New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Lens MA question

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens MA question

Just curious how people use Micro Adjust for lens auto-focus and what your experience is with it. In the interest of simplicity, there are options I have left out: e.g. MA works great on this body but not that one, primes but not zooms, etc.

Thanks!
keith

Dec 28, 2014 at 09:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens MA question

I do AFMA tests with all of my cameras, lenses, and where appropriate extender combinations. Over half of the 81 combinations I currently have in action are AFMA = zero (i.e. no correction), and only two are outside of +/-5 steps (-6 and 10), but you never know until you try.

Dec 28, 2014 at 09:18 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens MA question

My testing routine when buying new lenses is to take real world photos amd then determine whether the lens needs adjustment. If the lens is a new Canon lens, I take the lens to Canon for re-calibration(I live 40 mins away). I have done this with two Canon lenses I own, my 24L II and the 50L. Otherwise no lens I own needed AFMA.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens MA question

The more critical DOF becomes the more important MA becomes. If you are shooting wide angle and stopped down for maximum dof the difference MA makes becomes non existent. On the other hand if you are shooting macro or with long glass the difference MA makes becomes greater. Granted that is an over simplification but works as a rule of thumb.

Tim

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens MA question

I voted for "I MA any newly-acquired lens -- it really improves focus performance" in spite of the fact that goes too far: It does indeed improve focus performance when it is in fact needed; but it's not always needed. One doesn't know whether or not it's needed for any given combination of body and lens until one undertakes to find out.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens MA question

I MA all my lenses and bodies...fortunately the newer Canon lenses seem to need very little adjustment compared to the older versions.....

Dec 28, 2014 at 02:02 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens MA question

jcolwell wrote:
I do AFMA tests with all of my cameras, lenses, and where appropriate extender combinations. Over half of the 81 combinations I currently have in action are AFMA = zero (i.e. no correction), and only two are outside of +/-5 steps (-6 and 10), but you never know until you try.

Curious. What method do you use to test?

Thanks...Al

Dec 28, 2014 at 02:58 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens MA question

I do all my lenses and both bodies - all combinations. It helps with some combos, but not all need it. The key is that I know certain combos don't need it - no wondering if I can get sharper results as long as I do my part ~ Ron

Dec 28, 2014 at 03:20 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens MA question

Indoors under artificial light I use LensAlign. Outdoors with longer lenses I shoot a barbed wire fence at an angle, focussing on a post. The barbs are spaced perfectly to be able to set MA, even on the body LCD.

If you find that the correct MA is not easy to judge, get rid of the lens. It's a stinker. Really good lenses can be set within an MA point using the camera LCD.

Canon reports that 8MA points is one depth of field. I'm not happy with any lens that requires more than 5 points MA adjustment. My 70-200 II is the only lens I have with an MA of Zero (both wide and telephoto)

Dec 28, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens MA question

If any of my lenses or camera bodies are 4 to 5 points or more they go to Canon. On two occasions Canon has told me that MFA is for emergencies only and should be sent it. This does not include a TC.

I fully understand manufacturing deviation but I have found of both the body and lens are correctly calibrated by Canon, even if both are done in different departments very little MFA is required.

Funny you should mention the 7-200 II. Mine was not right from day one and I sent to NJ under warranty about 18 months ago but I'm not sure if they were very thorough with it. I was having a discussion with Canon about 3 weeks ago and mentioned that lens again. They suggested I send it to Newport. Newport found that a circuit board was not calibrated correctly which caused mis-focus which is why it needed excessive MFA to correct it. @ 200mm Dot Tune did not even register at - 1 and went all the way to +18 before it stopped beeping. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I kinda like your barbed wire approach.

Canon reports that 8MA points is one depth of field. Can you explain this please. This is my take take on it but I'm probably wrong. If my lens is F4 and I use the DOF calculator I get these numbers. 300mm at 50 feet on a crop gives me a total DOF of 1.26 feet. So if I make an adjustment of 8 either way I have shifted the focus point 1.26 feet?

Dec 28, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens MA question

Just to point out that was the first lens I have ever sent in for warranty work.

Dec 28, 2014 at 06:03 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens MA question

Zenon Char wrote:

I kinda like your barbed wire approach.

Canon reports that 8MA points is one depth of field. Can you explain this please. This is my take take on it but I'm probably wrong. If my lens is F4 and I use the DOF calculator I get these numbers. 300mm at 50 feet on a crop gives me a total DOF of 1.26 feet. So if I make an adjustment of 8 either way I have shifted the focus point 1.26 feet?

That's the way I interpreted the note as well. I have not checked it out by mis-adjusting MA by 8 points yet.

Dec 28, 2014 at 06:05 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens MA question

I'm glad the MA option is there but about 2/3 my lenses are perfect at default. The remaining 1/3 typically need 2 to 3 points MA for optimal sharpness. My most extreme example is my 24-70 4L: needs +5 at the wide end and 0 at the long. My new lenses and cameras seem to require more MA whereas my older gear is usually fine at default.

Dec 28, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens MA question

That is interesting. Thanks. I was shooting aircraft landing and I figure I was about 200 feet away. That gave my 300L F4 IS a total of 32.2 feet. No wonder the manual states it is best to MFA at the location you are shooting.

Dec 28, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens MA question

Zenon Char wrote:
That is interesting. Thanks. I was shooting aircraft landing and I figure I was about 200 feet away. That gave my 300L F4 IS a total of 32.2 feet. No wonder the manual states it is best to MFA at the location you are shooting.

I'm not sure what MFA at location has to do with this scenario. Stop down yes, but MFA.

Dec 28, 2014 at 07:28 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens MA question

I have used MFA for all my lenses, old lenses are generally okay (as they were on the old bodies, that I still have), newer lenses need some more attention.

Dec 28, 2014 at 07:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens MA question

I have three bodies with AFMA capability: 1Ds3, 1D3 and 5D2. Both 1D bodies have been repaired and adjusted by Canon to be accurate.

Out of the three bodies and 20+ lenses for each (had to delete some over 20, but noted the adjustments), I came up with only 9 that registered "zero" out of 70 critical evaluations. 9/70 is the ratio for my bodies. So, basically all need some slight adjustment.

I can see a difference of +/- 1, and am getting pretty good at getting close after viewing the first shot at know subjects/distances.

I've gone from anti-AFMA to a devoted user.

Dec 28, 2014 at 07:40 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens MA question

For my 600mm with my teleconverters I see a huge improvement in sharpness. They were not off by 1 or 2 but were optimally sharp around +/- 10-14 range.
For my normal and short tele lenses, they look great and never bothered.
If I had a fast prime, I would definitely MA that to be sure since DOF is small.

David

Dec 28, 2014 at 07:46 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens MA question

Vancouver47 wrote:
I'm not sure what MFA at location has to do with this scenario. Stop down yes, but MFA.

Sorry I typed in 200 feet instead of 250. So @ 50 feet = 1.26 vs @ 200 feet = 32.2 feet total DOF. What does 8 increments of DOF mean then? Distance to subject has nothing to do with it? I'm just trying to understand this.

If you follow canons instructions of 50X @ 50 feet it is 1.26 feet. Some others recommend 25X which is .31 feet. So moving 8 increments produces different results between the 2.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens MA question

When I get a new lens or camera I test it out on real world objects, wooden fences,white road markings and so on. It quickly becomes apparent if there are any focus issues. If so I AFMA and test again. For combinations that are off the adjustment works a treat. I have only had to do it for about half my lens-camera combinations.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.