New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

joychris
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

Any updates on the performance of the monitor? Still happy with your purchase. Looking to get a UHD/4k display soon. Thanks.

chris

Feb 03, 2015 at 10:40 AM
jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

I returned mine. 4K on the desktop isn't ready for prime time... at least on the Mac side of things.

Feb 04, 2015 at 07:41 PM
joychris
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

I'm running a new Mac Pro, trying to decide which direction to go. A large 4k panel would be ideal, but it's so hit and miss right now. Hmmmm.....

Feb 04, 2015 at 07:55 PM
Greg Lutke

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

* Updated*
Yes, had mine for about a month. Just fantastic piece of hardware. I would suggest custom calibration and turn off the Super Resolution +. Not sure if this was a default or I accidentally turned it on - but it needs to be off for photographers, for sure. This is a big deal.

The one button menu took awhile to understand. It's really like any other monitor once you figure out this menu.
Another advantage is the brightness - if you need it in a well lit room. Can always turn it down appropriate for printing.

I'm using Windows 8.1, 64 bit with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 with 4GB GDDR5, so the native resolution is great and no problem with speed. DisplayPort as well.

Just a special monitor with unique options. The best monitor I have seen for photography.

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:15 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

Is the 31MU97 semi-gloss or a full matte panel? LG describes it as "Advanced anti-glare".

Apr 02, 2015 at 09:37 AM
toniskask

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

Well, here's my 4k update. Maybe someone can get some inspiration from this. For a few weeks, I've working behind my Dell P2715q (Hackintosh with Gigabyte GTX 760). The transition has been quite smooth. I don't quite understand people complaining compatibility. Maybe it depends what you need (more pixels vs "cleaner" output). I run the monitor in HiDPi mode, meaning I cannot get more pixels, indeed, but this is giving me the crisp text and extremely detailed pictures on the canvas at the same time. So finally got rid of that "blurred" text that has annoyed me for so many years..

As I have Windows machines too then tried the 4k on Win 8 also. Windows applications are much less compatible, I must say. But after making software for Windows for over 17 years I also understand why the scaling is such a pain ...

In general I must say that this has been the biggest technology jump I've done in years. Quite affordable too, comparing to other expenses in this hobby (or work for some).

Apr 02, 2015 at 01:14 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

I just recently purchased this monitor as well. The display is absolutely gorgeous. I have no issues with my windows system. Outputing 10bit from my firepro card in adobe rgb mode calibrated with my i1display pro. Colors are extremely accurate. On my macbook retina issues pop up. I can only get 3840x2160 leaving black bars on the side. Also limited to 30hz makes for chopping displaying.

I have little to complain about though. Just did some test prints through aluminyze and they came out almost identical to this monitor both in color and in brightness (something I have always struggled with).

Luckily though

Apr 02, 2015 at 05:10 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

What about the hp z27q?

Apr 04, 2015 at 02:55 AM
Creativeoutlet

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

I've had this monitor since it was released and have tried both on a 2014 Macbook Pro (Main) and Windows 8.1. The quality for me is very good, no dead pixels, no light bleed. It looks nice. The number of inputs is good. 4k still just doesn't seem ready for prime time tough. I have to use a number of 3rd party tools to switch the resolution size, when my mac goes to sleep and then back on again I typically have to reset the screen. Sometimes the monitor cuts out after sleep and shows "snow" on one of the sides of the panel. These are more nuisances than real problems. My lesson learned is you must use the correct display port cable, typically the one it came with, otherwise you with get slow slow 30hz response.

Lastly I've historically always wanted as many pixels on the screen as possible for screen real estate. I think with 4k and 31 inch monitor its just to hard to see text at full resolution.

These really need a higher speed display port connection, avoid the technology of splitting the screens somehow and just overall refinement.

Amazon Link

Apr 05, 2015 at 01:05 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

I really wish Apple would release their own 27-30" 4K monitor. I'd love to get one for my new Mac Pro but they all seem to come with caveats.

Apr 13, 2015 at 05:49 PM
rdcny
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 4K monitor - LG 31MU97-B

just received the LG 31MU97-B monitor - will have more to say in the coming days; suffice to say for now it needs to be calibrated with an x-rite eye-one or similar...and the x-rite software (not the LG software which is good but I could not figure out how to set monitor brightness to anything less than the factory 180 candelas...with the eye-one pro software I could set to 120 with no problem).

Feb 03, 2016 at 03:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.