New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Alyson

Anurag
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alyson

Was looking at some older images from the summer. Found these two that escaped the radar earlier. Thoughts?

Dec 30, 2014 at 04:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alyson

I am clueless on portraiture but I hate to see any post go without a reply.

In the first shot, the triangle at upper left is a light trap and along with the fairly bright OOF green brown stuff in front of her eyes pulls me away.

For the second, I would crop a bit off the top to eliminate that bright bit of thatch roof. The stuff at the right is ok, just the few hanging down on the upper left side. The sky color seems off but color is not my forte.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alyson

I like the top one...that blue eye draws me right in. I'm ok with pose and composition. I like the natural framing. Facial exposure is perfect (for me), the lower part of the arm is a little blown out-maybe could tone that down a bit?
Background nice and blurred. Attractive subject for sure.

Second shot I'm struggling with a little. Position seems "awkward" and unnatural. Not sure about the composition on this one either. Exposure/color seems "ok" to me.

For me the difference in the two shots is night and day...

Edited on Dec 31, 2014 at 06:38 PM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alyson

Thank you Ben and Mongrel.

I just noticed the triangle in the upper left. I was trying to stick to the rule of thirds but breaking the rule offers a better solution here. She was sitting in the shade and it was pretty bright out. I was having a hard time balancing out the exposure in Lightroom. I'll try working on the elbow again but I think the highlights might just be blown on it. =/

The second one, I have an uneasy feeling about but I don't know how exactly to fix it. Figured I'd post it here and see if someone could pin point where exactly the feeling stems from.

Dec 31, 2014 at 06:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alyson

A nice capture.

Maybe some classic mono and a trim. You've got some strong lines in play, and I like how the arm/elbow mimics the wood "V" shape although it is more implied after the crop.

Dec 31, 2014 at 06:14 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alyson

Mongrel wrote:
ISecond shot I'm struggling with a little. POSITION seems "awkward" and unnatural. Not sure about the composition on this one either. Exposure/color seems "ok" to me.

For me the difference in the two shots is night and day...

Sorry...I meant to type "position" seems awkward....(not post).

I think if you work on different positions with your model you could work this out. You definitely have some great light available there...

Dec 31, 2014 at 06:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alyson

Colors seem a bit wonky on this one for some reason.

Tried to make some tweaks, still not really where I'd like them ... might be a candidate for going mono.

Dec 31, 2014 at 07:27 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alyson

Re: 1st photo, prefer Rusty's black and white conversion and pp as it does away with the distracting color background behind your subject. Very pretty model, nicely framed. The flyaway hairs on the front of her face are distracting to me, especially as they conceal most of her front eye.

Jan 01, 2015 at 02:31 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alyson

She looks uncomfortable in both, which is a shame since #1 has very nice framing and lines. I like Rusty's BW conversion. FWIW

Jan 03, 2015 at 04:29 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alyson

I like the first, but there's a reflected light issue on her arm that detracts. I'd also suggest a bit of liquify and dodge/burn to reduce the impression of a flaccid upper arm. Also, perhaps bumping the hue, maybe +5 to reduce the pink/red in her skin. The pose and composition of the second doesn't work well for me.

Jan 05, 2015 at 04:38 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alyson

The Beauty of a Woman is in her Soul which shines through her Eyes.....and her deeds.

Get that right and she will love you forever.....or hate you....or love your friend....you get the picture

Jan 05, 2015 at 12:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alyson

Well seen. Never be afraid to rotate your camera when making a portrait. Although, it's not necessary to go to extremes: http://petapixel.com/2015/01/05/vietnamese-photographer-strange-ways-framing-shots/

Jan 05, 2015 at 03:49 PM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alyson

I can barely get things right with the camera level Rotation is well down the list of things I need to learn first

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I thought that my processing led to the image being too saturated but after seeing the edits, it seems washed out. I prefer the crisper versions people have suggested.

Jan 05, 2015 at 04:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.