Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · IR Conversion, any advice and/or thoughts!

Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · IR Conversion, any advice and/or thoughts!

kodakeos wrote:
What kind of banding issues did you have after conversion? I didnt notice any on my rebel, rebel xt, 40d or current M in the tens of thousands of photos.

No banding issues on the rebel cameras. Different sensor than the 5D series. Its just a problem with the Canon 5D series sensors that can be made worse with infrared. Any black sky areas and very dark shadow areas will show banding.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:02 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · IR Conversion, any advice and/or thoughts!

Lots to think on, thank you all for your insights and wonderful images. I'm quite partial to xxD bodies, have just not liked the Rebels much at all, big hands with smaller bodies just isn't my thang.

If I went smaller body, I have thought on getting a used M and converting it, I've a lot of older FD glass; IR filters from my film dayz, and the combo might make for an interesting experiment.
Again, thanks to everyone, FMers are the best
Jerry

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:14 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · IR Conversion, any advice and/or thoughts!

StillFingerz wrote:
Lots to think on, thank you all for your insights and wonderful images. I'm quite partial to xxD bodies, have just not liked the Rebels much at all, big hands with smaller bodies just isn't my thang.

If I went smaller body, I have thought on getting a used M and converting it, I've a lot of older FD glass; IR filters from my film dayz, and the combo might make for an interesting experiment.
Again, thanks to everyone, FMers are the best
Jerry

Jerry,
Its a lot of fun to shoot IR. I love it. If you do use your old IR filters on your M body be prepared for some long exposures. The just don't work quite the same as an IR conversion. Have fun!

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · IR Conversion, any advice and/or thoughts!

Klaus Priebe wrote:
No banding issues on the rebel cameras. Different sensor than the 5D series. Its just a problem with the Canon 5D series sensors that can be made worse with infrared. Any black sky areas and very dark shadow areas will show banding.

I am using a converted 5D MkII with 715 nm cutoff filter - I simply avoid high ISO numbers for IR, and I have no banding issues here. I don't see it any of the black areas in my IR photos taken with this camera. Since the AA filter was removed for the IR conversion, the resolution which I can achieve with this camera in infrared is fantastic. This said, I agree that this sensor in general has banding issues - I have seen it a couple of times in dark red areas on my regular color 5D MkII camera at high ISO especially when shadows are pushed.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:05 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · IR Conversion, any advice and/or thoughts!

Hey Stillfergerz,

I have a Rebel XTi that I was going to convert through LifePixel and they really discouraged me from using a camera WITHOUT LiveView, so I bought a refurbished Rebel SL1 from Canon Direct for less than half-price, which has worked out great. I had the "Super Color IR Filter" installed and it's been really fun. My only regret is that I didn't have the money to do it with a full-frame camera, but who knows what the future holds. Eight months later, I'm still experimenting w/ the whole thing, but what I've learned is:

1. You are really limited by which lenses you can use;
2. If there is sun anywhere nearby, your camera is going to find it and burn it into your photo!
3. 90% of the work is in the post-processing, not in the field, unlike regular photography;
4. The Super Color IR Filter gives you both spectacular color images AND equally spectacular black and white images, it's up to you how you process the image!!!
5. Only organic matter is affected by IR, so foliage is mainly altered. If you take photos of a city scene, your buildings and sidewalks, etc will not change color, only the trees around those buildings.

It's been well worth it and I want to do more of it this next summer, but you have to get out in the woods and take pictures of water and trees, that seems to yield the best results. GOOD LUCK - it's a lot of fun!

Canon EF 17-40mm L Lens on a Rebel SL1 (IR image from LifePixel)

Notice that in this color IR image, all cement is unchanged in color; foliage is changed.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.