what the market has become. I'm reaching out to the FM community first, because it was here that I got my start and helped me grow a business.

This is not going to be your average wedding. It will be a woodland wedding which can only be accessed by a ~1 mile hike in with ~1,000 ft elevation gain. There is no vehicle access of any sort. The ceremony and reception site is not even accessed by a trail - it is an off trail "bushwhack" (although the terrain is fairly mellow - no machete required). The site itself is at a scenic viewpoint with large shade trees at the edge of a cliff, overlooking the Hudson Valley. Very, very, very picturesque.

We are looking for unobtrusive, photojournalistic style photography, with coverage from about 10:30am till 8:30pm (i.e. getting dressed through sunset). There will be time for a break in the middle as well. Rest assured, you'll be wined and dined like you're part of the family.

Location will be in the greater Bergen (NJ)/Rockland (NY) county area. Approximately ~100 guests. This will be a very detail oriented, DIY "rustic" themed wedding, with picnic style catering, the "tables" will be blankets set out on the ground, paper lanterns and tea lights strung up in the trees, a bonfire in the evening, etc. It's going to be a Pinterest explosion all over the forest floor

Also of note - it will be a traditional/observant Jewish wedding with all the trappings: chatan's tisch, b'deken, a hand-woven chuppa, etc. It's a plus if you've shot this kind of wedding before, but if this is all a foreign language to you, don't worry, you'll be fully briefed on what each ceremony is, what's important, and what needs to be captured.

Due to the unique demands of this scenario, it's imperative that our photographer:

1. Has the physical fitness to cope with a long day outdoors in variable weather, with a cumulative ~3 miles of hiking, partially uphill;
  2. Is able to carry all necessary gear via backpack;
  3. Has backup power options (or adequate spare batteries);
  4. Has the gear/expertise to comfortably cover scenes from the brightest mid-day sun all the way through sunset
  5. Is comfortable hiking out at the end of the day after dark (with headlamps for illumination)
  6. not afraid of a bit of rain (although we all have our fingers crossed);
  7. and finally, shares the same enthusiasm that we have for this wacky idea;

We're a low key couple, totally sane, and completely happy to let you do your thing (minus the family portraits that the grandparents will want), and we're pretty dang good looking, if I do say so myself.

If you're available on May 31st and more importantly, up for the challenge, please send me a PM including portfolio links, rates, what you include in your packages, and why you think you'd be a good fit for this wedding.

-Jon and Allison

Jan 02, 2015 at 07:12 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Never thought that trail-running 50+ miles per month to keep in shape for summitting the highest peaks of the East coast would be of direct relevance in this occupation. Glad to see that I was wrong.

Jan 02, 2015 at 08:33 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Uhhh that sounds amazing. I could carry everything I need on a shoulder bag and my Gura Gear Kiboko. Though it would be ideal if I could just camp somewhere nearby that night haha... Long day to have to hike back down in the dark after!

Sounds like one heck of an adventure though with lots of opportunities for amazing images.

http://kurtiskronk.com

I'm in Texas but we can figure out the travel bit, I have a lot of southwest points anyways plus a companion pass for my assistant.

Jan 03, 2015 at 01:19 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Not to terribly far, Delaware, but have shot in the area before. I'm strong, fit, and up for the challenge!

www.danielbostwickphotography.com

Jan 03, 2015 at 01:28 PM
carriedaway
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Man, photographers sure are good at selling their own weddings.
I can't help you, but congrats on getting married!

Jan 03, 2015 at 04:31 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

PM'd

Jan 03, 2015 at 07:46 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

carriedaway wrote:

Man, photographers sure are good at selling their own weddings.

Trying to get a deal.

Jan 03, 2015 at 09:07 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

D. Diggler wrote:
Trying to get a deal.

Haha cynical much? I read it as just excitement about their wedding.

Jan 03, 2015 at 09:14 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

If you want film and some badass BW pictures my wife and I travel well.
edit

I also live at 9000 ft. in CO and can out hike any of the fools on this board hahahaha

Jan 03, 2015 at 09:45 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

http://www.dougtreiber.com/

Look no further.

Jan 03, 2015 at 10:04 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

actually hire Chuck and Merkle they are closer and are da best. They cannot hike as well but that's ok

Jan 03, 2015 at 10:11 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

I'll be the one guy who says "count me out". About 10 years ago I shot a commercial for IBM where I had to hike 8 miles into the back country of glacier national park. I hired a bunch of young bucks to carry most of the camera gear for me but I still had to carry about 25 lbs of stuff in my backpack. It was a tough shoot to say the least. I slipped on a rock and busted my shoulder on the way up but still completed the assignment.

This wedding sounds really cool and I look forward to seeing the results!

Jan 03, 2015 at 11:11 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Doug will destroy any of us in the cardio department. That is for certain.

Jan 03, 2015 at 11:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

TTLKurtis wrote:

cynical much? I read it as just excitement about their wedding.

Realistic much. "and we're pretty dang good looking, if I do say so myself." Isn't that a game some of the brides play?

Jan 04, 2015 at 03:57 AM
abi_abelia

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

I've been in love with photography for as long as I can remember. My goal is to capture you while making you feel your best. Most of my favorite shots are not posed and include lots of natural light. I would be honored to make some memories with you through my lens.

Jan 04, 2015 at 04:17 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Sounds amazing, I can't wait to see the end results if you're willing to share. Good luck on the search!

Jan 04, 2015 at 07:58 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

www.inkuphoto.com

Practically in my backyard.

Jan 04, 2015 at 04:47 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

I am out. I just rechecked the calendar and we have a wedding the day before that in Cleveland so I would not be able to make it in time.

Jan 04, 2015 at 09:56 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Amy and I actually had a cancellation that month, so we may be available... Hit us up if you're interested.

http://hofferphotography.com

Jan 04, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Suwail
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need photog 5/31/15 - NJ/NY area

Question : How will catering be transported to your venue? Mmm.

Well for me I do hike the concrete jungle on NYC for half of my weddings. Plus the highs and lows of parking and crossing the street.

Your pitch is definitely visually interesting and I love outdoor tent weddings.

www.MadeOnFilm.com

Jan 06, 2015 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.