New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Curious problem with an SD card

Shutterbug2006
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Curious problem with an SD card

On Saturday night I was taking shots on my Canon 6D and everything was working fine for a time. All of the sudden, for no reason, the camera wouldn't turn on when I turned on the power switch. Neither LCD would show anything. It was like there was no battery in the camera.

Through a process of trial and elimination, I determined that the Transcend 8GB SDHC class 6 memory card, whenever it was inserted in the camera would make the camera not power up.

I had to remove the memory card AND temporarily remove the battery, to make the camera work again. It works fine with any other memory card, but when I stick the Transcend card back into the camera, it won't turn on until I remove that card AND remove/reinsert the battery.

I inserted that memory card in my computer card slot and it doesn't recognize it. I can see it tries to access it, the green LED blinks twice every 5 seconds, then remains lit. It keeps doing that, but the card doesn't show up in My Computer.

Every other card works just fine.

It appears that the card is defective. I'd like to get any photos off that card if I could, but no matter what device I plug it into, it reports that there is no card.

While the card is inserted in the memory card reader, if I click on Manage in My Computer, it won't show any hard disc drives in my computer - until I remove the Transcend memory card.

I realize the card is defective..... does anyone know if there is any brute force hardware device that I can use to retrieve any files, that doesn't require me to be running an operating system on a computer to access the card?

I think this is the first card in ten years that has gone bad on me. If I take that same memory card and put it in a 1D Mark III, it reports the card is not formatted, but if I try to format it in that camera, it fails.

It also fails to display any photos on the card in the Canon 1D Mark III. At least that camera doesn't die when it tries to access the card.

I'm willing to try anything to get the files off that card before throwing it away.

Any suggestions you can think I should try?

Dec 29, 2014 at 08:23 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Curious problem with an SD card

Sounds like the micro-controller in the card has died and is no longer responding to commands over the SD pins. If your photos are important you might try looking into software/hardware that can read the files via SPI mode (example).

Dec 29, 2014 at 09:09 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Curious problem with an SD card

Get yourself a new card, toss this one if you can or can't get anything off it.
I've never had an issue with Sandisk Extreme cards.
They also come with recovery software.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Curious problem with an SD card

snapsy wrote:
Sounds like the micro-controller in the card has died and is no longer responding to commands over the SD pins. If your photos are important you might try looking into software/hardware that can read the files via SPI mode (example).

Brilliant!! Thanks! Definitely looks promising.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Curious problem with an SD card

To summarize, you shot photos on a card that has subsequently refused to play nice with either camera or computer?

I second Snapsy's suggestion to try "alternative methods of access". Whatever you do, don't put the card in any other cameras. Try rescuing the data via computer first.

And since I'm on ordinals, I third the suggestion regarding SanDisk. I've used a fair amount of memory products from different manufacturers, and for sure I will never use Lexar nor Samsung memory products ever again. SanDisk and Delkin have proven to be the lowest "drama" denominator of any memory products I've used.

Dec 30, 2014 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.