Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Keep Me Accountable! (some recent work)

Jonathan Knight
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keep Me Accountable! (some recent work)

A while back I started this thread about getting back into the "landscape game" after many years as a photojournalist / people photographer: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1299303/0#12397182

I went to the Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of May and was pretty discouraged by what I got (as evidenced by that thread). I felt like as a seasoned photographer, nothing was going to phase me to just totally switch into a new subject matter (sarcasm font needed). I was re-energized this summer with making images after I read "The Art of Photography" by Barnbaum(?). I am even more keenly aware of the differences and perspectives I must take to make great landscape images versus photojournalism images. It is a total adjustment in planning, approach, and post-processing. It is a totally new way of shooting for me compared to the hustle and bustle of making photojournalism images at sporting events and out in public: slow, contemplative, less moving, more waiting!

The biggest hurdle so far has been post-processing and not being afraid of the dodge/burn tools. My photojournalism workflow consisted of opening an image, maybe doing some levels tweaks, sharpening and "boom" that's basically it. I'm not sure I touched the dodge or burn tool more than 10 times in 10 years.Get it done and get it in the paper. I am (slowly) adjusting to this new way of post-processing (still probably on the minimalist side). I even went back through both Yellowstone and the Tetons and re-worked many photos.

I hope to get out once per week this year for a few projects I have in mind but balancing school and multiple part-time jobs is always a challenge! I hope by starting this thread (and others) everyone can keep me accountable!

I would love any comments on some recent work! (including some reprocessed Yosemite and RMNP)

http://66.147.244.176/~jknightp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RESIZE_Barn01012015.007.jpg

http://66.147.244.176/~jknightp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RESIZE_RMNPLongs01012015.jpg

http://66.147.244.176/~jknightp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RESIZE_RMNP1.jpg

http://66.147.244.176/~jknightp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RESIZE_Falls01012015.jpg

Jan 01, 2015 at 04:01 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keep Me Accountable! (some recent work)

Hi, Jonathan,
Welcome back!
I am not a guru, but since you asked, I'll give you some feedback.

Out of this set, I really like #3, would not change it except for the weird black dot under the cloud on the right side. Not sure if it is helicopter or sensor particle.

#1 needs some straightening and more contrast on foreground. Also, tree branch on the top left is just hanging there without really belonging to any tree. Including partial subjects into the frame generally needs to be avoided, especially when it is a strong, contrasty feature, such as in this case.
I like #2, but I would add some contrast - not by increasing it in final B&W image, but by processing each color differently on conversion stage. There is the same problem as with #1 - partial subject, but to lesser degree. Having the same "helicopter" in the same location makes me think your sensor needs cleaning.

Composition-wise, #4 is nice, but B&W conversion left trees and rocks at the same contrast/tone level, so it looks messy. Try to adjust luminosity on each color separately, that will help you to visually separate foreground from background.

Good luck shooting in New Year!

Sasha.

Jan 01, 2015 at 05:20 PM
Jonathan Knight
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keep Me Accountable! (some recent work)

Hi Sasha, thanks for the comments. I agree about the trees in number 1. I saw that after I posted and already fixed it. Oops.

I kinda liked the softness /low contrast feel in number one and two, but I can see the merit in a bit more contrast on 2. I will work on number 4. There was a lot of quick dodging and burning to make the waterfall stand out, but it could have been cleaner to be sure.

Thanks for the comments. I will take another look with your feedback in mind.

Jan 01, 2015 at 06:07 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keep Me Accountable! (some recent work)

I think the depth and contrast in #2 really stands out for me. I like this one a lot.

If 3, 4 had the same grey scale range as opposed to a lot of darks, I would appreciate them more.

David

Jan 01, 2015 at 06:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keep Me Accountable! (some recent work)

I am really liking #2 here, a very nice composition, and the B&W processing looks really nice.

Jim

Jan 01, 2015 at 08:51 PM
Jonathan Knight
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keep Me Accountable! (some recent work)

Thank you for the comments, David and Jim!

Jan 01, 2015 at 09:21 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.