Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

rtallent
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

:
The Sigma DP-2 ... low iso only (usable)

In color! - the following monochrome is from a DP3M at iso 3200
http://www.pbase.com/rtallent/image/158631110/original.jpg

Jan 02, 2015 at 05:58 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

Rx1 and use it with the 50mm crop mode ?

Fantastic build quality, quiet leaf shutter, fantastic lens and great high ISO performance.

Jan 02, 2015 at 11:15 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

I love gm1+Oly 25mm 1.8 combo. If you are looking for a evf, then there is also gm5. I use gm1 with silent e-shutter. It doesn't have the rolling effects like Pana gx7, since panasonic used 10bits with gm5. So it hurts a little on the dynamic range and noise, but gain is on the sharper prime lenses eg compared to RX100/LX100 zoom options which has similar/cclose dxo sensor scores. Oly 25mm is sharp wide open even in the corners, better then the panaleica 15mm & 25mm. GM1 af has very fast af and even works in very low light.

All the images at pbase w/ oly 25mm 1.8 are mine:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/mzuiko_25_18

I used it last summer when my sister and her family visited us and I like the 50mm view better then the 35mm. Those shots were not posted...

gm1+25mm & different lenses
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1275420/0
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1266814/2#12070868

Jan 02, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

Ming Thein has an interesting article on the same subject:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/01/03/the-fast-compact-normal-conundrum/comment-page-1/

His solution is an X-T1 and the 32mm Touit. Great image maker, I am sure, but bigger than what I want. I am using the X-100s in 1:1 mode in the meantime.

@ Bob: I have thought about this many times, but the clip-on EVF is a deal-breaker for me. If an RX-2 comes out with a finder, I may reconsider. That lens is stellar, for sure.

Jan 04, 2015 at 12:07 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Ming Thein has an interesting article on the same subject:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/01/03/the-fast-compact-normal-conundrum/comment-page-1/

His solution is an X-T1 and the 32mm Touit. Great image maker, I am sure, but bigger than what I want. I am using the X-100s in 1:1 mode in the meantime.

@ Bob: I have thought about this many times, but the clip-on EVF is a deal-breaker for me. If an RX-2 comes out with a finder, I may reconsider. That lens is stellar, for sure.

An XT-1 is not even remotely close to being compact. Thus I find his solution to be odd to say the least.

Also (potentially) odd is the decision to use 1:1 format. Do you display your images square? If not, then why shoot if you are going to crop anyway?

Jan 04, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

ratty, I agree, and that's why his solution does not work for me.

The 1:1 choice is reflected reasonably precisely in the optical finder, but I am shooting Raw as well as the 1:1 jpeg, which is uncooked as you know, so have the best of both worlds (while waiting for a 45–50 EFOV compact with a built-in finder!). I can see the whole Raw frame inside the optical finder for those times when I want to use the full recording area of the sensor.

Edited on Sep 21, 2016 at 03:12 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2015 at 12:17 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
ratty, I agree, and that's why his solution does not work for me.

The 1:1 choice is reflected reasonably precisely in the optical finder, but I am shooting Raw as well as the 1:1 jpeg, which is uncorked as you know, so have the best of both worlds (while waiting for a 45–50 EFOV compact with a built-in finder!). I can see the whole Raw frame inside the optical finder for those times when I want to use the full recording area of the sensor.

Do you ever display your images square? That's a format I'm distinctly uncomfortable with. One of the great features of my two Fuji rangefinders is their ability to shoot both 6 x 7 as well as 6 x 6 format. I've shot a total of ONE roll of film in the 6 x 6 format. I don't have the talent to pull off square. Not that my talent is much good for 6 x 7 either.

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:28 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Does a 45-50mm EFOV fixed lens largish sensor compact camera exist?

I hear ya'. I do display some images in this format (but only on Instagram). It's more about re-seeing the familiar for a period, then going back to 3:2 (or 4:3). I make all the images for my products and they are always rectangular, so a change is nice for personal work. Plus 1:1 with the 100s lens is equivalent to 80mm in 6x6 as someone noted above, and I loved that format in the day (from the maximally practical perspective of not needing to turn the camera 90 degrees to frame a portrait!).

Jan 04, 2015 at 01:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.