New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Upgrading Question

jdubphoto22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading Question

This holiday season I have welcomed some extra cash in to my coffers. I am looking to upgrade a camera body with the money.

My current setup is as follows:
7D
5Dc
70-200mm f/2.8 non-is
24-105 f/4
50mm f/1.4
20mm f/2.8
(The primes rarely get used)

I am a photojournalist that shoots a lot of sports as well. Right now I am thinking about upgrading the 7D to the mkii or upgrading the 5Dc to a 6D or 5Dmkii. I am also contemplating sitting on it and waiting to see if any upgrades to the full-frame lineup comes out in the first half of the year. My equipment is working fine, I just think I would benefit a bit from some higher iso help.

Let me know your thoughts on my inability to settle on a route.

Thanks.

Jan 02, 2015 at 10:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading Question

Can you figure out if you need the high ISO performance boost more on photos that you typically take with the 5D (FF) or more for those from the 7D?

Jan 02, 2015 at 11:29 AM
jdubphoto22

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading Question

They both could use a boost, it depends on what I am shooting. I'd like cleaner high iso shots for sports (indoors or on friday nights) with the 7D, but I shoot most my news and feature stuff with the 5D since I like the colors more on that and 1600 is limiting and I could benefit being able to shoot things at 6400+ with the colors the full-frame brings.

So I guess its between widening that iso range with the FF vs cleaner high iso sports photos.

Another thing, I've had the 5D for a shorter time and my 7D has been through a lot and is closer to wearing out, I think. (it certainly gets more shutter clicks with the sports/8 fps, but has had its shutter replaced 1.5 years ago)

I feel like if I bought something today, I would lean slightly towards a full-frame upgrade, but Im worried with the age of the full-frame lineup I might be feeling sour in a few months when the new ones come out.

Jan 02, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading Question

Used 7D2 & used 6D. Forget about a new FF, as it will probably cost as much as those two combined.

Jan 02, 2015 at 01:46 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading Question

jdubphoto22 wrote:
This holiday season I have welcomed some extra cash in to my coffers. I am looking to upgrade a camera body with the money.

My current setup is as follows:
7D
5Dc
70-200mm f/2.8 non-is
24-105 f/4
50mm f/1.4
20mm f/2.8
(The primes rarely get used)

I am a photojournalist that shoots a lot of sports as well. Right now I am thinking about upgrading the 7D to the mkii or upgrading the 5Dc to a 6D or 5Dmkii. I am also contemplating sitting on it and waiting to see if any upgrades to the full-frame lineup comes out in the first half of the year. My equipment
...Show more

If you are a photojournalist who shoots sports too, you don't want to hold out for the new 55mpx camera. You don't need 55mpx for photojournalism or sports. So no need to wait. Its likely to be slow fps (data requirements), expensive, and not have fast focus (this is a landscape camera).

I don't think you want to pursue the 6d for sports or photojournalism. 6d is too slow for sports or photojournalism.

It comes down to 7dii or 5diii. Or 24-70 2.8.

For me, there is a bigger gap in your body line up with 5d vs 5diii, than 7d vs 7dii. The move from 5d to 5diii would be dramatic - way better low light, way better focus. Whereas 7d to 7dii, is not as big.

I would be inclined to 5diii over 7dii.

5diii vs 24-70 2.8. I can't believe someone in photojournalism does not have a 2.8 lens. You can pick up a v1 of 24-70 for cheap. But I think for photojournalism 24-70 v1 2.8 or better is necessary.

So I vote for 5diii and 2nd hand 24-70 2.8.

Jan 02, 2015 at 01:58 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrading Question

Over here I rarely see a PJ with a crop body (except the odd 1D IV)

5D3 & 24-70II would be the best option with a 16-35IS for wide and your 70-200 for longer I would have thought.

Jan 02, 2015 at 02:04 PM
jdubphoto22

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrading Question

I think the 5Dmkiii is out of my price range I was looking at a mk2 or a 6D

Jan 02, 2015 at 02:05 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrading Question

I don't know what some of you are smoking, but most photojournalists dont make much these days and they have to buy their own equipment. The PJs at my local paper are using cameras at least this old with variable aperture zooms. A 5D3/24-70 2.8 are just too rich.

Anyways, I'd say trying out a 5D2 or 6D. 5D2 carries over similar controls. 6D is a bit newer but a downgrade in body. Very good high ISO.

