Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 100-400L II HS Football

Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 100-400L II HS Football

This is the first new glass I've bought in many years without trying it first. I pre-ordered on day one. I figured based on how much better the MK II glass has been, I'd try it. I have the 100-400 MK I and liked everything but the push-pull. Mine was a good copy, smoke'in hot with the new generation of cameras! With the 1D2/3/4, I would only bring it out at solar noon on a cloudless day. With the "X" & 5d3 those bodies could focus better with less light which made the lens much more versatile.

I picked up a 7d2 and really bought the lens to use on that body since I've all but welded a 400 2.8 on my 1DX. I had not had the time to set up the new lens with the 7d2 so I took it out to my last football game of the year. I took about 4 shots with it on the "X" before I left the house thinking, "Hmmm looks good to be"... I had my 400 2.8 on my 1d4.

The only images I've seen with the new glass on FM have been birds. Since the only birds I shoot are with my Browning.... I had to wait for a day game to try out the new glass.

I like it! My copy required no MA on my "X", it was good out of the box. I found the focus quick, the lens tack sharp at every focal length. The Bokeh is good but certainly not 2.8 good. The MK II is IMHO an all-round upgrade over the MKI for field sports.

About these images: Blue turf.... I hate it... It was a pain to color correct these. Some blown highlights on the pants... I threw in one image with the 400 2.8 to compare... Enjoy

Ralph

© Ralph Thompson 2014

Players going across the middle aren't a chore for the

© Ralph Thompson 2014

Player coming straight at me. I shot 5-6 images while zooming back. All sharp.

© Ralph Thompson 2014

Here's the 1d4 w/ the 400 2.8 (non-IS MK II)

© Ralph Thompson 2014

Final image of a sequence. These were taken with Frank L's focus settings, The camera did not hunt for focus even with muliple possible targets in the frame.

Dec 28, 2014 at 05:44 PM
Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 100-400L II HS Football

Ralph,

These look pretty good. Thanks for the quick review of the lens. I was thinking of going out there and shoot with you and Gary but it was such a nice day, plus I hate shooting on that blue field.

Dec 28, 2014 at 09:56 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 100-400L II HS Football

Ralph Thompson wrote:
This is the first new glass I've bought in many years without trying it first. I pre-ordered on day one. I figured based on how much better the MK II glass has been, I'd try it. I have the 100-400 MK I and liked everything but the push-pull. Mine was a good copy, smoke'in hot with the new generation of cameras! With the 1D2/3/4, I would only bring it out at solar noon on a cloudless day. With the "X" & 5d3 those bodies could focus better with less light which made the lens much more versatile.

I picked up
...Show more

nice shots, I use the original 100-400 for field sports, primarily lacrosse and soccer. someday maybe I'll upgrade if the MK2 price drops enough

Dec 30, 2014 at 06:46 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 100-400L II HS Football

Ralph,

On my monitor, that lens makes the grass look blue Sorry, I couldn't resist. Looks like it could be a very nice daytime option.

Happy New Year.

Rick

Jan 01, 2015 at 06:21 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 100-400L II HS Football

rddayton wrote:
Ralph,

On my monitor, that lens makes the grass look blue Sorry, I couldn't resist. k

the blue field is disconcerting (and strange)

Jan 04, 2015 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.