New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

diamondroad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

I'm looking for a Great ten stop ND filter for my Canon 24-70 F2.8 mark ii.

Any help or opinions would be grateful.

Thanks
Steve

Jan 02, 2015 at 01:10 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

Lee Big Stopper hands down.

Jan 02, 2015 at 05:01 PM
crisdesign

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

there aren't may options... lee big stopper or Heliopan ND 3.0. Heliopan is a screw filter and while more compact it's more annoying to use – i have both and i want to sell the heliopan. With the filter on you can't see anything trough the viewfinder. So i would recommend teh big stopper (even if bulkier) just because you can frame your shot without filter and then slide the filter in when you are ready to shoot.

Jan 03, 2015 at 08:47 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

Well...I guess I differ on this...as I use a variable 10 stop ND and its a screw on and works great!!!

I can see through it (at 0)....frame/compose, etc......then turn dial to the desired effects...and shoot!!!

When I got my version II model...was upset that I had to buy the 82mm size...but then I figured
that I would just get a 77 to 82 step up adapter for the other glass that is 77....all is good now

Several vendors to chose from...but I got rid of my "lee" setup due to the versatility of the variable filter.

Jan 05, 2015 at 01:44 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

I agree tha the Lee Big Stopper is probably one of the best. Easier to deal with when shooting and more forgiving cool color cast. It can get pricey though since you'll need the foundation kit as well. I don't know about these days, but in the past it had a notorious wait list for it. Might be more readily available now a days though, I have no clue.

B+W, Heliopan are two great brands for screw on filters. There's a few other brands that are cheaper and some say are pretty comparable. The magenta cast can suck at times, but some post work can deal with it. It's difficult to see through so if you're constantly changing comps it can be a PITA to deal with.

Everyone is different so it's something you need to evaluate and decide at the end.

Jan 05, 2015 at 06:18 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

boingyman, do you know if the Lee Big Stopper filter would fit in a Formatt Hitech 100mm aluminum filter holder? I am wondering more about thickness of the slots than the width. I am also looking into getting a strong ND filter and am interested in what the options are. The Formatt Hitech 100 mm filter holder is reasonably priced. I have the 85mm aluminum holder made by them and like it a lot.

Jan 07, 2015 at 06:19 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

All the 10-stop NDs (82mm) I have tried get very uneven lighting after 6 or seven stops. Tiffen makes a good 10-stop VND but keep in mind about this limitation.
Heliopan and B+W XS-Pro make variable NDs with less stops but they are all usable.
I have tested both and ended up with the B+W XS-Pro 82mm.

Someone mentioned the Big stopper. Yes, it's the best option for 10-stops (non-variable) but can't screw on your lens.
Fred

Jan 07, 2015 at 06:28 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

I use a Hoya ND x400

Link is for the 77mm version, but there are 82mm versions on ebay

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/155266-REG/Hoya_A77ND400_77_mm_Neutral_Density.html

Jan 11, 2015 at 07:17 AM
Paul67

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

Recently I purchased a filter kit for my 14-24mm Nikon lens from ProGreyUSA. I was very impressed with the build quality and workmanship of their kit and the ease of placing and removing the kit from the lens.

I notice that on their website (http://www.progreyusa.com) they also offer 77mm and 82mm 10 stop screw ND filters. I have no idea on the quality of these filters, but if they are as good as their 14-24mm kits, they might be worth considering.

Jan 11, 2015 at 07:52 AM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

Haida 10 stops is better than LEE Big stopper, i bought that Haida just late, because i bought LEE big stopper twice after i broke the first one by mistake, now i will never look for LEE filters.

http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/nd-filter-review-lee-big-stopper-formatt-hitech-prostop-irnd-haida/

Jan 15, 2015 at 04:45 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

Tareq wrote:
Haida 10 stops is better than LEE Big stopper, i bought that Haida just late, because i bought LEE big stopper twice after i broke the first one by mistake, now i will never look for LEE filters.

http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/nd-filter-review-lee-big-stopper-formatt-hitech-prostop-irnd-haida/

+1, i have read the review and was pleasantly surprised that the haida does not exhibit color cast. i have used the lee big stopper and always experienced color cast.
i plan to try the haida when opportunity arises.

not sure if haida makes an 82mm required by the author of this posting though!

tom

Jan 15, 2015 at 05:13 PM
bbvaj
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

I have used Lee Big stopper in the past. Though the quality is good, I felt its cumbersome to use and having to carry the whole Lee kit is a hassle.

I recently tried Singh-ray's Mor-Slo 10-stop ND filter. Its optical performance is great. No discernible color casts. If you are ok with $400 price tag, It is a great choice.

Since i do not plan to use ND filter on multiple lenses and 82mm is enough for me, I sold the lee kit.

Jan 15, 2015 at 05:38 PM
roberto1979
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best 82mm ten stop ND filter

I have the Lee Big Stopper. It's ok I guess. It gets the job done, but I think the color cast is a bit extreme. I recently purchased the Little Stopper which is the 5 stop version. I'm a much bigger fan of it, and it gets me the effect I'm looking for. If I ever decide that I truly need the 10 stop again, I'm going to step up to Singh-Ray's.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.