Jan 02, 2015 at 02:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrading Question

If it comes down to the 6D or 5DII, I'd take the 6D. I upgraded my 5DII to a 6D a couple of years ago. Now I have two 6D.

Jan 02, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrading Question

Scott Stoness wrote:
I don't think you want to pursue the 6d for sports or photojournalism. 6d is too slow for sports or photojournalism.

Since he already uses a 5D & 7D, he would probably find the 6D does just fine when not using a 7D2:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1326029/0?keyword=6d#12650056

Jan 02, 2015 at 02:36 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrading Question

For PJ or many forms of documentary work I really love my 5D3. I think that's where I make use of the AF the most and really enjoy the quick controls, responsiveness of the camera, high ISO capabilites.

Jan 02, 2015 at 03:10 PM
jdubphoto22

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrading Question

Thanks everyone for the responses. As sb in ak noted, this is self funded so I can't go out get a 24-70mm and a 5Dmkiii. Until a few months ago I was without a zoom in the mid range just using the fixed 20 and 50mm. Has there been any solid talk about a 6D replacement in the coming year? I don't have to jump to a new camera, I can try my best to hold of buying a new "toy."

Jan 02, 2015 at 04:24 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrading Question

If you don't use the primes, sell them. The two of them will net you 550 or so. If I'm you, I'd pick up a 6D. The 6D (with the excellent high ISO) and 24-105/70-200 will cover a lot of photojournalistic work. Personally, I'd keep the 7D - the 7DII is better, but the difference is less than the difference between the 5D and 6D.

That's a very good 2 camera/2 lens set up.

Jan 02, 2015 at 04:33 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgrading Question

I love the image quality of my 6D but I still struggle with the absence of the joystick. I find it less than ideal for shooting sports of any type. My vote would be 5DIII used. Prices are around 2k - I agree with jasonpatrick - sell a prime or two and that will make up the difference in price from the 7DII.

Good luck

Jan 02, 2015 at 09:07 PM
jdubphoto22

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgrading Question

Thanks for the help guys. I will sit on my decision for a month. See how I am doing in February and also start working on selling of some of my gear that isn't getting much use. I'll lean towards the 6D unless I can pull the trigger on something nicer.

Jan 03, 2015 at 04:09 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgrading Question

The 7DII sensor is much better than any previous Canon sensor in terms of noise.

I prefer to buy intro newer technology near the beginning of a cycle. If I bought anything right now it would the the 7DII. I have pulled the shadows up 5-6 stops with no banding and no artifacts. This is fairly technical, but worth the time:

http://www.clarkvision.com/reviews/evaluation-canon-7dii/

Now the cost of a new FF body from Canon might be prohibitive. But the 5D3 and even the 6D are pretty pricy used for the amount of time that they have been out, compared to their expected life cycle.

So buying the latest, or waiting to see what is next in full frame seem the better strategy for right now. Good luck!

Jan 03, 2015 at 07:19 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgrading Question

What?? I assume you're talking crop sensor...otherwise I call BS 😜

mmurph wrote:
The 7DII sensor is much better than any previous Canon sensor in terms of noise.

Jan 03, 2015 at 11:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgrading Question

mmurph wrote:

jasonpatrick wrote:
What?? I assume you're talking crop sensor...otherwise I call BS 😜

I thought it was only about 1/3 stop better than the 70D and nowhere near the Canon FF sensors.

EBH

Jan 03, 2015 at 11:23 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgrading Question

I have to mirror what Scott Stoness stated.........and throw this into the mix

based on your own statement...that the primes hardly get used....sell the primes as well and
add to money gained...and sell the 5d...hopefully enough to get a used 5DMKIII

I use my 5DMKIII more for sports action than most other areas (my 1DMKIV gets pulled first)
when I need another stop of ISO performance. It's 6 fps isn't that bad and sounds like it should work
for your settings

Between the 7D2 and 5D3....I'd still lean towards the 5D3....the only thing missing is the extra 4 fps from the
7D2....and still better ISO performance.

Having now spent about three weeks assisting a friend in getting his 7D2 setup...and using it....my previous
statement defiantly stands.

Also...I think if you re examine your lens lineup...and look at selling the ones stated and maybe one more,
you may be able to pull off a 24-70 2.8 as well.....and you really need one!!!

Jan 04, 2015 at 12:04 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgrading Question

I guess you missed the part where the OP said the 5DIII is too expensive.

Jan 04, 2015 at 08:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.