Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

eorlando
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

Here is my issue. I have a 300mm f4 af-s lens and a d7100. In the past month or so I have been having issues with the autofocus and this lens. It started off a month ago where I would turn the camera on hit the button on the back to acquire focus and the camera would do nothing. If I released the button and pressed it again a few times it would eventually get focus. It seemed that once the camera warmed up to speak it would focus fine. Well, this weekend it started doing it more often even after taking a few pics and waiting a few minutes the focus problem would happen again. The camera wouldn't focus on the initial push of the back button. After a few tries it would aquire focus. Yesterday I decided to put the 300 on my old d300 and the 16-85 on the 7100. No issues with either lens or body. They focused fine. I swapped them back to take pics at the beach today (300mm on the 7100) and the focus problems are back. Any suggestions? Is there a reset I can try? I a at a loss and it is driving me crazy. Please help!!!

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

I had a D3x once that wouldn't work with one of my lenses - worked on my second D3x though. Turned out my contacts were worn and I had to send the body in for repair. No problems with the new set of contacts.

Could be that there's just a dirty contact in the body or on the lens causing the issue, I'd try cleaning them first and see if that helps.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM
eorlando
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

Thanks Steve for the advise. I cleaned the contacts and so far so good. We will see first thing in the morning what it does. The funny thing is I tried it a handful of times last night and this morning and the focus was fine. As soon as I got to the beach to actually take photos the focus started acting up. Figures. As far as the contacts being worn out I wouldn't imagine that would be the case. The 300 is pretty much glued to the body and I don't swap lenses very often.

If anyone else has any suggestions I am all ears. I will post back in a day or two and let you know if all is good or if I still have the issue.

Dec 30, 2014 at 06:23 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

I agree about the contacts and it may be as simple as dirt. You can clean them with a q-tip and WD 40. Spray the q-tip facing away from your camera with some WD 40 so that the q-tip looks wet, not dripping wet. Then use the wet end to clean the contacts on both the lens and camera.

good luck,

Morris

Dec 30, 2014 at 08:39 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

Curious to see if you have further issues. When I shot with a D7100 I had intermittent issues with focus - mainly when using teleconverters, though. It made several trips to Nikon and was never really fixed to my satisfaction. It would work for weeks and then go through periods of unreliability.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM
rovin47
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

I have a D7100 also that when coupled to my Nikon 200-400 works very intermittently on the auto focus This same lens works great when on my D300. The D7100 seems to work fine on a Nikon 600 F4 that I used use with the camera. I finally sent it in to Nikon to get it checked out almost two months ago and waiting to see if they found or improved anything.

Dec 31, 2014 at 09:58 AM
eorlando
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 300mm and 7100 focus issues...Please HELP!!!

Update-So I didn't get a chance to shoot very much today but when I did I had no problems with the autofocus. I did turn the camera on multiple times today just try the autofocus and same thing…no problems what so ever. I will keep my fingers crossed and update after a few more days. Thanks to all those that replied!

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.